3 replies to this topic

#1 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:30 PM

George RR Martin announced that Gary Gianni will do the 2014 Song of Ice and Fire calendar. In his announcement was this statement:

"I've been a huge fan of Gianni's ever since I first stumbled upon a copy of the Wandering Star limited edition of THE SAVAGE TALES OF SOLOMON KANE (my favorite Robert E. Howard character, fwiw). Until I saw the Wandering Star book, the notion that any other artist could ever do a Solomon Kane to compare to Jeff Jones's version would have struck me as rank heresy, but Gianni's art blew me away."

#2 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,630 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

So he's enough of a SK fan to be interested in comparing different artists who have rendered him.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#3 sonny sixshooter

sonny sixshooter

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:37 PM

And he has great taste in art.

#4 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro