38 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:06 AM

This year's REH Foundation Awards will be chosen from nominees that all fans can help choose. Details here:

http://www.rehfounda...rd-nominations/

Rob

#2 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

Warlord of the Southwestern Shield Wall

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Bumping this so you folks can hear this. First off, this is huge. EVERYONE here now has a voice in these awards. All of you will be setting the ballot for the inner circle to vote upon. Consider that for a second--there are always people out there who do great work and never get any credit or recognition for it. You can help redress that by putting your favorite overlooked person place or thing on the ballot.

Do you feel that these forums should be considered as the best REH related Website? Then nominate 'em!

Do you have a favorite comic book artist who's been working for years on these books and never gotten thanked? Then nominate 'em!

All of the regulars, the experts, the bloggers, and even the lurkers here can really shake things up now. Start a campaign! You've got the time. How sweet would it be to see some geniune kudos levied at your favorite Howard Heads? Take a minute and go check out some of the past winners to see examples of who has won, and for what. Then send in your favorites (you don't need to nominate three people in each category. But you can, if you want to, nominate UP TO three. It'll just take a few seconds. Then come back over here and post anyone you want to campaign for. This needs to be an active thread until the end of February. Let's make it happen!
Mark Finn
Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard
Second Edition now available from the Robert E. Howard Foundation Press

Finn's Home Away From Home, REDUX!

#3 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

I'd like to vote. I wasn't sure if it was ok. It reads All emails must be “signed” with first and last names. How is this done?

Edited by Richard, 28 January 2012 - 01:24 AM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#4 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

All that means is at the end of your email, just include your first and last name. No "Internet handles" of any kind. They just want to make sure that a real person is voting.
Mark Finn

#5 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm still working on my list, but I'll throw out a few preliminary ideas to get the discussion going.

Valusian (Best anthology)
Anniversary: Glenn Lord and the Howard Collector (ed. Dennis McHaney)
Lone Scout of Letters (ed. Rob Roehm)

Hyrkanian (Best essay)
"Southwestern Discomfit" by Mark Finn
"Robert E. Howard and the Issue of Racism" by Barbara Barrett

Aquilonian (Periodical)
The Howard Collector (This should count I think; a new issue was published last year and there was an intention of of doing further issues)
REH: Two-Gun Raconteur
The Dark Man

The Stygian (Website)
Tough to beat TGR here

Cimmerian (Blog posts)
Al Harron (Blog that Time Forgot and Conan Movie Blog)
Brian Leno (TGR; I'm a sucker for old-school boxing)
Keith Taylor (TGR; and I'm a sucker for history too)

The Black Circle (Lifetime Achievement)
This one works a little differently, as you have to first meet the requirements to be on the list of potential nominees, then be nominated to be on the ballot for the following year, then be confirmed with a 60% vote to approve. Last year Dennis McHaney and Damon Sasser were nominated and will be on the ballot this year. The existing list for potential nominees as far as I know (and Rob please correct me if I'm wrong) is:

BLOSSER, FRED
CERASINI, MARC
De CAMP, LYON SPRAGUE (posthumous)
HOFFMAN, CHARLES
LOVING, BILLIE RUTH (posthumous)
THOMAS, ROY
WAGNER, KARL EDWARD (posthumous)

I would like to point out that PATRICE LOUINET, published his first article on REH in 1990 and now has twenty years in. I suggest that Patrice be added to the list of potential nominees.

CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE BLACK CIRCLE
Glenn Lord (2004)
Rusty Burke (2006)
Don Herron (2006)
Novalyne Price Ellis (2007)

Edited by theagenes, 28 January 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#6 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

I'm still working on my list, but I'll throw out a few preliminary ideas to get the discussion going.
[. . .]
Hyrkanian (Best essay)

Hi Jeff, Barbara's essay can only be nominated once, and since it wasn't completed until this year, it won't be eligible for an award until next year.

Rob

#7 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:24 PM

[. . .]
Hyrkanian (Best essay)

Hi Jeff, Barbara's essay can only be nominated once, and since it wasn't completed until this year, it won't be eligible for an award until next year.

Rob

Oh good point. I didn't think about that.

Next year, Barb.

#8 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

Oops, double post. Damn droid phone.

Edited by theagenes, 28 January 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#9 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:33 PM

Thanks Jeff for the thought. I also want to point out that you are eligible for the Venarium Award -- Emerging Scholar. You started publishing articles last year. Excellent point about Patrice. Is someone checking into his twenty year eligibility?
BB

#10 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for nod Barb. I'm not sure if Patrice's eligibility has been determined yet. Also Mark might be eligible.

Time is starting to tick down on this nomination process. I hope people have been participating. I'm working on finalizing mine and I wanted to throw a shout out for two other articles think should receive your consideration for the Hyrkanian:

Rob Roehm - "The Vinson Papers" REH: TGR Website. (Excellent multi-part article of one of REH's closest friends)
Brian Leno - "Atali, the Lady of Frozen Death." TGR #15 (Brian looks at several of REH's possible sources for FGD."

Edited by theagenes, 07 February 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#11 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

I sent my nominations in a couple of weeks ago although I didn't know at the time about the possibility Patrice and/or Mark might be eligible for nomination. I may have to file an addendum.....if that's possible.

I definitely agree regarding the quality of "The Vinson Papers." In fact, TGR had some outstanding posts this past year. So much so that I used the category of Black River Award for Special Achievement to nominate Keith Taylor for each of his historical posts on TGR; Rob Roehm for each of his posts on REH's friends, school days, etc.; and Brian Leno for each of his boxing posts under the category of Black River Award for Special Achievement. I was impressed with the scope of the work and the uniform quality of their posts on each of the subjects and felt frustrated that I couldn't choose just one. I felt they each of them had a theme and within the framework of that, produced some outstanding essays and scholarly research.
BB

#12 Mark Finn

Mark Finn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

I sent my nominations in a couple of weeks ago although I didn't know at the time about the possibility Patrice and/or Mark might be eligible for nomination. I may have to file an addendum.....if that's possible.

