#81 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

It was...okay.

Again, the additions to the story seemed to add little. Conan going over the side, in his armor, to have an underwater battle with a few foes made me roll my eyes.

Yes, the underwater combat scenes are best forgotten as quickly as possible (a task made easier by the fact they never actually happened).
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#82 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:23 AM

It was...okay.

Again, the additions to the story seemed to add little. Conan going over the side, in his armor, to have an underwater battle with a few foes made me roll my eyes.

Yes, the underwater combat scenes are best forgotten as quickly as possible (a task made easier by the fact they never actually happened).

Yeah, stick only to the original and don`t add anything, so that the story gets as predictable as possible and so that I feel it is the 100000th time I read this story.
Wait... why would I buy the magazine, anyway, if it were only the original in comic book? Is this supposed to be a copy or an adaptation? I`m confused now...
Adding a fight under the water really spoils the whole arch! No doubt! I think I will stop buying the story. Maybe I`ll go to court against Dark Horse. Maybe adding a battle under the water is a crime. I will check this out.

Edited by Aquilonia, 19 March 2012 - 02:21 PM.

#83 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:37 AM

It was...okay.

Yeah, stick only to the original and don`t add anything, so that the story gets as predictable as possible and so that I feel it is the 100000th time I read this exacty story.
Wait... why would I buy the magazine, anyway, if it were only the original in comic book? Is this supposed to be a copy or an adaptation? I`m confused now...
Adding a fight under the water really spoils the whole arch! No doubt! I think I will stop buying the story. Maybe I`ll go to court against Dark Horse. Maybe adding a battle under the water is a crime. I will check this out.

Don't get so excited. Just forgeddabottit. Or not.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#84 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

The underwater bit may have been a little silly, but this is a comic book after all, and you need to add what you can to keep it visually interesting and not just page after page with closeups of Conan swinging a sword (since they obviously decided not to get too gory with it). I think it works fine enough for this comic.

#85 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

It was...okay.

Yeah, stick only to the original and don`t add anything, so that the story gets as predictable as possible and so that I feel it is the 100000th time I read this exacty story.

Geez, Aquilonia, I said it was an okay comic. And it was.
And I said that the scene in which the Cimmerian takes to the sea in his mail shirt is silly. And it is.
I did not go off on a tooth-gnashing hate-frenzy and declare my loathing for DH and this comic. Nope.
Believe it or not, there is a middle ground between abject worship and utter hatred.
And that is where I am at.

#86 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Sold out! gotta wait till tomorrow. At least I got the last Savage Sword on the shelves.

#87 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Sold out! Good news...

#88 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:18 AM

Sold out! gotta wait till tomorrow. At least I got the last Savage Sword on the shelves.

My comic shop was full of it.

#89 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Finally read issue #2. Had to wait a bit longer because I ordered it online. All and all, its a very good issue. I really enjoyed the carnage, and I especially like the fact that Wood kept the original text about smashing skulls and ripping out entrails (with only minor changes). All and all, a very good issue, and a lot more faithful to the original story than I was anticipating. I agree with some of the previous comments that "make me your queen" didn't quite do it for me, and neither did the underwater sequence, but these are insignificant complaints. I enjoyed it.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#90 JohnitoZ

JohnitoZ

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:36 AM

I can appreciate that different artists have a different take on his appearance, but those little pointed teeth that Cloonan gave him on almost every page really distracted me throughout the whole book.

#91 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Conan don't need no stinking belt buckle. Otherwise, cool!

Seriously, skull decorations seem Stygian to me.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian