• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

I know nothing of RPGs, really, but thought I'd share.

Scott Oden mentioned this, and we both had the same thought - potential for a Bran Mak Morn adventure or three (?)

43 A.D. - Invasion & Insurrection - Roleplaying in Roman Britain

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,048 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

I know nothing of RPGs, really, but thought I'd share.

Scott Oden mentioned this, and we both had the same thought - potential for a Bran Mak Morn adventure or three (?)

43 A.D. - Invasion & Insurrection - Roleplaying in Roman Britain

Could be cool, I guess. Every indication from the BMM yarns places them in the 200-210AD time-period.

Playing Roman grunts in such a game would be about like playing Orks in Warhammer 40K.

A whole new map/glossary of 3rd century (Howardian) Roman Britain would have to be devised.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:59 PM

I would like to see a rpg come out based on BMM. My only problem is I doubt that there is enough original material to create a fully fleshed out setting.
Still, I can see it being done for the Barbarians of Lemuria, or Savage Worlds systems.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#4 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:37 PM

This is one hell of a description:

But the Wall itself is not more wonderful than the town behind it. Long ago there were great ramparts and ditches on the South side, and no one was allowed to build there. Now the ramparts are partly pulled down and built over, from end to end of the Wall; making a thin town eighty miles long. Think of it! One roaring, rioting, cock-fighting, wolf-baiting, horse-racing town, from Ituna on the West to Segedunum on the cold eastern beach! On one side heather, woods and ruins where Picts hide, and on the other, a vast town - long like a snake, and wicked like a snake. Yes, a snake basking beside a warm wall!

Rudyard Kipling, Puck of Pook’s Hill

Sounds interesting if it could fit the BMM framework. This looks more history-oriented. I think the earlier mention about Picts is in 297 AD. The previous locals of Scotland were generically termed Caledonians by the Romans. But this stuff probably includes the conquest period of Britain as well.

#5 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:02 PM

Seems that they are going to be releasing a supplement for 43A.D.
The supplement will allow you to create Celtic characters fighting the Romans.
Seems that with the two books it would only take a little work to create Pictish characters.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#6 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

I believe that if you ran a GURPS Conan game but just used Celtic/Howard setting info you wouldn't go far wrong. GURPS' historical stuff with some monsters and ethnic-races captures Howardian historical fantasy very well, IMO.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#7 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I just stumbled across this: http://www.kickstart...by-robin-d-laws

Seems to me like the ideal RPG system for a Bran Mak Morn RPG. Might be worth checking out. I am pledging because I love collecting special out-of-the-ordinary RPG systems that are set in a beautiful way (which the example slides show very well).
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!