Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Posted Image

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,026 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

That cover illustrates a scene from the "lost" version of TPotS, apparently. :rolleyes: Other than that, not bad.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

That cover illustrates a scene from the "lost" version of TPotS, apparently. :rolleyes: Other than that, not bad.

Nope, that scene is clearly from Conan of Aquilonia, Shadows in the Skull to be exact. :wacko:
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Whever it's from, I think it's great B)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#5 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword #2

Conspirators move in the shadows as King Conan's troops move to quell a Pictish uprising, leaving the newly crowned king exposed to the machinations of four influential traitors who seek to wrest the crown from Conan's lifeless brow! But something even deadlier moves silently in the night, answering the call of the ancient serpent god Set. A faithful servant of darkness, the wizard Thoth-Amon toils in Aquilonia and prays for a rebirth of power that will unleash untold evils!

* Adaptation of the classic Robert E. Howard story by Tim Truman and Tomás Giorello!

* Stunning fantasy covers by Starman cover artist Andrew Robinson!
Posted Image Pre-Order King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword #2 Now @ TFAW.com

Creators
Writer: Tim Truman Artist: Tomás Giorello Colorist: José Villarrubia Cover Artist: Andrew Robinson
Genre: Action/Adventure
Publication Date: February 29, 2012 Format: FC, 32 pages Price: $3.50 UPC: 7 61568 16031 4 00211

#6 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Great cover, BTW...

#7 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:45 AM

So issue one has Conan riding a horse with a damsel clutching him, now issue two has Thoth-Amon grappling Conan in a goozle - neither event remotely happening in the story in question. Issue three will no doubt see Conan battling a bug-headed mutant atop a giant dragonfly in space.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#8 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

Posted Image

That's a mighty spiffy looking outfit. Since when do slaves get to dress like Pharoes? :blink:
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#9 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:03 AM

Issue three will no doubt see Conan battling a bug-headed mutant atop a giant dragonfly in space.

That's in the unrated extended cut.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:57 AM

King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword #2

Conspirators move in the shadows as King Conan's troops move to quell a Pictish uprising, leaving the newly crowned king exposed to the machinations of four influential traitors who seek to wrest the crown from Conan's lifeless brow! But something even deadlier moves silently in the night, answering the call of the ancient serpent god Set. A faithful servant of darkness, the wizard Thoth-Amon toils in Aquilonia and prays for a rebirth of power that will unleash untold evils!

* Adaptation of the classic Robert E. Howard story by Tim Truman and Tomás Giorello!

* Stunning fantasy covers by Starman cover artist Andrew Robinson!
Posted Image Pre-Order King Conan: The Phoenix on the Sword #2 Now @ TFAW.com

Creators
Writer: Tim Truman Artist: Tomás Giorello Colorist: José Villarrubia Cover Artist: Andrew Robinson
Genre: Action/Adventure
Publication Date: February 29, 2012 Format: FC, 32 pages Price: $3.50 UPC: 7 61568 16031 4 00211

Actually, the quoted blurb does not contradict REH's TPotS. The pictures, on the other hand, have nothing to do with TPotS.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#11 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

See, I'm all for thematically cool illustrations - see Frazetta - but sometimes it can be immensely misleading.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#12 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:06 PM

See, I don`t care if the cover has something to do or not with the story, I think it is cool and very beautiful. And being a Truman adaptation, I`m confident it will be faithful to the original story as it has always been.

#13 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:24 PM

See, I don`t care if the cover has something to do or not with the story, I think it is cool and very beautiful. And being a Truman adaptation, I`m confident it will be faithful to the original story as it has always been.

I like the cover, too, and Truman is my favorite non-Howard Conan writer by far. Just having a little fun.
Posted Image

#14 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

Actually, the quoted blurb does not contradict REH's TPotS. The pictures, on the other hand, have nothing to do with TPotS.

Conan comics covers have a loooong history of not being always in total adequation with the actual content, which is sad since most were quite good and still are

Edited by JainkhulTamhair, 24 November 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#15 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 06:05 PM

Issue three will no doubt see Conan battling a bug-headed mutant atop a giant dragonfly in space.

You mean...this ?
Posted Image

#16 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 08:05 PM

I think over the years many comic covers don't really reflect what's inside , I would rather see the interior artists doing the covers as well.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#17 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

You mean...this ?
Posted Image

"By Crom, this is the last time I let anyone give me any Purple Lotus dust!"
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#18 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

You mean...this ?
Posted Image

Haha!! That is one epic Conan cover.

Truth be told, I've probably yet to see a comic book cover that is a perfect representation of what is really inside, and I'm all right with that.

#19 icarus

icarus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

I'm very interested in the Conan the Barbarian line. It looks like their starting off with everybody's favorite story. I was ecstatic to see that Dave Stewart is back on colors!! I hope this will mean a return to the gritty and realistic colors from the early part of the series. I looked into some of Becky Cloonan's work and she looks to have some pretty impressive chops herself.

http://media.tumblr....yCtM1qzmnjm.jpg

http://media.tumblr....Vc6B1qzmnjm.jpg

Posted Image

In this sweeping adaptation of Robert E. Howard's fan-favorite "Queen of the Black Coast," Conan turns his back on the civilized world and takes to the high seas alongside the pirate queen Bêlit, setting the stage for an epic of romance, terror, and swashbuckling. This is Conan as you've never seen him, with the combination of one of Robert E. Howard's greatest tales and the most dynamic creative team in comics!

* A perfect jumping-on point for new readers!

*A bold, fresh take on the Cimmerian.

* "Queen of the Black Coast" is the most-requested Conanadaptation!

Posted ImagePre-Order Conan the Barbarian #1 (Massimo Carnevale cover) Now @ TFAW.com

CREATORS
Writer: Brian Wood Artist: Becky Cloonan Colorist: Dave Stewart Cover Artist: Massimo Carnevale

#20 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

i think, for the most part, there's seriously a lot of tremendously dramatic scenes they could have picked for the covers. this one's not bad, and it basically says the wazir is thoth-amon. not that that is exactly a secret.

this cover for QotBC, Conan looks like a petulant barista whose band got bumped to the next night. I'm trying to imagine him uttering some of the dialogue and it just isn't clicking yet.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."