37 replies to this topic

#1 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

GoT the DVD is scheduled to be released March 6, according to a sign displayed at my local Wal-Mart (in St. Louis). What will it cost? $70? I will pay. I am willing to pay for quality.

Hoping to see some discussion here.

Edited by Ironhand, 27 February 2012 - 06:48 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#2 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

Hoping to get this for my birthday, on the 29th. B)
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#3 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:45 PM

Best Buy is offering exclusive covers - Stark or Targeryen. You also get a free keychain if you pre-order from them.

Anyway, at both amazon.com and bestbuy.com, the dvd is $29.99 and the bluray is $34.99.

Edit: I should add that the list prices on both are much higher, but they're discounted at the above places.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#4 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

I've been watching the series again. Thanks to my IN DEMAND system all the episodes are avaliable.
I have to say that I love the entire thing.
Does anyone know when the 2nd season is suppose to start?
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#5 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

April 1st.

#6 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,125 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:04 PM

April 1st.

You're joking. :P
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#7 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'll have to make sure that my DVR is set and ready.
Can't wait to see how Tyrion deals with his nephew, King Joffrey.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#8 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

DVR is a wonderful thing!

April 1st.

You're joking. :P

Tagline: "April Fools Day is coming."

#9 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:17 AM

GoT the DVD is scheduled to be released March 6, according to a sign displayed at my local Wal-Mart (in St. Louis). What will it cost? $70? I will pay. I am willing to pay for quality.

Not by me, i like the actors and it looked visually very good like every HBO show but i just cant make myself care for fantasy that is more about politics than fantastic world, adventure etc

I like the barbarian Momoa plays, his Mongolian like people part of the story only mostly.

Just not fantastic enough for me.

#10 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Not by me, i like the actors and it looked visually very good like every HBO show but i just cant make myself care for fantasy that is more about politics than fantastic world, adventure etc

I like the barbarian Momoa plays, his Mongolian like people part of the story only mostly.

INteresting. I think what has made GoT so broadly popluar is just hte fact that it's not TOO fantastic. It pulls in people who wouldn't ordinarily be drawn to fantasy.

#11 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

INteresting. I think what has made GoT so broadly popluar is just hte fact that it's not TOO fantastic. It pulls in people who wouldn't ordinarily be drawn to fantasy.

Yeah for tv fans its like a historical period drama plus the HBO hype,acclaim brings in alot of non-fantasy fans. Book fans world ,its not huge is because its not fantastic enough. It hasnt sold in million of copies. Grim, political modern fantasy is popular but not multi million sales popular like Tolkien knock off fantasy.

I can respect the actors, the production value but i dont like this kind of so called fantasy. I adore Lena Heady for example but the tv show isnt for me like i didnt like the book. I just hope it opens the way for other quality cabel fantasy shows. Stuff with more money, quality people behind than say Legend of the Seeker stuff.

Edited by Libaax, 01 March 2012 - 07:38 PM.

#12 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:39 PM

Yeah for tv fans its like a historical period drama plus the HBO hype,acclaim brings in alot of non-fantasy fans. Book fans world ,its not huge is because its not fantastic enough. It hasnt sold in million of copies. Grim, political modern fantasy is popular but not multi million sales popular like Tolkien knock off fantasy.

I can respect the actors, the production value but i dont like this kind of so called fantasy. I adore Lena Heady for example but the tv show isnt for me like i didnt like the book. I just hope it opens the way for other quality cabel fantasy shows. Stuff with more money, quality people behind than say Legend of the Seeker stuff.

Well, amen to that. I, too, adore Lena Headey. Have to say, I have a hard time with her as Cersei. There's something a tough too "modern" about her.

#13 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:28 AM

i hope these people can pick up the conan story when they finish GoT.

i think there's going to be a bit more fantasy coming in now, after all the blonde chick with the cool name just birthed two dragons.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#14 Alien

Alien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:51 PM

Got the DVD box set today for $29.99 at Target. Came with an exclusive bonus disc featurette: creating the visual effects.

#15 cromsguts

cromsguts

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Getting the Bluray from Amazon ASAP! 2nd season is almost here. "Winter is Comming" indeed.

9:00 EST HBO April 1st!
"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut," answered
Conan. "I threw my ax at the demon, and he took no hurt, but I might
have missed in the dusk, or a branch deflected its flight. I'm not
going out of my way looking for devils; but I wouldn't step out of my
path to let one go by."

#16 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:50 PM

Got the DVD box set today for $29.99 at Target. Came with an exclusive bonus disc featurette: creating the visual effects.

Got mine at Best Buy for the same price. No bonus disc that I know of, but it has the Best Buy exclusive Stark cover (that I chose over Targaryen).

#17 Alien

Alien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

Got mine at Best Buy for the same price. No bonus disc that I know of, but it has the Best Buy exclusive Stark cover (that I chose over Targaryen).

Yeah that's probably the bonus perk BB got Wal-mart also had its own bonus disc/feauturette (Houses of the Seven Kingdoms

(16 min). Was the exclusive cover just the slip cover? I really like the standard one.

#18 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 03:45 AM

Yeah that's probably the bonus perk BB got Wal-mart also had its own bonus disc/feauturette (Houses of the Seven Kingdoms

(16 min). Was the exclusive cover just the slip cover? I really like the standard one.

Yeah, it's a slipcover.

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:06 AM

I went to Best Buy, and the GoT shelves were labeled but empty. I was going to order one, then I found one of the last copies on an auxiliary shelf in the back of the store. :D Got the Stark boxed DVD set for $29.99 marked down from $49.99. I like Danaerys, but I don't like the Targaryen family as much as I like the Stark family.

I don't think the Conan DVD moved this fast. See what happens when you make a good movie?

Edited by Ironhand, 07 March 2012 - 07:14 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I went to Best Buy, and the GoT shelves were labeled but empty. I was going to order one, then I found one of the last copies on an auxiliary shelf in the back of the store. :D Got the Stark boxed DVD set for $29.99 marked down from $49.99. I like Danaerys, but I don't like the Targaryen family as much as I like the Stark family.

When I arrived at Best Buy yesterday, there were only about 5 or 6 copies left (both covers). Had I waited until after the gym as I originally planned, they likely would've been sold out. Glad it's selling so well. though!