42 replies to this topic

#1 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:47 AM

Hello,one and all I was at my local used book store looking at some old sci-fi and I came across The Book of REH it's in great condition and has Pigeons from Hell and Red Blades of Black Cathy not to mention a few others. B)
Blood and Roses.

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 04:09 AM

Right on, Mike! B) THAT is the collection which started my love for Howard's writing. I'd picked up an issue of Conan the Barbarian #37. The story was an adaptation of REH's The House of Arabu. Roy Thomas gave Howard full credit on the title page (WAY more than the LSdC-authorized TOR™ novels EVER did). I loved that story so much I went out looking for real Robert E. Howard. Since the crooks at Lancer and LSdC had Conan all tied-up in legal wrangles at the time, I pulled The Book of Robert E. Howard (Zebra) off a rack and bought it. It seemed a good place to start, and for me it was the best place to start.

I reread that thing at least once a month. Glenn Lord's little intros were a great way to get some background on the yarns and the man. The sheer variety of the stories was mind-boggling. By the time I was able to find a Gnome Press edition of Conan the Conqueror later that year, I was already a huge fan of Robert E. Howard's Kull, Solomon Kane, Western, Horror, Weird Detective/Weird Menace and Boxing yarns. So, for me, because of that book, it was always about ALL of REH's writings, just not Conan.
Plus, the Jeff Jones art was cool, IMO. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 05:23 AM

Hey, Mike and Deuce! I have that very book! Published by Zebra Press in February, 1976. The pages have yellowed and wrinkled up over the years, but then so have I. I had already read my way through the Lancer Conan's, but it was "The Book of Robert E. Howard" that introduced me to Howard's other characters and yarns. Yes, the Glenn Lord introductions and the Jeff Jones's illustrations are the icing on the cake.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#4 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:10 AM

Hey, Mike and Deuce! I have that very book! Published by Zebra Press in February, 1976. The pages have yellowed and wrinkled up over the years, but then so have I. I had already read my way through the Lancer Conan's, but it was "The Book of Robert E. Howard" that introduced me to Howard's other characters and yarns. Yes, the Glenn Lord introductions and the Jeff Jones's illustrations are the icing on the cake.

Hello,crossplain pilgrim and Deuce! :) yeah,Jeff Jone's illustrations are a great treat I am reading Pigeons From Hell right now and I'm looking forward to the others I will be on the look out for The Book of Robert E. Howard 2 as of yet I have had no luck in my continuing quest for a copy of Sword Woman... :(
Blood and Roses.

#5 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

the book of REH 2 is a fantastic collection....I really love that one
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#6 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

Hello,crossplain pilgrim and Deuce! :) yeah,Jeff Jone's illustrations are a great treat I am reading Pigeons From Hell right now and I'm looking forward to the others I will be on the look out for The Book of Robert E. Howard 2 as of yet I have had no luck in my continuing quest for a copy of Sword Woman... :(

Mike :o Try www.abebooks.com Type in Robert E. Howard in author and The Sword Woman in title. There are currently 36 Sword Woman's for sale ranging from a couple of dollars plus shipping all the way to $25. Like you, I wanted to find this and other REH books and the way I did it was here at Abebooks.com. I spent $15 plus shipping and chose a bookstore nearest my home town. I emailed 2 or 3 stores and asked them to send me a scan picture of front and back cover. This is really important because the book should look like that upon delivery. I mailed a check to that store and the book arrived soon thereafter. You're in for a real treat as The Sword Woman is some very fine story telling by the master himself - REH! It's one of my favorites. You'll be able to get most hard to get REH books this way. Check out howardworks.com and click on REH's picture. Here is the definitive REH collection. It has just about everything REH wrote and with pictures. As I was filling my REH want list like you are with Sword Woman I had Abebooks.com on one screen and Howard works on the other. It was quick and easy. Take your time looking and having fun - especially reading REH the best of the best writer and poet ever! I sure did and still am. The Book of REH 2 is still available at local new and used book stores. If you check out your profile you'll see I just gave you a 5 star rating!!!!!

http://pictures.abeb...d1104027921.jpg

http://pictures.abeb...md165112546.jpg

Howard, Robert E.
Bookseller: Paperback Swap N' Shop
(Dickinson, TX, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: US$ 7.60
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Ace Fantasy Edition, E Rutherford, New Jersey, U.S.A., 1986. Mass Market Paperback. Book Condition: Good+. 1st Edition 1st Printing PB Ace. Ex-Library with the usual markings. Book is in Good+ or better condition. Spine has crease wear from reading, and slight slanting from same. Spine and hinge wear have been reinforced/repaired with proper book tape. Book has only slightest of edge wear. Otherwise, book is tight, glossy and text is unmarked. USPS Delivery Confirmation included. Ex-Library. Bookseller Inventory # 002947

Edited by Richard, 08 February 2009 - 02:50 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#7 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Hey,Y'all I have two more new finds! one is from an old publishing line called Centaur Books they published Solomon Kane and some other authors work under the banner: time loss series and I found me a little Ace paperback with all of the known Bran Mak Morn stories at the time it was a second edition from 87. B)
Blood and Roses.

#8 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

Mike :o Try www.abebooks.com Type in Robert E. Howard in author and The Sword Woman in title. There are currently 36 Sword Woman's for sale ranging from a couple of dollars plus shipping all the way to $25. Like you, I wanted to find this and other REH books and the way I did it was here at Abebooks.com. I spent $15 plus shipping and chose a bookstore nearest my home town. I emailed 2 or 3 stores and asked them to send me a scan picture of front and back cover. This is really important because the book should look like that upon delivery. I mailed a check to that store and the book arrived soon thereafter. You're in for a real treat as The Sword Woman is some very fine story telling by the master himself - REH! It's one of my favorites. You'll be able to get most hard to get REH books this way. Check out howardworks.com and click on REH's picture. Here is the definitive REH collection. It has just about everything REH wrote and with pictures. As I was filling my REH want list like you are with Sword Woman I had Abebooks.com on one screen and Howard works on the other. It was quick and easy. Take your time looking and having fun - especially reading REH the best of the best writer and poet ever! I sure did and still am. The Book of REH 2 is still available at local new and used book stores. If you check out your profile you'll see I just gave you a 5 star rating!!!!!

http://pictures.abeb...d1104027921.jpg

http://pictures.abeb...md165112546.jpg

Howard, Robert E.
Bookseller: Paperback Swap N' Shop
(Dickinson, TX, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating:
Price: US$ 7.60
[Convert Currency]
Quantity: 1 Shipping within U.S.A.:
US$ 4.00
[Rates & Speeds]

Book Description: Ace Fantasy Edition, E Rutherford, New Jersey, U.S.A., 1986. Mass Market Paperback. Book Condition: Good+. 1st Edition 1st Printing PB Ace. Ex-Library with the usual markings. Book is in Good+ or better condition. Spine has crease wear from reading, and slight slanting from same. Spine and hinge wear have been reinforced/repaired with proper book tape. Book has only slightest of edge wear. Otherwise, book is tight, glossy and text is unmarked. USPS Delivery Confirmation included. Ex-Library. Bookseller Inventory # 002947

Thanx,Richard I will check abebooks I should have done that first! :lol:
Blood and Roses.

#9 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:29 AM

Hey,Y'all I have two more new finds! one is from an old publishing line called Centaur Books they published Solomon Kane and some other authors work under the banner: time loss series and I found me a little Ace paperback with all of the known Bran Mak Morn stories at the time it was a second edition from 87. B)

Hey Mike! Yeah, the Ace first edition of Worms of the Earth is the one I started on. I bought it in Denver during the Thanksgiving holiday WAY back. A sweet (but inaccurate) Sanjulian cover. Both editions are just reprints of the Zebra edition from the '70s (but the Zebra had a Jeff Jones cover).

Back on-topic :), what yarns/poems were your favorites from "TBoREH"?

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#10 miketerminus

miketerminus

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:29 AM

Hey Mike! Yeah, the Ace first edition of Worms of the Earth is the one I started on. I bought it in Denver during the Thanksgiving holiday WAY back. A sweet (but inaccurate) Sanjulian cover. Both editions are just reprints of the Zebra edition from the '70s (but the Zebra had a Jeff Jones cover).

Back on-topic :), what yarns/poems were your favorites from "TBoREH"?

I loved Recompense,The Pit of the Serpent I have not gotten to far into the book due to work and other things,duce. :( but,I am looking forward to red blades of black cathay!
Blood and Roses.

#11 crossplain pilgrim

crossplain pilgrim

Hyborian Legend

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:19 AM

Great collection! Even has an introduction and story notes by Glen Lord. I have my old 1976 Zebra edition. Well, the thing starts out with "Pigeons From Hell." What else can be said about that masterpiece? "Red Blades of Black Cathay" is a terrific historical yarn with the formidable Norman knight Godric de Villehard thrust into intrigue and battlefield slaughter of the Far East. Howard wrote excellent history-based yarns. Wish he could have found a market for more. "The Voice of El-lil" is an excellent adventure tale that reminds you of H. Rider Haggard. "The Pit and the Serpent," despite its lurid title, is a great, rollicking Steve Costigan boxing yarn. Speaking of which, I just finished the Wildside "Waterfront Fists" and it was pure pleasure from beginning to end. I plan to post more on that later.
A wild moon rode in the wild white clouds,
the waves their white crests showed
When Solomon Kane went forth again,
and no man knew his road.

"Solomon Kane's Homecoming"

#12 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:11 AM

I.m.h.op. those Zebras were for a looong time the best collection of REH books , all with J.Jones covers & varied illustrators inside half of them , no idea why they had artists for some books & not others . I don't recall the specifics just now , but i believe the first & 2nd 'Book of REH's as well as a couple other of those Zebras were the first time a few of the stories had ever been printed ( except for small-press fanzines ) & the first time since the original pulps that more than a few had been printed in decades . I'm sure one of you REH scholars can set that straight (?) that's stuff i never paid much attention to really . Reading this topic made me pull all the Zebras off the shelf to look at all the covers & illustrations again . ( not that I really ever need some reason or excuse to stare endlessly in awe at art in my favorite genres ) . Only have a handful of the Zebras on the shelf next to me at the moment without going downstairs to dig out the rest of them , but here's my quick critique of just the art in these few ( for what it's worth ? Posted Image )........

First Book of REH. - I agree with just about everything y'all have already said above . The Second book of REH , one of the greatest collections of REH's varied styles , second only to that first Book of REH of course . For a long time this has been my favorite book of non-Conan REH stories (even more so than the first one) . A shame this one went un-illustrated .

Worms of the Earth illustrated by Dave Ireland , kind of like a more formal (decorative) Esteban Maroto-ish style ( just to give a 'similar to' reference for anyone who's not familiar with D.I. )

The Iron Man , great atmosphere of 1930's boxer life , gritty tone , makes me want to start talking like a punch-drunk cauliflower-eared gin-blossom-nosed "whaddahyoo lookin' at ? " hard-case kind of tough-guy :wacko: Only has 3 illustrations & no mention at all of who did them but you can tell easily by his style that it was David Ireland again .

The Lost Valley of Iskander - great illos by Mike Kaluta , some of his best b.&w. sketches ever i.m.op. and there's a lot of them . Kalutas sometimes sketchy looser looking drawings always have a great 'spontaneous' look to them like he's actually drawing the Barb's's & the Babes's from life right then & there in the middle of action .

Gent From Bear Creek - A few Illos by Tim Kirk , a little cartoony in style but that kind of fits the tone of the Breck. Elkins stories .

Vultures of Whapeton , one of my favorite paintings by Jones on the cover , death on his black steed riding through the sands in a dust-cloud with a half dozen of his favorite buzzards following . No illustrations inside tho .

Sowers of the Thunder is jam-packed with great drawings by the great Roy Krenkel . The loose , dynamic style of Kaluta as great as it is - can't even compare to this masters drawing . His art looks even more spontaneous & action packed .

