Photo

Exact Date Of Conan's Creation By Robert E. Howard?

REH trip Conans Creation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CromWisdomWorshipper

CromWisdomWorshipper

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hello! I'm new here and, first, I would like to thank for being able to participate in the forum.
I am a big fan of Conan since the 80s, when I was still a child.

I searched this question on the forum and could not find.

So, I'd like to ask if anyone here knows the exact date of Conan's creation.

As I read, Robert created Conan on a trip to the border in February 1932, correct?

When exactly was this trip?
Which day of the month of February?
For how many days he traveled?
When he returned home and began writing the first idea about Conan?

Anyway, what was the exact day of the trip in which Robert E. Howard has the idea of ​​creating the character of Conan, in February 1932?

Because it seems that now, in February 2012, we would be completing 80 years of the designing concept of Conan, the Barbarian!

#2 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to find this answer, which I am sure will surface soon!
Happy Birthday Conan! :)

#3 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:49 PM

We don't have the answers to all those questions, unfortunately. I am working on it, though, making some headway. I doubt if we will ever be in a position to know what *day* Conan was created though.

#4 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:11 PM

Since February is almost over, it's likely we all missed his birthday, but certainly you can nail down the exact date the Phoneix on the Sword hit shelves, and we can celebrate his birthday on that day.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#5 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Since February is almost over, it's likely we all missed his birthday, but certainly you can nail down the exact date the Phoneix on the Sword hit shelves, and we can celebrate his birthday on that day.

Actually even that might be tough unless someone finds a copy with an arrival date. It probably would have been first week of November though.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#6 Patrice Louinet

Patrice Louinet

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

At that time (1932) Weird Tales went on sale the First of the preceding month, ie the cover dated Dec 1932 issue was on sale Nov 1.

#7 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:13 PM

There you have it. Since my birthday is November 2, I'll have a double reason to celebrate. I'll be forty and Conan will be eighty.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#8 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:20 PM

We could make it easy by declaring February, Conan Month by celebrating the whole month for his Birthday :) ( raising the mead horn )

#9 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Aye, t'would be the height of geekery to sweat over the details. :)

Let us give him honor!

#10 thatericn

thatericn

Grumpy Gunderman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Location:The vast, uncharted expanses of suburban Southern California

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

An idea... Conan wasn't likely much for ceremony, plus he was constantly traveling, and has always stayed young... 1932 was a leap year... So, it wouldn't be too much of an imposition on him to celebrate his birthday every Leap Day! What do you think? "Yeah, Conan, show up every four years. We'll throw a great party!"
"Careful with that ax, Eugene"

#11 CromWisdomWorshipper

CromWisdomWorshipper

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Great! An entire month to celebrate! For sure, It's an idea that Conan will enjoy!.

Thanks for the answers!

But I'm still with a huge curious in my Hyborian studies, about the exact date of Conan's creation by REH.

I think that is more interesting considerer the Conan's Birth when he came in REH's mind, instead of when was released his first edition on Weird Tales.

I know that is difficult to discover this, but I think that it's important.
I will keep searching, and I hope someday find it!

#12 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:44 AM

CWW:
Give Patrice Louinet time and he'll come up with the answer, if it's possible. He's literally read *thousands* of REH's original typescript pages and is an authority on dating them. He recently discovered three new photos of REH for Howard fans. Here is the link. See March 5th: http://rehtwogunraco...r.com/?m=201203

And there are other REH scholars going through many many boxes of materials from REH's friends and people who wrote about or knew him. I think you're right not to give up. This fact could be sitting unknown in someone's attic waiting to be found or in the next typescript page that is examined.
BB