Photo

Do You Think Solomon Kane Could Work As A Tv Series ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Rockamobile

Rockamobile

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:31 AM

And who would you like to see produce it? And Which Channel or Network would give it the best chance for success? :)

Edited by Rockamobile, 25 January 2012 - 04:34 AM.

#2 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:03 AM

I think it would be good but man, who in the world could do it right?

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Not SyFy. HBO?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:44 PM

Starz, perhaps? If they could find good African locations, it could work.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#5 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Surly not NBC,I don't want to risk loosing GRIM,thats my show woot woot:)

Edited by Konorg, 25 January 2012 - 05:53 PM.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#6 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

They would have to make up a ton of stories, and they would degenerate into stale formula plots. Sorry.

#7 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I dunno. Many of the Kane stories could make for 2 or 3-parters, and there's gaps between them that could be filled --- carefully --- with pastiche material. The new season of Spartacus has only ten episodes, so there's no much room for padding.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#8 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

Unfortunately Kane sufferes from the same problem that Conan does when adapting to a series: few if recurring characters and plots that could be stretched over seveal episodes or seasons.

Cormac Mac Art or Kull, on the other hand, could work rather well as a series
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#9 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

They would have to make up a ton of stories, and they would degenerate into stale formula plots. Sorry.

I have to agree with Kortoso. A mini-series is the best that the material could produce.

If Hollywood writers started to produce stories from whole cloth...well I just shudder at what kind of Van Helsing scripts they would produce. :rolleyes:

Kev
"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword

#10 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

you could always give Kane some buddies...N'Longa , Le Loup, John Silent....I think there would be enough characters and one could always add one or two perhaps

#11 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

I may have mentioned it before, but I think that a high profile made for cable anthology based on the magazine weird tales,(similar in concept to the old tales from the crypt show ), except they would be an hour instead of a half hour and would often have two parters, would be able to directly adapt REH HPl CAS etc.This would :
1) solve the problem of an ensemble cast, the episodes would be independent from one another so it would be cast er episode, not series.( which would allow better adaptations for example season one may have an adaptation of tower of the elephant with a young guy playing conan in the episode and later in the season when they do say phoenix on the sword , an older guy playing king conan)
2) the focus would be on the quality of the adaptation, can you imagine the possibilities of the shadow over innsmouth one week and then the fightenest pair the next?
3) like tales from the crypt , if a success you may see movies , weird tales 1) the people of the black circle or 2)the dream quest of unknown kadath.
It has room for all of those wonderful stories we all enjoy, and a chance of decent adaptation if done on cable , and it's random every week a different story adapted froma different author from that time.Solomon Kane could feature in a few episodes one season , bran mak morn in another, kings of night by season 4!!! but alas, just a dream...

#12 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Kane doesnt have the Conan created world,history you could create an ongoing story of. Kane is closer to supernatural horror than S&S. He is better a force of nature that walks from one story to another.

He can be at best like Supernatural tv show. Going after monsters you could create season villains of.

So he can work as tv show by people who know their weird story,supernatural horror writing. People like Eric Kripke(Supernatural) who can create creepy one shots 10 times a season and 5-6 story eps with a recurring villain. They can build on Howard stories.

But for godsake no origin,personal story.

Edited by Libaax, 26 January 2012 - 11:50 PM.

#13 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Another problem, as far as TV writers go, is that there would be no romance interest, at least not without changing the character considerably.

#14 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

I'd second Starz as a potential production company, but as mentioned above, I can see the lack of love interest being a big problem to networks. Worse yet, they make decide to give Kane a tough female side-kick, which would really suck.

#15 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:48 AM

I'd second Starz as a potential production company, but as mentioned above, I can see the lack of love interest being a big problem to networks. Worse yet, they make decide to give Kane a tough female side-kick, which would really suck.

N'longalina, the sexy shamaness. :wacko:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#16 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

N'longalina, the sexy shamaness. :wacko:

That's actually not half as bad as what I was thinking of. At least they'd have kept one foot in the source material with that idea.
I was thinking of something far more godawful like Kate Beckinsale in that "Van Helsing" mockery of a film.

Kane is that classic drifter rolls into town, rights wrongs, then leaves kinda guy. Like virtually any Clint Eastwood western, Kung Fu or even the Hulk TV series. It's already a tried and tested formula that worked well back in the 70's and 80's and is probably due for a reboot.

Edited by Kahn, 28 January 2012 - 01:01 PM.

#17 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Another problem, as far as TV writers go, is that there would be no romance interest, at least not without changing the character considerably.

Thats why i meant Supernatural and its creator type writer. That series is similar and has no romantic interest in 7 seasons of tv show. There were dream ep with Dean having a wife. If you dont know that show the two heroes are Hunters, their on the road lifestyle is said in the writing of the show to not let them have room for normal things like romantic interest.

Using that show only as example and Kane could work in similar way but in his historical times. Romantic interest is not needed unless its a clichè big hollywood film.

#18 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Thats why i meant Supernatural and its creator type writer. That series is similar and has no romantic interest in 7 seasons of tv show. There were dream ep with Dean having a wife. If you dont know that show the two heroes are Hunters, their on the road lifestyle is said in the writing of the show to not let them have room for normal things like romantic interest.

Using that show only as example and Kane could work in similar way but in his historical times. Romantic interest is not needed unless its a clichè big hollywood film.

You are absolutely correct.

#19 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:28 PM

AMC has been cranking out some pretty good stuff!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#20 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I like Mario's idea of an anthology program. It would solve having to create filler material for the spaces in various characters lives and allow whoever airs it to devote more time and production value to each episode. I can see Starz, HBO, or Showtime being the ones to produce them as the original stories are rather filled with violence, nudity, and extreme situations.

Another possibility is for one of the speciality channels to do several two hour tv movies based on individual stories.
Chiller is now starting to produce their own original material, The same with FEARnet. And obviously AMC is showing that there is still mileage to be gotten from the mix of drama and zombies.

The one thing to be avoided is any of these ideas getting on a broadcast network. The material would be so watered down as to be, at best, pale imitations of the orignal sources.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"