#1 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Hello All,

This will be my first time posting but I have been a long time lurker. What I am sharing with you is some work from a project I gave myself doing concept design for the Solomon Kane story " Rattle of Bones". I have some character designs, Storyboards, Weapon and Props, Environments and even a 10 minute Animatic. What can I say? I'm a BIG fan!

Anyways, take a look and look forward to discussing all things Howard with you in the future.

Cheers!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Animatic
Available for Freelance and Comissions
My Website
My Blog

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,051 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

REALLY good-looking stuff, Mike. B) Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure you know that SK was black-haired.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

Very cool! Opening shots: I would make Solomon's buckle a little smaller. It doesn't look quite realistic.
Sure you'll get other tweaks.

And welcome!

#4 Rargentum

Rargentum

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:45 PM

Two words...
AWE SOME
Applying a keenish critical eye to the Conan stories.
http://www.conanquotes.com

Follow on Twtter for Conan quotes:
https://twitter.com/QuotableConan

Loads of free guitar resources for anyone who plays guitar
http://robsilverguit...blogspot.co.uk/

#5 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

Great stuff!

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#6 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:08 AM

Very nice indeed, really like your professional artwork. Is this anmation?

And welcome.

Your SKane reminds me of Kirk Douglas abit lol, looks great....but the hair was dark. :)
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#7 Axerules

Axerules

In Memoriam: 2007-2014. Old stones aficionado

• Moderators
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:12 AM

Nice! Thank you and welcome to the forum! B)
Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back

Samurai maxim

#8 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

Very impressive, and indicative of great dedication to REH. But I would point out that the sign on the exterior of the tavern would not be in English, but in the midst of The Black Forest would be in either French or German.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#9 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hey Guys Thanks! It's mean a lot comming from Real RE Howard fans. It took all of 1 post before it was pointed out that I got the hair color wrong! :rolleyes: To be honest, I have never ever met an Englishman with Black hair. Hell, I've never met anyone from England with black hair. I'm sure they exhist somewhere but I took some creative liscense with that particular aspect of the character. If I ever do him again, I'll make sure the hair is darker.

Dave the Rage: Thanks man. Yeah I was inspired by Kirk Douglas for sure. I think he would be perfect to play the role and I borrowed a page out of Alex Ross's play book and casted my favorite actor in the role. There are no animations but I did animate the storyboard based on the tale and you can view that on my you tube account. It's about 9.5 minues long.

Here are a couple of process shots that I put together on this project.

Posted Image

Posted Image
My Website
My Blog

#10 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:08 AM

You are right Iron Hand but again, I claim artistic license on that one too. ;)
My Website
My Blog

#11 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:27 AM

In that case I prefer the signs with no lettering. ^_^
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#12 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Maybe just "Gasthaus". :) But I understand the limitations at hand.

#13 Crom

Crom

Honored Cimmerian

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

Excellent work. I like the B&W exteriors.

#14 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:44 PM

Seriously what a talent, makes me think about calling a halt to mine. Inferiority ruins a mans image! ;)

I love the animated gif process for your colouring Mike, makes it look so easy and yet the detail is amazing!
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#15 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:06 AM

Hey Thanks Guys!
Dave, Don't give up! Drawing is an entirely learned skill so all it takes is Practice. I'll take a look at your work and give some feedback if you'd like.
My Website
My Blog

#16 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

This is truly outstanding work. One might note some minor inconsistencies like Kane's hair colour or his staff, which was not available to him in the tale (I think), but that does not diminish the quality of the illustrations.

#17 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Hey Thanks Guys!
Dave, Don't give up! Drawing is an entirely learned skill so all it takes is Practice. I'll take a look at your work and give some feedback if you'd like.

Mike I am a hobby artist, been a sideline for years since a kid. Never took it serious at all. After a bout of ill health I decided to plough into the pens and paper again finding my roots once more.

I seem to have made leaps at times with perspective and angles, but noticed issues with my poses etc. Got a few books in library, and some recommendations from Mike Peters and others, and bought a few books too. 'Figure Drawing for all its Worth' by Andrew Loomis is excellent to say the least and is helping me prepare for ideas that I have in my hed and need to get to paper. I like to take my time like a fine wine and prepare....42 yrs now in the making of a graphic novel lol.

Thanks for the offer, but I would rather watch you do your thing! Like a video of you working on colours etc would be awsome. Do you have any of you working on youtube etc? :)

my humble website: http://fantasy-unlimited.webs.com/

(I hate that Mike guy, see how good he draws!!! punches leg in anger) ;)
EVEN HIS BEHOLDER IS AWSOME.......tsk!

Edited by Dave the Rage, 03 February 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#18 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

Hey Dave, Thanks alot!
Andrew Loomis is the best there is and you should also pick up "Creative Illustration". That combined with "Figure Drawing..." and you should be set for learning materials. I don't have a video tutorial but I do post up animaed Gif's of my process from time to time. I just wrapped up a Minotaur illustration and I have a WIP Gif demonstrating my process posted up on my CA Thread at the bottom.
The biggest advice that I can send your way is to practive every day and push yourself out of your comfort zones. I hate drawing Enviroments yet, I need too and I've had to push myself to get off my duff and do them. Tackle your weaknesses but also draw what you love. It is for enjoyment after all. I took a look at your site and I see a ton of the old Savage Sword of Conan influence there. It's fun stuff and I think your ideas are solid, you just need to work more on things like anatomy and composition. All of which is available in the Loomis Material. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Cheers!
My Website
My Blog

#19 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:29 PM

Chrs for the pointers Mike, I will get these tomes asap.
Yip, I love the old SSoC it has been my ambition to draw something of Conan. Time is running out (old now lol), but will kepp chasing the dream, keeps me zane (ish).

I liked your gif a process for the minatour, do you do this for animation or 3D animation design? The bro does blendering and thnks your stuff is well suited to that median? Have you any projects of your own finished in animation?

#20 MikePerryArt

MikePerryArt

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

I do the Gif's because I'm an art geek and I love it when other artists do it so why not do it myself. I find it to be helpful to see how others go about solving their problems. I have certification in 3d Animation and I've worked in both animation and design but I don't have any 'finished" animations to share. Your Bro does blendering? I'm not familiar with the term, can you elaborate for me?
My Website
My Blog

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solomon Kane, Concept Art CharacterDesign