These old Zebra paperbacks are well worth hunting down the whole collection in the used book-stores , on ebay or whatever . I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this was one of the nicest series/collections of REH tales ever . Undoubtedly 'THE' nicest collection in paperback format without shelling out the big-bucks for some of the premium hardcover series like the Donald Grant ones , or some of the newer Bisons etc. . I can't remember offhand how many there were in the Zebra series total , but I know for sure it was at least 11 ? I'll undoubtedly find myself tearing through boxes tomorrow afternoon to dig out the rest of them . It's been a while since I checked out all the illos & covers . Probably take out the binder I have with all the Jeff Jones paintings on collectors cards also . Sadly I don't have any good books collecting Jones paintings . That's weird now that I give it a moment , as much of a fantasy art-geek/book-collector nerd I've always been & Jones has always been one of my favorites too .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#13 Guest_Tu for Kull_*

Guest_Tu for Kull_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hi all,
In "The Second Book of Robert Howard",(1976) Zebra lists the following paperbacks:

The Sowers of the Thunder
Tigers of the Sea
Worms of the Earth
A Gent from Bear Creek
The Vultures of Whapeton
Cormac Mac Art:Sword of the Gaul
The Incredible Adventures of Dennis Dorgan
The Lost Valley of Iskander

Tu

#14 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:27 AM

[quote name='PainBrush' post='114578' date='Feb 28 2009, 06:11 AM'][quote name='deuce']Hey Mike! Yeah, the Ace first edition of Worms of the Earth is the one I started on. I bought it in Denver during the Thanksgiving holiday WAY back. A sweet (but inaccurate) Sanjulian cover. Both editions are just reprints of the Zebra edition from the '70s (but the Zebra had a Jeff Jones cover).[/quote] I.m.h.op. those Zebras were for a looong time the best collection of REH books , all with J.Jones covers & varied illustrators inside half of them , no idea why they had artists for some books & not others .[/quote]

Hey PB! I'd been meaning to start a thread on the Zebras. Your post was such a good intro to the topic that I decided to just split it (and Tu's) off into into this new one (hope you don't mind). :D As I've said umpteen times, The Book of Robert E. Howard from Zebra was my first taste of actual Bob Howard prose. To me, that book should be considered just as much a "literary landmark" as Skull-Face and Others or Always Comes Evening. I also think that, pound for pound, the "Zebra REH Library" series (as I like to call it), has yet to be beat in some ways. I think a big reason for why some had art and not others is that several had art from small press books published by DMG and FAX from just a few years before.

[quote]I don't recall the specifics just now , but i believe the first & 2nd 'Book of REH's as well as a couple other of those Zebras were the first time a few of the stories had ever been printed ( except for small-press fanzines ) & the first time since the original pulps that more than a few had been printed in decades . I'm sure one of you REH scholars can set that straight (?) that's stuff i never paid much attention to really.[/quote]

As always, Paul Herman/Bill Thom's "Howard Works" site (http://www.howardworks.com/howard.htm ) is indispensable. I'll just say here that several pieces had never been reprinted since the '30s, several had only been reprinted in small press publications (ie, VERY hard to find) and a few had never been printed (in an unedited form) before. The two "Books of REH" were also the first place (since the Depression) that yer average Joe (or some nine-year old in KS) could read poem after poem of Howard's verse.

[quote]Reading this topic made me pull all the Zebras off the shelf to look at all the covers & illustrations again . ( not that I really ever need some reason or excuse to stare endlessly in awe at art in my favorite genres ) . Only have a handful of the Zebras on the shelf next to me at the moment without going downstairs to dig out the rest of them , but here's my quick critique of just the art in these few ( for what it's worth ? Posted Image )........

First Book of REH. - I agree with just about everything y'all have already said above . The Second book of REH , one of the greatest collections of REH's varied styles , second only to that first Book of REH of course . For a long time this has been my favorite book of non-Conan REH stories (even more so than the first one) . A shame this one went un-illustrated .[/quote]

My Zebra edition of The Second Book of Robert E. Howard has illustrations by Jones. :unsure: One of Kelly the Conjure-Man, one of Eithriall the Gaul and several illustrating poems. Did the Berkley edition omit those, maybe?

[quote]Worms of the Earth illustrated by Dave Ireland , kind of like a more formal (decorative) Esteban Maroto-ish style ( just to give a 'similar to' reference for anyone who's not familiar with D.I. )

The Iron Man , great atmosphere of 1930's boxer life , gritty tone , makes me want to start talking like a punch-drunk cauliflower-eared gin-blossom-nosed "whaddahyoo lookin' at ? " hard-case kind of tough-guy :wacko: Only has 3 illustrations & no mention at all of who did them but you can tell easily by his style that it was David Ireland again.[/quote]

I hadn't thought of a similarity to Maroto in Ireland's work, but I can see it now that you mention it. To me, Ireland's work always had a certain resemblance to David Wenzel, who illustrated that Solomon Kane book from Centaur Press and also drew "Wings in the Night" for SSoC.

