5 replies to this topic

#1 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:54 AM

I was just notified of this release today. It's available through the Intrada website here: http://store.intrada...sc=2&category=5

CONAN THE DESTROYER (COND RAINE - 2CD)
Label: Prometheus XPCD 171
Date: 1984
Tracks: 29
Time = 92:50

2 CD set from Belgium. New recording of the complete score, including the 20 minute suite from SWORD AND SOCEREY: THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN. Nic Raine conducts the City of Prague Philharmonic Orchestra and Chorus.

DISC ONE:
1. DRUM PRELUDE / MAIN TITLE (ORIGINAL VERSION) 3:10 2. NET FIGHT 2:23 3. VALERIA REMEMBERED 1:34 4. SHADIZAR / DREAM QUEST 4:14 5. AKIRO – CAVEMEN FIGHT / ELITE GUARD RIDERS 1:14 6. TOWN SOURCE MUSIC 1:54 7. ZULA – BOMBAATA FIGHT 2:27 8. BIRD – THE PRINCESS / BOATING IN 3:45 9. ICE PALACE 3:37 10. CHAMBER OF MIRRORS 7:15 11. PRINCESS TAKES THE JEWEL / FOREST RIDE 1:28 12. EATING THE ELITE / CRYPT ROCKS 5:21 13. DOOR LIFT/ DRAGON'S HEAD / CONAN THE DESTROYER 7:11 14. CUTLERY INTERRUPTUS / AKIRO'S MAGIC 3:27 15. DAGOTH CEREMONY (ORIGINAL VERSION WITH CHOIR) 4:41 16. IMPALING THE GUARD / DAGOTH'S DEATH 1:26 17. PIT BAND 0:18 18. FAREWELL VALERIA 3:13 19. DRUM POSTLUDE / END CREDITS 2:44

DISC TWO
SWORD AND SORCERY : THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN 1. INTRODUCTION 3:19 2. WINDS OF THE WOODS 3:17 3. MORDOR'S FOUR 4:41 4. THE FIGHT 3:30 5. THE DRAGON / MORDOR'S DEATH 3:32 6. THE ENDING 1:20 CONAN THE DESTROYER 7. MAIN TITLE (FILM VERSION) 3:31 8. AKIRO – CAVEMEN FIGHT (FILM VERSION) 0:55 9. ZULA – BOMBAATA FIGHT (FILM VERSION) 2:27 10. DAGOTH CEREMONY (FILM VERSION) 4:41

#2 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

Mucho cool! Thanks!

#3 JainkhulTamhair

JainkhulTamhair

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:19 AM

I highly doubt Intrada has kept the original names of the pieces (where is Scrolls of Skelos for example? turned into "Dragons' Head" I bet, the sequence where the stone mouth opens with fire ablaze ) .
I've listened to the extra pieces already, the original ones, not the re-recording by Intrada, there is around 6 minutes of new interesting material the rest is old news.

Tracks which were not present in the official OST but only in the latest CTD OST compilation will be now named :

Forest Ride will be the unreleased "through the woods", Crypt Rocks an "Atlantean sword" alternate version (formerly called "Sanctuary of the Horn") , Akiro's magic an alternate version of an excerpt from "battle preparation" in CTB , Shadizar and Dagoth Ceremony will be alternate versions of "mountain of power procession" , Door Lift will be an alternate version of Wheel of Pain, Boating In + Crystal Castle will be the former unreleased "Underwater Passage" + "Hall of Crystals" , and the one I'm not too sure about is Town source music + Zula which may be the former title named "amazonian" .

Akiro and the cavemen is a forgettable track, same goes with Dagoth Ceremony, nothing as memorable as the former Scrolls of Skelos , Chamber of Mirrors or even Hall of Crystals. Why did Intrada offer Akiro and the Dagoth ceremony as bonus tracks on the second CD? Poor choice IMHO.
The choice of cover art is extremely poor as well, I thought they would make an effort for the second Conan OST but alas no, we'll be stuck again with two arms holding a spiky wallhanger from a goth souvenir shop.

What I'm really waiting for is the unreleased master tapes from CTB and CTD to be remastered and re-offered to us, as it has been promised by the powers that be at Intrada in person on their forums.
I personally know someone who played as a solist with the Prague Philharmonic orchestra and let me tell you that many but not all members were not that enthusiastic to play the Poledouris tracks, they're just payed to play and often classical musicans who seldom play film music have a condescending attitude towards...film music composers , considering it as "just a job" and "lesser music" . A fact and it is widespread in some music schools. Hopefully this poor attitude will progressively disappear with time, its only a matter of patience. I think the slo-mo execution (allegedly faithful to Poledouris' sheet music, although Poledouris never mentioned such things in any interview or any seminar) and lack of balls in some (but not all) of the re-recorded tracks with Raine and the Prague philharmonic orchestra says it all.

Hopefully again, even if there are things to be desired in the rerecording of CTB, it will stem OTHER rerecordings by more enthusiastic and perhaps passionate musicians, it's only the beginning today and Poledouris will gain more recognition by the classical music world in the future.

Edited by JainkhulTamhair, 26 December 2011 - 12:19 AM.

#4 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:23 AM

I went ahead and bought both for both films. They should be in my mailbox soon. Thanks for the heads up.

#5 Kaziglu Bey

Kaziglu Bey

Grown Axe Man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:30 AM

You're welcome. I have both the CtB and CtD re-recordings now and, while, Destroyer is definitely a much weaker score, the Prague Philharmonic does manage to give it more of a kick than the original recording/CD release. In my opinion anyway....

#6 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'll admit, I am a soundtrack buyer, but the Conan soundtrack never caught me. I was lukewarm about it. Then, I purchased these two, and I can't get enough of the score. It's really fantastic.