If by "Mark" you mean me, don't bother. I won the Inaugural Venarium award, lo, these many many moons ago. However, I did write Jeff's name in. It's a good list, distinguished company.

I definitely agree regarding the quality of "The Vinson Papers." In fact, TGR had some outstanding posts this past year. So much so that I used the category of Black River Award for Special Achievement to nominate Keith Taylor for each of his historical posts on TGR; Rob Roehm for each of his posts on REH's friends, school days, etc.; and Brian Leno for each of his boxing posts under the category of Black River Award for Special Achievement. I was impressed with the scope of the work and the uniform quality of their posts on each of the subjects and felt frustrated that I couldn't choose just one. I felt they each of them had a theme and within the framework of that, produced some outstanding essays and scholarly research.
BB

Damon has really picked up the slack when the Cimmerian closed up shop. I check TGR daily to see what's new and good. Rob, too, has taken the original challenge laid out by Leo, namely, Publish or step aside, and taken that on as a personal mantra. This is, of course, a very good thing.

I hope other people reading this post have sent in their nominations. If you haven't, please do! If you want some suggestions, just read up in the thread. Lots of things to see and explore in this category. And hey, now that there's an ART AWARD, I want to see some comic book creator's names on the nomination list, as well. And I say this with no disrespect to Jim and Ruth, who are friends of mine and awesome in every single way. But it's clear that the scope of these awards is starting to widen a bit. There's room for more people in this field. I want the nomination ballots, at the very least, to reflect that.
Mark Finn

#13 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

I would be incredibly honored just to be considered for the Venarium, much less win it. But I was talking about you possibly being eligible for the Black Circle.

As for the Rankin, maybe you post a link to this thread in the Illustrated Conan forum where all the comic fans hang out. I would do it, but you've got more pull. :P

My picks for the Rankin are:

Jim and Ruth Keegan (cover art for Tales of Weird Menace and Steve Harrison's Casebook)
Gregory Manchess (covers for Solomon Kane: Red Shadows)
Doug Wheatley (Covers for Conan: Road of Kings)

Honorable mention for Greg Scott and the El Borak feature in REH's SS.

#14 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Ah, I'm a moron. I forgot King Conan: The Scarlet Citadle and Tomas Giorello. I believe he's been nominated in the past, but I'd like to see him win. I think he's starting to surpass Cary Nord as my favorite modern Conan artist.

#15 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

I've extended the nomination period and added a list of titles. Details here:

http://www.rehfounda...eriod-extended/

Rob

#16 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

I would've sent in my list ages ago, but it's difficult thinking who to nominate for Black River...

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#17 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:39 PM

I would've sent in my list ages ago, but it's difficult thinking who to nominate for Black River...

I nominated Rob for his biographical work on Howard's friends and aquaintences, and also Justin Everett and Deirdre Pettipiece for organizing two REH sessions at the 2011 PCA/ACA Conference.

#18 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Good choices, Jeff! Also you and Mark Finn for the PCA/ACA presentations in San Antonio not to mention the historical articles written by Keith Taylor on TGR.
BB

#19 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

You know it's too late for me, because I already sent in my nominations, but the more I think about, I wonder about nominating Jason Mamoa for the Black River award. He seems to have been one of the few people associated with the movie that was actually trying to get some of Howard's Conan into the film. His portrayl of Conan is much closer to Howard's than Arnie or Moeller. Regardless of what you think of the movie as a whole (and I know many of us would like to give it the Star Wars Holiday Special it-never-happened treatment), the fact is Momoa brought back Howard's best-known character to the big screen and that is certainly one of the most noteworthy things to happened in Howardom in 2011.

#20 Black Indy

Black Indy

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

Valusian (Best anthology)
Anniversary: Glenn Lord and the Howard Collector (ed. Dennis McHaney)
Lone Scout of Letters (ed. Rob Roehm)

Hyrkanian (Best essay)

Aquilonian (Periodical)
The Howard Collector (This should count I think; a new issue was published last year and there was an intention of of doing further issues)
REH: Two-Gun Raconteur
The Dark Man

The Stygian (Website)
Tough to beat TGR here

Cimmerian (Blog posts)
Al Harron (Blog that Time Forgot and Conan Movie Blog)
Brian Leno (TGR; I'm a sucker for old-school boxing)
Keith Taylor (TGR; and I'm a sucker for history too)

The Black Circle (Lifetime Achievement)
This one works a little differently, as you have to first meet the requirements to be on the list of potential nominees, then be nominated to be on the ballot for the following year, then be confirmed with a 60% vote to approve. Last year Dennis McHaney and Damon Sasser were nominated and will be on the ballot this year. The existing list for potential nominees as far as I know (and Rob please correct me if I'm wrong) is:

BLOSSER, FRED
CERASINI, MARC
De CAMP, LYON SPRAGUE (posthumous)
HOFFMAN, CHARLES
LOVING, BILLIE RUTH (posthumous)
THOMAS, ROY
WAGNER, KARL EDWARD (posthumous)

I would like to point out that PATRICE LOUINET, published his first article on REH in 1990 and now has twenty years in. I suggest that Patrice be added to the list of potential nominees.

CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE BLACK CIRCLE
Glenn Lord (2004)
Rusty Burke (2006)
Don Herron (2006)
Novalyne Price Ellis (2007)

Ummm...Bill Cavalier 2010