I thought the Jones covers for both "WotE" and The Iron Man were great.

[quote]The Lost Valley of Iskander - great illos by Mike Kaluta , some of his best b.&w. sketches ever i.m.op. and there's a lot of them . Kalutas sometimes sketchy looser looking drawings always have a great 'spontaneous' look to them like he's actually drawing the Barb's's & the Babes's from life right then & there in the middle of action.[/quote]

All of that artwork originally came from the FAX edition. I'm a BIG Michael W. Kaluta fan. One thing I've always loved is all the work and creativity he put into borders, chapter headings, stuff like that.

[quote]Gent From Bear Creek - A few Illos by Tim Kirk , a little cartoony in style but that kind of fits the tone of the Breck. Elkins stories .

Vultures of Whapeton , one of my favorite paintings by Jones on the cover , death on his black steed riding through the sands in a dust-cloud with a half dozen of his favorite buzzards following . No illustrations inside tho .[/quote]

Tim Kirk did the Tigers of the Sea illos as well. His illustrative style isn't one of my favorites, but the maps he's created of the Thurian Age, Hyperborea, Averoigne and Zothique are just about the best fantastic cartographic art out there.

Yeah, Jones' cover for "Vultures" is top-notch.

[quote]Sowers of the Thunder is jam-packed with great drawings by the great Roy Krenkel . The loose , dynamic style of Kaluta as great as it is - can't even compare to this masters drawing . His art looks even more spontaneous & action packed .

These old Zebra paperbacks are well worth hunting down the whole collection in the used book-stores , on ebay or whatever . I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this was one of the nicest series/collections of REH tales ever . Undoubtedly 'THE' nicest collection in paperback format without shelling out the big-bucks for some of the premium hardcover series like the Donald Grant ones , or some of the newer Bisons etc. . I can't remember offhand how many there were in the Zebra series total , but I know for sure it was at least 11 ? I'll undoubtedly find myself tearing through boxes tomorrow afternoon to dig out the rest of them . It's been a while since I checked out all the illos & covers . Probably take out the binder I have with all the Jeff Jones paintings on collectors cards also . Sadly I don't have any good books collecting Jones paintings . That's weird now that I give it a moment , as much of a fantasy art-geek/book-collector nerd I've always been & Jones has always been one of my favorites too .[/quote]

I absolutely agree. Considering the breadth of coverage (both prose and poetry), the Glenn Lord editing (and intros) and all of the great art, the Zebras set a VERY high standard; all at an affordable price. I'll get to the total number of volumes in the whole series in my reply to Tu's post.

The Art of Jeffrey Jones is out there.

#15 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hi all,
In "The Second Book of Robert Howard",(1976) Zebra lists the following paperbacks:

The Sowers of the Thunder
Tigers of the Sea
Worms of the Earth
A Gent from Bear Creek
The Vultures of Whapeton
Cormac Mac Art:Sword of the Gaul

Tu

Here's the complete list, AFAIK, of the Robert E. Howard volumes (but not pastiches) in the Zebra series:

The Book of Robert E. Howard
The Second Book of Robert E. Howard
Sowers of the Thunder
Sword Woman
Tigers of the Sea
Worms of the Earth
A Gent From Bear Creek
The Vultures of Whapeton
The Iron Man
Pigeons From Hell

PB's guess was right on, basically. A cool dozen volumes of primo REH. All have Jones covers except for Sword Woman (Stephen Fabian). I own 'em all. :D

BTW, that would be Cormac Mac Art: Sword of the Gael. ;)

#16 PainBrush

PainBrush

In Memoriam: 2005-2009. Bastard son of a thousand nations!

• Members
  • 4,711 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:00 PM

Hey PB! I'd been meaning to start a thread on the Zebras. Your post was such a good intro to the topic that I decided to just split it (and Tu's) off into into this new one (hope you don't mind)

Not at all , until I just re-read that post of mine above , it didn't occur to me earlier what a long post it was & I didn't mean to start de-railing that topic so much from just the 'Book of R.E.H." . But after pulling that one down off the shelf it made me want to start thumbing through all of the other Zebra editions also & got lost in my own little world & got carried away checking out all the great art . It never fails to get me all nostalgicky & takes me right back to when I was still a whelp & first started reading all of those tales for the first time . Luckily I haven't actually read through those old Zebra editions in some time , or I'd have prob. started yapping all about the stories too . :lol:

My Zebra edition of The Second Book of Robert E. Howard has illustrations by Jones. :unsure: One of Kelly the Conjure-Man, one of Eithriall the Gaul and several illustrating poems. Did the Berkley edition omit those, maybe?

Oh yeah , after you mentioned that I just looked again & it says right there plain as day at the bottom o/t back cover "Cover/Text Illos by J.J. " & I flipped through the pages slower , & whaddaya know there is a handful of Jones illos that i didn't catch earlier . The ones you mentioned , the grasping hands , the skull & rose , Solomon Kane etc. Don't know if the Berkely edition ( of the 2nd Book Of Reh) had inside illos but the first "Book Of REH' by Berkely doesn't have any illos inside . Not one of Ken Kelly's better covers on the Berkely edition either .

I hadn't thought of a similarity to Maroto in Ireland's work, but I can see it now that you mention it. To me, Ireland's work always had a certain resemblance to David Wenzel, who illustrated that Solomon Kane book from Centaur Press and also drew "Wings in the Night" for SSoC.

Yeah I kind of remember the Wenzel drawn story from SSoc , it's been some years since I sold off my SSOC collection ( I'm still kicking myself in the pants for that ) so I can't take a quick look for a comparison . & Of the Centaur/Time Lost p.back series all I have is Solomon Kane , the Hand of Kane and Swordsmen & Supermen , none of those has any illos. except the Stephen Fabian & Jones covers . Some of the Grant REH books had illustrations by Ireland also . The only one I have at hand at the moment is the 'People of the Black Circle' . I actually like Irelands color art better than his black & white stuff .

I thought the Jones covers for both "WotE" and The Iron Man were great.

Jones' cover for "Vultures" is top-notch.

Jones' paintings are kind of like Frazettas in that respect , I don't mean 'style-wise' , but just that his style is so unique & always consistently well drawn ( even if they're painted kind of muted & bland color-wise half the time ) - but he's so good at his own style it's hard to point out any 'bad' paintings from him . I did notice some months back that Jeff Jones art book advertised on one website or another ( prob. Bud Plant ) & made a mental note to get a copy of it soon . So much for that , my mental note was written on my mental 'etch-a-sketch' I guess , & it got shaken up & erased apparently :lol: Now that you mentioned that one - i just put it on my books-to-get-next list ( on 'real' paper , not 'mental' paper hah )

There's another artist who illustrated some Howard stories whose style is very similar to Jones . In a used book store a few years back the oversized ( same size as Grants hardcovers ) paperback caught my eye . It's "The Devil In Iron" and "Shadows in Zamboula" . I grabbed it after just a quick glance because I thought it actually was a bunch of previously unseen ( to me) Conan paintings by J. Jones inside , didn't realise till later it was an artist named Dan Green & his stuff is great . That one was published by 'Today Press/Grosset & Dunlap' in '78 , I guess it was just an economy version of the Grant hardback of the same name ( which I've never had ) I read that there were probably only a couple of Grants books reprinted that way , but i have no idea , i've never seen another .

" You have a good point there,...put your helmet on & no-one will notice it ."
" Look for a long time at what pleases you... and longer still at what pains you "
So THIS is civilization ??!??!......

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
~ FUTUE EOS SI NON CONCIPERE IOCULARUM ~

#17 Sermon Bath

Sermon Bath

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

I got all those except for the first Book of REH and Gent from Bear Creek....yep, they definitely rock
I don't worry...I have to much on my mind

#18 godzilladude

godzilladude

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

I'd note, a lot of that artwork came from the Grant editions (Tim Kirk, Roy Krenkel, some others), as did the text. A decent portion of the Zebra series was creating paperbacks out of the FAX and Grant hardbacks that were not yet offered in paperback at that time.

To wit:

Black Vulmea's Vengeance (Grant, Robert James Pailthorpe, though I don't know that the illos made it to the Zebra book)
The Book of REH (original, Jeff Jones)
A Gent from Bear Creek (Grant, Tim Kirk)
The Incredible Adventures of Dennis Dorgan (FAX, Tom Foster, who also did the cover for The Last of the Trunk, more than 30 years later!)
The Iron Man (Grant, Jeff Jones cover, David Ireland illos in the Grant original)
The Lost Valley of Iskander (FAX, Michael Kaluta)
Pigeons from Hell (Original, Jeff Jones)
Second Book of REH (Original, Jeff Jones)
Sowers of the Thunder (Grant, Roy Krenkel)
Sword Woman (Original, Stephen Fabian)
Three-Bladed Doom (Original, "Enrich" aka Enriquez Torres)
Tigers of the Sea (Grant, Tim Kirk)
Vultures of Whapeton (Original, Jeff Jones)
Worms of the Earth (Grant, David Ireland)

#19 deuce

deuce

• Moderators
  • 13,067 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:41 PM

I'd note, a lot of that artwork came from the Grant editions (Tim Kirk, Roy Krenkel, some others), as did the text. A decent portion of the Zebra series was creating paperbacks out of the FAX and Grant hardbacks that were not yet offered in paperback at that time.

To wit:

Black Vulmea's Vengeance (Grant, Robert James Pailthorpe, though I don't know that the illos made it to the Zebra book)
The Book of REH (original, Jeff Jones)
A Gent from Bear Creek (Grant, Tim Kirk)
The Incredible Adventures of Dennis Dorgan (FAX, Tom Foster, who also did the cover for The Last of the Trunk, more than 30 years later!)
The Iron Man (Grant, Jeff Jones cover, David Ireland illos in the Grant original)
The Lost Valley of Iskander (FAX, Michael Kaluta)
Pigeons from Hell (Original, Jeff Jones)
Second Book of REH (Original, Jeff Jones)
Sowers of the Thunder (Grant, Roy Krenkel)
Sword Woman (Original, Stephen Fabian)
Three-Bladed Doom (Original, "Enrich" aka Enriquez Torres)
Tigers of the Sea (Grant, Tim Kirk)
Vultures of Whapeton (Original, Jeff Jones)
Worms of the Earth (Grant, David Ireland)

Thanks, Paul! B) I wouldn't expect any less thoroughness from the author of The Neverending Hunt. BTW, the cover of "Vengeance" (can't believe I forgot that, since I own it) was done by Tom Barber, who also did numerous other covers for Zebra, notably those for the "Tros" series. I also can't believe that I forgot Three-Bladed Doom (Zebra edition), but that's the only one I don't own (plus, the cover ain't that great). FOURTEEN books chock-full of REH goodness! I did note the DMG and FAX provenance of several of those volumes in an earlier post, BTW. ;)

#20 MwKaluta

MwKaluta

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:38 PM

Needless to say, I came to this thread/topic as my very first stop on the REH forum. I've not looked at the posting dates (got caught up in the discussion) but I wanted to note: the Zebra version of Lost Valley of Iskander's illustrations were all "enhanced" versions of the ones that appeared in the FAX hardback edition: every one had more drawing added, sometimes quite a bit.

The FAX printing deadline caught me off guard so the work in the hardback, though fun, wasn't quite "Howard" enough for me.

When I found out Zebra was publishing the paperback (without compensation to the artist, btw) I sort of visited their offices a few blocks South of my studio and let them know the art was mine and they needed to clear permission for use through me. They immediately got onboard with that, and I told them they could have "better" art, in that I'd been finishing all the work that wasn't done for the FAX edition.

SO: if you have that Zebra paperback and not the FAX hardback, you have more and better art, with the loss of 3 fairly "thin" color plates, two fairly forgettable end papers and my less than powerful FAX dust jacket painting. You also have one b/w full-page illustration that FAX didn't include in their book: "Dogs! Jackals! Noseless Abominations!" It is tapped in as the last page of the paperback.

(I see this thread is very much alive and recent! great!)