#1 DrSolarMOTA

DrSolarMOTA

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:24 PM

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #5
Brian Wood (W), James Harren (A), Dave Stewart ©, and Massimo Carnevale (Cover)
On sale June 13
FC, 32 pages
$3.50
Ongoing
Brian Wood and James Harren turn up the intensity in "The Argos Deception" Part 2!
Conan’s pirate days may already be over! Captured for his past crimes in Messantia, the Cimmerian faces public execution before a mob baying for his blood. But will he really lose his head—or is it all part of the plan?
  • Brian Wood’s (DMZ, Northlanders) red-hot run on Conan continues!
  • Art by rising star James Harren (Nation X, B.P.R.D.)!

"Brian Wood is not a writer that pulls punches." -- Comic Book Resources
"James Harren knows how to dig down deep and channel some fear for his monsters." -- ComicsBulletin

Posted Image
--------------------------------------------------
This is the exact opposite of the REH Savage Sword #5 cover. Not a fan. Sorry Dark Horse.

#2 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Whoa.
Conan the 13 year old kid.
With bleached skin.

I'm all for artistic licence, but how the heck did we get to this from anything anywhere in Queen of the Black Coast? :blink:

#3 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Sailing the deep blue sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Everybody here just criticizes.
Before reading Emerald`s comment above, and after seeing the image of # 6, I thought to myself "wow, what a nice cover, very different approach. Mr. Carnevale is keeping his work fresh".
I like the cover and I`m very happy also to see that Dave Stewart is coloring the book since # 1. His colors are the best in the market! I love it.
But Conan`s skin shouldn`t be white, really.

Edited by Aquilonia, 27 February 2012 - 09:55 PM.

#4 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

Aw come on, Aquilonia!
I've seen hundreds of Conan covers and this is the first ever to depict the Cimmerian as a pre-teen with ivory skin.

I am entitled to be surprised.

#5 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Sailing the deep blue sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:37 PM

You are right. The cimmerian looks pre-teen, really. It sucks. I`m with you on that. I just can`t figure out why Carnevale decided to go with this "child" approach.
But I like the colors, and the dinamic of the cover. Plus, we still have Dave Stewart on the book. Can`t wait to see his work on Harren`s pencils.

#6 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:38 PM

I don't think Conan the Waif is Carnevale's creation. I think he is bound to making a Conan which matches the interior art. I'm slowly starting to accept that that's just how it's going to be. That being said, this piece has excellent dimension, detail and sense of movement.

#7 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:50 PM

All I can say is: if Conan's 6' (at the very least), how freakin' huge is his friend there? Looks to be a good eight or nine feet.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#8 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

You guys all have it backwards. The guy with the goatee and the mace is Conan.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#9 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:57 PM

You guys all have it backwards. The guy with the goatee and the mace is Conan.

Geez, he's battling it out with pallid little pixies now?
The thrill level is so high as to be nigh unendurable.

Actually, if the cover featured the barbarian with that goatee I'd have been a lot less surprised.

#10 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:46 AM

Bah. I think it's the cowlick way his hair is flying that reminds me of some 1950s children paintings or something. Also, and this is super nitpicky, the placement of his left nipple looks odd...

Not liking this at all.

#11 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,679 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

...he placement of his left nipple looks odd...

Not liking this at all.

Neither am I. Conan looks terrible...absolutely terrible. And his entire left pectoral looks painfully warped and out of proportion. His opponent, however, looks fantastic. I especially like the angle of the mace - right in our faces. I wish he was Conan, like amster says.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:46 AM

When I first saw that pic, I thought, "Where's Conan?" Then I read Amster's comment, and now I'm waiting to see how and where Conan grew a goatee and got his head shaved.

This is the result of Cloonan poisoning the well. By the time this series is over, Conan will be 5 years old.

Edited by Ironhand, 28 February 2012 - 08:47 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#13 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:25 AM

When I first saw that pic, I thought, "Where's Conan?" Then I read Amster's comment, and now I'm waiting to see how and where Conan grew a goatee and got his head shaved.

This is the result of Cloonan poisoning the well. By the time this series is over, Conan will be 5 years old.

That's what I was eluding to. I'd like to see what Carnevale would have come up with if he wasn't restrained by Cloonan's precedent. He's got the chops to deliver a great Conan cover for sure, but it's Cloonan's vision of Conan that's mucking it up.

#14 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:44 AM

Road of Kings was an ok story with terrible art but great covers... each of them. So far CtB covers are bad along with inside art. DH is back to its bad covers tradition.

#15 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:32 AM

That's what I was eluding to. I'd like to see what Carnevale would have come up with if he wasn't restrained by Cloonan's precedent. He's got the chops to deliver a great Conan cover for sure, but it's Cloonan's vision of Conan that's mucking it up.

I have to say that I agree. After issue #1, I was willing to cut Cloonan some slack, but come on. I mean, come on! :blink:
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#16 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:57 AM

"James Harren knows how to dig down deep and channel some fear for his monsters." -- ComicsBulletin

Hey! That is a quote of me!

ADVANCE REVIEW: B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth: The Long Death #1
http://www.comicsbul...th-long-death-1

#17 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:38 AM

This morning I awoke from a dream in which I was looking at that cover. My first thought on waking was "It was only a dream. What a relief!" But no, it wasn't a dream. It's real. That picture of a 13-year-old (or maybe a well-developed eleven-year-old). He doesn't look old enough to break a bull's neck with his bare hands. Notice that he has even lost the stubble he had in CTB #1. Is this the warrior that Belit fell in love with? "fierce and hard as a gray wolf"? "tiger of the North, cold as the snowy mountains which bred" him? Is Belit some kind of cherry-busting pederast?

In one mad instant she was there--a tense white shape, vibrant with love fierce as a she-panther's. The dazed Cimmerian saw between him and the onrushing death, her lithe figure, shimmering like ivory beneath the moon; he saw the blaze of her dark eyes, the thick cluster of her burnished hair; her bosom heaved, her red lips were parted, she cried out sharp and ringing at the ring of steel as she thrust at the winged monster's breast.

"Mommy!" screamed Conan.

Edited by Ironhand, 29 February 2012 - 08:56 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#18 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

Since Cloonan totally disregarded the precedent of the previous Conan series, I think that Carnivale or anyone else would be totally within their rights to disregard Cloonan's precedent. And I hope they do.

I'll give her chops for her Belit, but her Conan is fodder for the chopping block, or the shredder.

Edited by Ironhand, 29 February 2012 - 08:59 AM.

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

All I can say is: if Conan's 6' (at the very least), how freakin' huge is his friend there? Looks to be a good eight or nine feet.

Maybe he's a frost giant.

#20 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,910 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Guys dont blame the cover artist for what the writer,interior artists are doing.

Carnevale is an awesome cover artist from his Northlander viking covers. This cover looks action filled, awesome if the little ivory skin kid wasnt suppose to be Conan.

So they can write new pastiche stories after Queen of the black coast ? I rather read new stories than bad copies of REH stories....