8 replies to this topic

#1 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:59 AM

OK, so I've become a comics junky for all stuff set during the Hyborian Age. I need a little help. I'm not really a collector. I just want to read the stories, and I typically like collections much more than I do single issues.

I'm curious what I need to hunt down, especially with the Red Sonja section below. Will one of you learned Hyborian Age (and Thurian Age!) comics reads steer me in the right direction?

OK, let's look at 'em by character.

CONAN

I. Conan & Dark Horse

New Dark Horse stuff: I collect the book (trades? are they called?) as soon as they come out. I've got Book 0: Born on the Battlefield, right through to Book 10: Iron Shadows In The Moon. Book 11: The Road of Kings is due to arrive as soon as the softback version is published in May.

As for the Dark Horse mini-series, I think I've managed to purchase them all except one: I've got...

Conan and the Daughters of Midora
Conan and the Demons of Khitai
Conan and the Jewels of Gwahlur
Conan and the Midnight God
Conan and the Songs of the Dead
Conan: Book of Thoth
Conan: The Blood-stained Crown and other stories
Conan: The Spear and other stories

King Conan: The Scarlet Citadel

I don't have: Conan: Island of No Return. Maybe it will appear in Conan Road of Kings. Hopefully.

So, except for Island of No Return, I think I'm on top of the newer Dark Horse stuff, correct?

I have the one hardback volumne of the Newpaper reprints that Dark Horse did. Doesn't look like any more of these are coming out, huh?

II. Conan & Dark Horse Marvel Reprints

I collect the Marvel reprints as soon as they are published. I've got Chronicles of Conan Vol 1 - Tower of the Elephant and other stories through Vol 21 - Blood of the Titan and other stories. Vol 22 - Dominion of the Dead and other stories will arrive in July as soon as its published.

I've got the two vols. of King Conan so far published.

And, I don't miss a reprint of Savage Sword of Conan. I've got vol. 1 through vol. 10, with vol. 11 on the way.

III. Conan Marvel Original Graphic Novels

I've got all seven.

Conan: The Witch Queen of Acheron
Conan the Reaver
Conan of the Isles
Conan: The Skull of Set
Conan: The Horn of Azoth
Conan The Rogue
Conan: The Ravagers Out of Time

IV. Conan Marvel Mini-Series

I've got all 8 sets.

Conan: Stalker of the Woods
Conan: The Usurper
Conan: Lord of the Spiders
Conan: River of Blood
Conan: Return of Styrm
Conan: Scarlet Sword
Conan: Death Covered In Gold
Conan: Flame and the Fiend

V. Conan Marvel Comics

Conan (1995 Reboot) - All 11 issues.
Conan The Adventurer - All 14 issues.
Conan The Savage - All 10 issues.

Do you see that I'm missing anything except the Island of No Return?

Edited by Boot, 27 February 2012 - 03:01 AM.

#2 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Now, let's look at Kull. Here's what I've got. You tell me if I'm missing something.

KULL

I. Kull & Dark Horse

I've got Kull The Shadow Kingdom and Kull The Hate Witch. No more of these, huh?

II. Kull & Dark Horse Marvel Reprints

I've got the Chronicles of Kull Vol 1 - A King Comes Riding and other stories through Vol 4 - The Blood of Kings other stories. I've got Vol 5 - Dead Men of the Deep and other stories was ordered tonight.

And, I've got the two Savage Sword of Kull reprints.

III. Kull Marvel Original Graphic Novels

I've got the only one.

Kull: The Vale of Shadow

Can you think of anything I don't have featuring Kull?

Edited by Boot, 27 February 2012 - 03:18 AM.

#3 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

Lastly, let's look at Red Sonja and other Hyborian Age characters (or Thurian Age).

I need the most help with this category.

RED SONJA

I. Red Sonja & Dynamite

I just now ordered Red Sonja Omnibus Vol. 1 just before I wrote this post. I know that there is an Omnibus 2. I believe these collect the Dynamite Red Sonja She-Devil With a Sword series. I'll buy more Red Sonja if the first Omnibus is good.

What else should I collect from Dynamite. Are there several mini-serious outside of what is collected in the Omnibuses?

What about the Queen Sonja collections?

I've also got the Dynamite Thulsa Doom vol. 1 collection. Are there any more of these coming?

II. Red Sonja Marvel Reprints

Savage Sword of Red Sonja?

The Adventures of Red Sonja?

Care to comment if any of those are worth getting--and please mention if you can think of something I'm missing on my list.

#4 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

No help, huh? No worries, then. I'll figure out what I need.

#5 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:28 PM

I can tell you right off the bat that most of the Red Sonja stuff by Dynamite is pretty bad, imo. It started off well enough, but her character becomes almost god-like and totally changes from the Marvel version. It got so bad that I eventually stopped buying it, so I can't advise you well if you're bent on getting every issue. That being said, it's been a few years and maybe the newer stuff is better (like Queen Sonja)? I would say, however, that the graphic novel reprints of the old Marvel series that Dynamite released are worth getting. Also, I kind of enjoyed the 4-issue mini-series, Savage Red Sonja: Queen of the Frozen Wastes since it was somewhat of a departure from the regular series and simply focused on Sonja and some fellow slaves trying to escape an evil ice queen and her yeti-like servants.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#6 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

I can tell you right off the bat that most of the Red Sonja stuff by Dynamite is pretty bad, imo. It started off well enough, but her character becomes almost god-like and totally changes from the Marvel version. It got so bad that I eventually stopped buying it, so I can't advise you well if you're bent on getting every issue. That being said, it's been a few years and maybe the newer stuff is better (like Queen Sonja)? I would say, however, that the graphic novel reprints of the old Marvel series that Dynamite released are worth getting. Also, I kind of enjoyed the 4-issue mini-series, Savage Red Sonja: Queen of the Frozen Wastes since it was somewhat of a departure from the regular series and simply focused on Sonja and some fellow slaves trying to escape an evil ice queen and her yeti-like servants.

Supposedly , though I haven't picked them up , Red Sonja has improved a lot since Eric Trautmann started writing it.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#7 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

I need a good Kull and Red Sonja wiki that lists the various series and side issues, like there is for Conan.

#8 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:47 AM

I wouldn't say that you are missing that. It was terrible.

#9 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 920 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:17 AM

I wouldn't say that you are missing that. It was terrible.

I've read some Conan comic stuff that wasn't that good, but I enjoy most of it. I can only think of one story so far that I thought was down right terrible, and that's the Conan: The Stalker of the Woods mini-series. That was a real stinker.