greatly missed

#2 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

Definitelly was one of the best out there. Such a magnificent power, greesy depth and tenacity behind those drawings. A true imaginator that draws you into his world. Buscema teamed up with unfortunately also the late Alfredo Alcala, created some of the most unforgetable comics many of us grew up with. R.I.P.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#3 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:40 PM

Wow, 10 years already...damn. He's still my favorite comic book artist ever. A true master, and I wish he was still around to crank out some more Conan art. Imagine the recent Conan: Road of Kings that Roy Thomas wrote with Buscema as the artist...
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#4 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

Wow is right, where did that decade go? I just got done reading the recent FF masterwork (#129-141). Some of the stories weren't that great, but his art was always worth the look. I"ll never forget the image that was all over the internet that night: the final page of Avengers #58 with the Vision crying. Too perfect.

#5 UrbanBarbarian

UrbanBarbarian

The Blacksmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

The best Conan comic book artist, IMO. Man, he was something...

#6 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,056 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:54 AM

Whenever you're talking about someone in ANY field of art (graphics, literature, music, whatever), it's always hard (for me) to say so-and-so is "best". Art is such a subjective, emotional thing. I can only say that Big John, through his Conan work and, especially, his How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way, was THE biggest influence on my personal graphic arts developement and style. When people in the past complimented me on my work, I sometimes said (especially if it was an action shot), "You oughtta thank John Buscema for that."

R.I.P., Mr. Buscema.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#7 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Buscema rocked. The best.

#8 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:43 AM

He was my all time favorite.
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#9 black dragon

black dragon

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:14 AM

Wow is right, where did that decade go? I just got done reading the recent FF masterwork (#129-141). Some of the stories weren't that great, but his art was always worth the look. I"ll never forget the image that was all over the internet that night: the final page of Avengers #58 with the Vision crying. Too perfect.

"Even an android can cry!" It seems like yesterday. You're right, that was the perfect image for such sad news.

#10 muskrat

muskrat

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:56 AM

They don't make em like Buscema any more. The Buscema/Chan Conan is the definitive comic Conan fer me. People wanna talk Barry Smith...bah. Gimme Big John anyday.

#11 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:36 PM

i gotta somewhat echo what Deuce said , his style was the major influence on me growing up and learning to draw, he and his great art style is very much missed.

#12 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:10 PM

Now that I have the 2012 Conan calendar, I'm constantly reminded of how dynamic and exciting his art could be. He had Frazetta's gift for capturing a moment of action, still and yet in motion.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#13 Guest_Bront_*

Guest_Bront_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

I was actually introduced to Buscema's work via my first Conan mag. It also featured the work of another great artist, Alfredo Alcala.

Big John Buscema literally painted with pencils and inks, and put you into the worlds he illustrated.

A master at his craft.

#14 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:41 AM

It is hard to pick your fav artist at times, but Buscema was up there for me. Learning to draw the Marvel way though was one of the reasons I feel many people became generic clones of JB at times loosing there own style. I have had a few friends go down that route and sometimes find it hard to distinguish between them now, the inking is the only thing that can give them away. He was the best Conan artist and really depicted him well, but sometimes too big! My fav pose of his was:

This one

Broody, sullen and ready to take the head of the first guy or beast to step on his toes!

Edited by Dave the Rage, 25 January 2012 - 12:42 AM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century