12 replies to this topic

#1 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:40 AM

We've had more then a few Conan Novels written by different writers. There had been at least two Bran Mak Morn novels, Andrew Offutt wrote an excellent Series of Cormac Art novels. We've even had novels taking place in The Hyborian age. And there has been a Solomon Kane novel . Yet there are no King Kull novels. Why ?

And Who would you like to see write a King Kull novel ?

Edited by Rockamobile, 13 January 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#2 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:48 AM

I don't know why, but I don't recall a Solomon Kane pastiche, either. There was a Black Vulmea novel by Tierney & Smith, though, if memory serves.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#3 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:08 AM

Good question. As long as they avoid the nonsense which is sinking DH's Kull, they might be interesting, though not canonical.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#4 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

I don't know why, but I don't recall a Solomon Kane pastiche, either. There was a Black Vulmea novel by Tierney & Smith, though, if memory serves.

My mistake, other then to the Ramsey Campbell novelization there is no other Solomon Kane novel. I wasn't thinking when I typed that bit. :unsure:

Edited by Rockamobile, 13 January 2012 - 04:11 AM.

#5 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:29 AM

Of course, one of the issues they would have to face is fleshing out the vaguer parts of the Pre-Cataclysmic Age. If Writer A does something involving Thule (mentioned though never seen), does that become the standard depiction if Writer B uses it too? There would have to be a bible of Thurian lore for them to draw from. Yes, I know, the original stories and the Hyborian Age essay are the sources, but something for quick reference while writing.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#6 Gary

Gary

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:48 PM

There was a novelization of the Kull movie by Sean Moore. Moore, I believe, died in a automobile crash. Maybe he would have written more.

#7 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,031 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

There was a novelization of the Kull movie by Sean Moore. Moore, I believe, died in a automobile crash. Maybe he would have written more.

Gary Romeo! Who would've thought you'd show up for a "Howardian pastiche" question? :rolleyes:

In response to Rockamobile, Offutt expressed interest in doing a Kull pastiche novel. Karl Edward Wagner also seems to have considered doing so.

Personally, I think AJO would've been better suited to Kull than Cormac Mac Art. However, I doubt Andy's "Thurian Age" would bear much resemblance to Howard's Thurian Age (judging from Offutt's CMA novels).

Wagner would've been better all-around. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#8 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Gary Romeo! Who would've thought you'd show up for a "Howardian pastiche" question? :rolleyes:

In response to Rockamobile, Offutt expressed interest in doing a Kull pastiche novel. Karl Edward Wagner also seems to have considered doing so.

Personally, I think AJO would've been better suited to Kull than Cormac Mac Art. However, I doubt Andy's "Thurian Age" would bear much resemblance to Howard's Thurian Age (judging from Offutt's CMA novels).

Wagner would've been better all-around. B)

A Kull novel by Karl Edward Wagner. That would have wonderful indeed. I wish he were still alive and writing ,he was great. :(

I would love to anyone write a Kull novel. I like the character alot .

#9 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 10:51 PM

I can see a series of Kull novels.
Given how little is written of Kull's life before becoming king, there is more then enough material to write at least three books.
One could deal with his being captured by the lemurians and finally becoming a pirate against them.I'd have to read through the stories again to reaquaint myself with his history, but I believe he was a mercenary for Valusia and then became a commander in her army.
And finally his overthrowing the king and taking the crown for himself.
If possible I'd like all the novels to written by the same author. One who is a fan of the original stories and can add to the background. Not alter what has already been established.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#10 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:24 AM

I can see a series of Kull novels.
Given how little is written of Kull's life before becoming king, there is more then enough material to write at least three books.
One could deal with his being captured by the lemurians and finally becoming a pirate against them.I'd have to read through the stories again to reaquaint myself with his history, but I believe he was a mercenary for Valusia and then became a commander in her army.
And finally his overthrowing the king and taking the crown for himself.
If possible I'd like all the novels to written by the same author. One who is a fan of the original stories and can add to the background. Not alter what has already been established.

They could do more then three books. Its wide open.

#11 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

True. but I would rather see three collections of short stories then a series of long novels.
Like all of Howard's characters, I think the short story works better then a novel filled with a lot of padding to make a 500 page count.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#12 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:46 AM

I remember having a couple Kull pastiche's back in the day, i dont remember the authors they were by...but there werent many of them!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#13 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,031 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

True. but I would rather see three collections of short stories then a series of long novels.
Like all of Howard's characters, I think the short story works better then a novel filled with a lot of padding to make a 500 page count.

Can't agree enough, Kane. While the "River Stagus Fragment" seems to have been destined for novella length, if not a full-blown novel (by HotD standards), REH pasticheurs can rarely be trusted to pull off such projects, IMO. So, no Kull novel. It would be a nine-day wonder just to see a volume of good Kull pastiches.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.