2 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

In Aquilonia it seems that there are both legions and knightly armies. What is the deal here?

Are the legions "like the Black Legion" a proffessional or mercenary force. Or are they standard imperial legion (romanstyle). In Hour of the Dragon, Conan dresses like a mercenary, wearing slightly different gear. But in the novel armies seem predominately feudal in character. Archers, spearmen, men at arms and knights.

There are also the Black Dragons, are they the Praetorian guard or the kings Elite companions?

In Scarlet Citadel King Conan takes 5000 knights (only) across the border to Ophir. Kind of a weird thing to do? Unless they would be mixed cavalry, dismounted knights/dragoons mounted archers and such. Same numbers as a legion 5000.

Just rambling, thought it might be an interesting thread.

#2 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:26 AM

Aquilonia and the other Hyborian nations are feudal. No imperial legions. See the "Aquiromia" threads.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

Legion doesn't necessarily mean "Roman", or "French foreign Legion" either for that matter,