54 replies to this topic

#1 DrSolarMOTA

DrSolarMOTA

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:19 AM

At least Dark Horse hasn't completely forgotten this line.

Here's a link to an Amazon stub:

Savage Sword of Conan Volume 11
Preliminary release date: May 2012

-Greg

#2 bthom

bthom

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN VOLUME 11 TP
Larry Yakata (W), Michael Fleisher (W), Don Kraar (W), Pablo Marcos (A), Val Mayerik (A), Ernie Chan (A), Gary Kwapisz (A), Dave Simons (A), Rudy Nebres (A), and Michael Golden (Cover)
After many journeys trading his feared sword arm for gold, Conan returns to the land of his birth, Cimmeria, only to find his family murdered and his sister enslaved by a ruthless rival clan. While the mighty slayer cannot bring back the dead, he can still mete out a terrible vengeance, but can even a warrior as skilled and merciless as Conan take on an entire clan whose treacherous hands hold a blade to his sister's throat?
536 pages, black and white, $19.99, in stores on May 2.

Bill Thom
Coming Attractions
http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/
Pulp Series Character Reprint Index
http://www.pulpcomin...ndex/index.html
The Works of Robert E. Howard
http://howardworks.com/

Posted Image

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:37 AM

Technically excellent illustration, but Conan wouldn't be caught dead in such an outlandish getup. :P
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

OK, that might be one of my favourite covers for these volumes.

Undoubtedly for entirely wrong reasons, but still...

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#5 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

Technically excellent illustration, but Conan wouldn't be caught dead in such an outlandish getup. :P

Perhaps it's supposed to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies, but it makes me chuckle. But yes, great illustration, regardless.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#6 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm sorry but that is such a bad picture i can't even imagine some one got paid for it.

#7 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:21 AM

Larry Yakata (W), Michael Fleisher (W), Don Kraar (W), Pablo Marcos (A), Val Mayerik (A), Ernie Chan (A), Gary Kwapisz (A), Dave Simons (A), Rudy Nebres (A), and Michael Golden (Cover)
After many journeys trading his feared sword arm for gold, Conan returns to the land of his birth, Cimmeria, only to find his family murdered and his sister enslaved by a ruthless rival clan. While the mighty slayer cannot bring back the dead, he can still mete out a terrible vengeance, but can even a warrior as skilled and merciless as Conan take on an entire clan whose treacherous hands hold a blade to his sister's throat?

Bill Thom
Coming Attractions

Posted Image

Worst. Conan illustration. ever. It's actually painful to look at. And what's with the bare feet? Did Conan decide not to wear boots into battle for some reason?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#8 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,140 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

Perhaps it's supposed to strike fear into the hearts of his enemies, but it makes me chuckle. But yes, great illustration, regardless.

Definitely over the top and not my favorite Golden pic by far. However, the man is one of the GREAT comic artists of the last 30yrs and I would love to see him get another crack at Conan/the Hyborian Age. Check out some of the images in this link:

http://www.google.co....1.5.2.6.2l16l0

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#9 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

Definitely over the top and not my favorite Golden pic by far. However, the man is one of the GREAT comic artists of the last 30yrs and I would love to see him get another crack at Conan/the Hyborian Age. Check out some of the images in this link:

I liked the cover he did for the issue with "The Mill" the best...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#10 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Definitely some great stuff, and there's no doubt that he's a very good artist. The cover for this SSOC volume is a good painting too, it just fails as Conan (and it may not be Golden's fault, for I know). Some of his other covers are much better...

#11 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:14 PM

I like this cover, though I admit it is not an easy one to like. The colors are nice (purple and yellow, very beautiful) and Conan over the horse with his bare feet is a very original idea... I`ve never seen him riding a horse like that. The heads over the ground amid the fire look like Conan is riding the Highway to Hell, he, he. AC/DC would be a nice soundtrack for the main story with a cover like that. And how about the helmet???? Weird and cool at the same time.

Edited by Aquilonia, 11 December 2011 - 11:16 PM.

#12 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

something i just noticed, the horse seems to have a third leg. ahem.

Edited by monk, 11 December 2011 - 11:48 PM.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#13 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:20 AM

I think this is Conan at a Fancy Dress costume. We are seeing the "gigantic mirth" come into play ...

#14 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

All that armor . . . and no boots. :lol:

And Conan's family has been murdered? I'm shocked --- shocked --- I say! Such a thing has never happened before!
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#15 mbern45

mbern45

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:58 AM

something i just noticed, the horse seems to have a third leg. ahem.

You're right, the horse definitely has 3 legs at the back.

#16 Hyborian Frog

Hyborian Frog

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

Pre-ordered! What issues does this volume cover?

#17 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Bill Thom
Coming Attractions

Posted Image

this is simply HORRENDOUS.
They took Hulk, painted him candy pink, put him on a caricature of the Death Dealer's horse and stuck on him a Warhammer armor, attire which is too smal by the way. A carnaval-esque Conan.

Dark Horse did a serious mistake, they should have considered Jusko's excellent #112 or #115 cover art for Savage Sword vol11.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Michael Golden isn't my favorite artist by any means, but if Dark Horse is so hungry of Golden art, they should have waited till next Savage Sword volume (# 12) and put the SSOC # 124 cover instead. That is a leagues better than the drug induced "Hulk-on-a-pony-in-Halloween-armor" caricature.
But personally I'd take (for vol12) #127 as first choice, or 121, 124 or 126 in no partricular order.
Here is golden's #124
Posted Image

Honestly, when republishing cult material such as Savage Sword issues, Dark Horse shoul organize polls on this same REH forum such as "which cover would you like to see for volume X which will compile issues number A to number B ?"

Edited by JainkhulTamhair, 25 December 2011 - 06:27 AM.

#18 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:02 AM

his best cover was for the Mill, by far.

#19 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,844 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

Dark Horse did a serious mistake, they should have considered Jusko's excellent #112 or #115 cover art for Savage Sword vol11.
Posted Image

If DH was looking for a cover that would look appealling to a male comic fans, this one would have worked very nicely.

#20 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Posted Image

If DH was looking for a cover that would look appealling to a male comic fans, this one would have worked very nicely.

I can already hear the lamentation of the feminists . . . :P
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard