#1 bthom

bthom

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #2
Brian Wood (W), Becky Cloonan (A), Dave Stewart ©, Massimo Carnevale (Cover), and Leandro Fernandez (Varinat cover)
Death has come for Conan and his fellow sailors in the visage of the privateer Belit! Rage and desire mingle in an orgy of slaughter as the barbarian and the pirate queen glimpse each other for the first time--as opponents in a battle to the last man!
32 pages, $3.50, in stores on March 14.

Bill Thom
Coming Attractions
http://www.pulpcomingattractions.com/
Pulp Series Character Reprint Index
http://www.pulpcomin...ndex/index.html
The Works of Robert E. Howard
http://howardworks.com/

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:27 PM

Great Gravy! That first picture is absolutely beautiful!!!!

#3 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:34 AM

I kinda like these, particularly the second cover.

Edited by KG Thunder, 10 December 2011 - 12:46 AM.

#4 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

The first cover composition is fantastic, the art is not my cup of tea. Cover 2 is amazing. Just plain amazing.

#5 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:28 AM

These are both great! That is the real Conan!

If these are alternate covers for #2, I will have to own them both.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#6 DutchHowardFan

DutchHowardFan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands - Near the misty marshes of Kinderdyk

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Great, great, and beautiful.
This is the real Conan.
Keep up the good work.
I love it

#7 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 03:59 PM

really liking the first cover , great job i think.

#8 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I'm a bit confused by the first picture: if it's the Tigress, why are there no black corsair corpses, just Argosseans - giving the impression that Conan just killed all his crewmates? If it's the Argus, then what's Belit doing there?

Argh, I'm doing it again... It's a really nice cover, all things considered.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#9 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

i thought the same thing , but all in all i like the style of it and conan looks better then we have seen in this arc(at least to me )
but ya it seems like things are a big reversed from the original story.

#10 Duar2009

Duar2009

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

I enjoyed both of these. The first reminds of "Hawks of Outremer" from Boom! studios. The second one is cool too. I wonder how they will look with the logo?Hopefully the logo will not be too bulky.

Edited by Duar2009, 10 December 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#11 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,777 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Both are great covers! I especially like the first one. In the second one it looks like Conan's enemies are aiming for the birds instead of him. ;)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#12 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:44 PM

Cover 1:

Good composition. Doesn't follow story. Hate the outlined blood splotches. Belit looks...rather not hot, and kind of dumpy in places.

Cover 2:
It really irritates me when artists don't know how to draw things, and one of the big pet peeves I've had over the years is when they don't know how to draw bows and arrows...technical detail I know and I don't mean to sound petty, but nobody shoots like that. Arrow gets knocked over the knuckle of the pointer finger, not thumb. It's dramatic, nice use of color and tone, but we're getting a little whacky with the sword again. It's just little things, this series needs an art director.

Skull belt buckle? Really....lol...does he have a wallet that says "Bad Muthafugger" on it too...
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#13 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

monk, I'm with ya on the belt buckle and the "dainty" way he is drawing the bow. things like that drive me nuts, it doesn't matter if its art or on tv or seeing some one do it for real things like that drive me crazy.

#14 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 01:08 AM

I'm a bit confused by the first picture: if it's the Tigress, why are there no black corsair corpses, just Argosseans - giving the impression that Conan just killed all his crewmates? If it's the Argus, then what's Belit doing there?

Argh, I'm doing it again... It's a really nice cover, all things considered.

I agree it's confusing, but there does appear to be at least one black corsair, his head being in the lower right corner.

#15 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:12 AM

the more i look at the first one- i'm starting to take a dislike to the coloring. the blood splotches being outlined in black, i disliked immediately. now that i look again, it seems like this was done on an old koala pad and a C64. the style of the sky doesn't match the style of the foreground and i don't think juxtaposing the styles like that is working for me.

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#16 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 05:14 AM

Both covers are vast improvements over what I've seen so far from issue one.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#17 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Cover 1:

Good composition. Doesn't follow story. Hate the outlined blood splotches. Belit looks...rather not hot, and kind of dumpy in places.

