#1 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

Castle of Terror

This is a de Camp & Carter pastiche that appears in Conan of Cimmeria. It's a simple story. I like it, for two reasons. It feels like a short incident in a person's life, and since most of the Conan stories play like a retelling of a great mythical figure, it fits. Not every story has to be grand and epic with the world in the balance. Some stories can be just about crossing a plain to get to Kush.

On the second level, I like the story for the Cthulhu-esque creature, and the implication (as with so many other Conan stories, both Howard and otherwise) of darker civilizations that have passed since the Hyborian Age. I like the mention of Kull.

I've got a question. I know this tale is not "offical" in many eyes because it's a pastiche, but for those that can put that behind them, what is it Conan refers to about the Cimmerian pantheon?

Growling a wary curse to his barbaric gods, the Cimmerian damned all shadows and echoes to the eleven scarlet hells of his mythology and threw himself down again, striving to slumber.

11 Scarlet Hells?

Do any of you know of any other mention of this in any other Conan story?

#2 set-anubis

set-anubis

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

nop

although ghenna is mentioned a few times