47 replies to this topic

#21 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:39 PM

Preview's up at CBR. Looks like it'll be a Thoth-Amon centric issue, at least at the start.

#22 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Sailing the deep blue sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

I am not kidding: the art is PERFECT!! Amazing, really. Dream-like. Let`s see the whole package when it comes out.
I still don`t like the colors in some panels though. Vilarrubia sometimes comes up with some odd tones. Maybe it is just my ignorance.

#23 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

Fabulous art!!

#24 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:51 AM

I like it better than #1. Thoth-Amon is a better story-teller than King Conan; it moves!
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#25 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:09 PM

I am not kidding: the art is PERFECT!! Amazing, really.

Seriously! This is great stuff. And I like all the detailed background on Thoth-Amon, for it really adds to the story.

Notice how Thoth says, "Know you, Dion of Attalus..." Similar to "Know you, oh prince..."
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#26 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Looks like it isn't just women laying in bed with Thoth-Amon...

-Hell of a party.

#27 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

-Hell of a party.

The women do not look happy. But at least they're still alive after a night with Thoth-Amon? Or maybe that isn't a good thing?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#28 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 12,939 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Excellent art. B) Reminds a little bit of JB/Alcala. That said, I disagree with a few of Giorello's artistic choices. Are we to believe that T-A was literally "run out of town" by a stone-throwing mob? Surely Thoth was a little more furtive (and smarter) than that. Otherwise, his rivals would've had his head.

However, it DOES show what a helpless loser (as a wizard) he was without his pet Ring. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#29 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,939 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

-Hell of a party.

Yeah, T-A seems to be all-terrain in the boudoir.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#30 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:28 AM

Bleeding Cool considered the shocking reveal of Thoth-Amon in bed with a man and a woman to be newsworthy.

Personally, I thought of Thoth as conditionally asexual, more because he's *that* much of an egotist than anything else. If he considered the conquest of kingdoms to be "paltry" ambitions, what would he care for the conquest of the bedroom? :D Now, sexing up some Cthulhoid horror for a demonic pact or forbidden lore, on the other hand, that I could see him doing.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#31 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 04:40 AM

Posted Image
"In the sixties, I made love to many, many women. Often outdoors, in the mud and the rain. And it's possible a man slipped in. There would be no way of knowing."

#32 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

Excellent art. B) Reminds a little bit of JB/Alcala. That said, I disagree with a few of Giorello's artistic choices. Are we to believe that T-A was literally "run out of town" by a stone-throwing mob? Surely Thoth was a little more furtive (and smarter) than that. Otherwise, his rivals would've had his head.

However, it DOES show what a helpless loser (as a wizard) he was without his pet Ring. :)

I don't think that's a mob of stone-throwing plebs. I think it's an elite mob of wizards, who would have had the expertise to ferret him out and isolate him from royal protection.

Edited by Ironhand, 15 February 2012 - 05:19 AM.

#33 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:02 PM

Bleeding Cool considered the shocking reveal of Thoth-Amon in bed with a man and a woman to be newsworthy.

There were obviously too many women for Thoth-Amon to satisfy all by himself, so he needed a buddy to help him out, that's all. ;)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#34 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 12,939 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

I don't think that's a mob of stone-throwing plebs. I think it's an elite mob of wizards, who would have had the expertise to ferret him out and isolate him from royal protection.

So why didn't they kill him? THAT is obviously what T-A fears all the way north in Aquilonia. He needs "royal protection". If those were "elite wizards" (ie, Thutothmes and the Black Ring) they could've put the Black Hand on the weasel and had done with it.

No, Thoth got away from his colleagues somehow. Apparently, NOT before the local Stone-Throwers Union had their crack at 'im. :rolleyes:

#35 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

Well, I read this, and it wasn't the greatest issue. It was a real transition issue, letting Thoth Amon exit the stage and moving onto the next piece. Really, really beautiful art though.

#36 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:50 AM

And here is my review posted!

http://www.comicsbul...phoenix-sword-2

#37 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:04 AM

Although I collect the individual issues, I read them when I've got them all so imagine the bridging issue won't be a problem and that art does look good!

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#38 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 06:56 PM

Although I collect the individual issues, I read them when I've got them all so imagine the bridging issue won't be a problem and that art does look good!

Terry

I kinda do the same thing- every couple of months I pick up my pulls. I'd go nuts if I did it issue by issue lol.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#39 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:49 AM

Terry

I kinda do the same thing- every couple of months I pick up my pulls. I'd go nuts if I did it issue by issue lol.

Same here... I read all issues of an arc or a mini together :)

#40 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Sailing the deep blue sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:10 PM

Great story, perfect art and colors! Giorello today is the best Conan artist around (not saying others aren`t great too...)
I want this team to keep adapting Conan Stories. These guys they just get better, and better, and better, it seems there are really no limits to this team. Just check the splash pages of # 2 and the colors: tension, suspense and terror... heavy and gloomy atmosphere.
I`m really happy with PotS right now.
Kudos for # 2, which makes me chill just to think of the whole arch when finished.