Bear with me. I just downloaded Explorer8.

The cover's OK. Agree that several elements could be better.

Cover 2:
t really irritates me when artists don't know how to draw things, and one of the big pet peeves I've had over the years is when they don't know how to draw bows and arrows...technical detail I know and I don't mean to sound petty, but nobody shoots like that. Arrow gets knocked over the knuckle of the pointer finger, not thumb. It's dramatic, nice use of color and tone, but we're getting a little whacky with the sword again.

That would be "nocked". ;) Despite nimrod arguments to the contrary, the HA Cimmerians were no more archers than their Irish Gaelic descendants. Conan learned to shoot from the "Hyrkanians" (which could easily mean "Turanians"). REH specifically linked the Turanians/Hyrkanians to the Turco-Mongols. Those bad-asses shoot THIS way:

http://www.primitive...thumb_ring.html

It's just little things, this series needs an art director.

Skull belt buckle? Really....lol...does he have a wallet that says "Bad Muthafugger" on it too...

Ain't that the truth. They don't even need a "director", just somebody who believes that REH is the benchmark. Judging from Zack's interview with Roy Thomas shows there is AT LEAST one DHC editor who feels that "Conan" (as in a brand/franchised character) can be "interpreted" any number of ways, irrespective of Howard's demonstrated style and intent.

The "skull" crap is just stupid. Yeah, CFG had a skull-shield, but REH never indicated such emo/goth-laden stuff for Conan.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#18 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

The "skull" crap is just stupid. Yeah, CFG had a skull-shield, but REH never indicated such emo/goth-laden stuff for Conan.

Maybe you guys should re-read Howards original story:

Young in years, he was hardened in warfare and wandering, and his sojourns in many lands were evident in his apparel. His horned helmet was such as was worn by the golden-haired AEsir of Nordheim; his hauberk and greaves were of the finest workmanship of Koth; the fine ring-mail which sheathed his arms and legs was of Nemedia; the blade at his girdle was a great Aquilonian broadsword; his gorgeous scarlet cloak could have been spun nowhere but in Ophir; and his cool belt with the skull buckle he picked up at Hot Topic.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#19 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

lol thanks Amster. i got coffee all over my key board laughing so hard.

#20 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Cover 1:

Bear with me. I just downloaded Explorer8.

The cover's OK. Agree that several elements could be better.

Cover 2:
t really irritates me when artists don't know how to draw things, and one of the big pet peeves I've had over the years is when they don't know how to draw bows and arrows...technical detail I know and I don't mean to sound petty, but nobody shoots like that. Arrow gets knocked over the knuckle of the pointer finger, not thumb. It's dramatic, nice use of color and tone, but we're getting a little whacky with the sword again.

That would be "nocked". ;) Despite nimrod arguments to the contrary, the HA Cimmerians were no more archers than their Irish Gaelic descendants. Conan learned to shoot from the "Hyrkanians" (which could easily mean "Turanians"). REH specifically linked the Turanians/Hyrkanians to the Turco-Mongols. Those bad-asses shoot THIS way:

http://www.primitive...thumb_ring.html

Ain't that the truth. They don't even need a "director", just somebody who believes that REH is the benchmark. Judging from Zack's interview with Roy Thomas shows there is AT LEAST one DHC editor who feels that "Conan" (as in a brand/franchised character) can be "interpreted" any number of ways, irrespective of Howard's demonstrated style and intent.

no brother, it's not the pinch draw that irks me, look at where the artist drew the arrow on the bow hand, as resting on his thumb- the arrow 'rests' on the knuckle of the pointer finger, otherwise the bow would have to be slanted with the wrist unnaturally turned. I've never seen anyone ever shoot like that nor a bow made to be shot like that. I think it's a case of someone getting it wrong, and then other artists using that fellow's piece as reference, and before you know it, you've got something like Aquiromans, but only more upsetting to archery nerds lol.

Amster, that was hilarious. Hot Topic actually explains a lot about this treatment lol. 10% off all Robert Smith posters I guess.