Photo

Do You Know Of A Hard To Find REH Book For Sale?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

This will probably be the shortest least visited topic.

If you go to mycomicshop.com and type in the search field Robert E. Howard there's a book called REH A Short Biography 1999 by Cross Plains selling for only $25. If you sign up for the email newsletter each week is a special code word given that when input gives you 10% discount.

Posted Image

1st printing. Introduction by Roy Thomas. Text by Rusty Burke. This short biography on the man who created one of the most vivid and prominent fantasy characters - Conan the Barbarian. Includes photos and illustrations by a host of top fantasy artists including Boris Vajeo and Barry Windsor-Smith. Softcover, 8 1/2-in. x 11-in., 64 pages, full color. Cover price $14.95.

It's currently available as of yesterday. I had it on my Want List for two years and it just now showed up! :rolleyes:
The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#2 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

I had to get my replacement copy of this from Amazon in 2007 (new for $7.99.) And from what folks are asking for it now, I'm glad I jumped back then!

It's a damn good book, and I wish they'd offered it in hardcover as well.

Tex
(who had Roy Thomas sign his original, and was going to get other REH folks to sign it as well)

#3 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,033 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I had to get my replacement copy of this from Amazon in 2007 (new for $7.99.) And from what folks are asking for it now, I'm glad I jumped back then!

It's a damn good book, and I wish they'd offered it in hardcover as well.

Tex
(who had Roy Thomas sign his original, and was going to get other REH folks to sign it as well)

It IS excellent. A good buddy of mine runs a comic shop in Tulsa (Wizard's Asylum). He held it back and sold it to me for $2 about 10yrs ago. :D

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#4 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

I got a copy on ebay a couple of years ago for $20.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#5 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hmm. Considering what this book's going for nowadays, and since Cross Plains Comics has long since assumed room temperature, maybe the Foundation should consider doing a new version of it. Or maybe convince Dark Horse to republish it.

Tex
(who'd buy the updated one as well)

#6 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hmm. Considering what this book's going for nowadays, and since Cross Plains Comics has long since assumed room temperature, maybe the Foundation should consider doing a new version of it. Or maybe convince Dark Horse to republish it.

The text of this is available online at both the Foundation and REHupa websites; it's also in the back of the Del Rey Solomon Kane book. I don't think we'll be reprinting it any time soon without a major update/revision.

Rob

#7 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

I don't think we'll be reprinting it any time soon without a major update/revision.

Rob

That's what I was hoping for.

Tex
(wouldn't hurt to have one more proper REH biography out there)

#8 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Rob - Thanks, I didn't know it was in the back of Solomon Kane Del Rey. I just re-read it. This covers about 10 pages so there is some added stuff in the book and with the rave reviews I just ordered it. I should be receiving it in about 7-10 days. You guys got it when the getting was good.

Tex - That would be awesome it Roy Thomas and other REH foundation writers and scholars signed it.

Duece - You got a great deal!

Theagenes - That was a good find on Ebay. Online is a great way to locate hard to find books.

The Day of the Stranger - Further memories of REH by Novalyne Price Ellis is one tough book to find. I never could locate one except via the library. I went to the library and did an interdepartmental library loan. Got the book about 3 weeks later.

Posted Image

Charles said, "This is primarily an interview conducted by Rusty Burke with Novalyne Price Ellis, who was Robert E. Howard's girlfriend for several years before his death. There are a lot of insights into Howard and Howard's time in the book, which is a side-stapled and fairly short work."

A conversation with Novalyne Price Ellis by Rusty Burke - compiled and with notes, by Rusty Burke.

47 pages

A few years ago I found a few but one was $150 and the other $100. If you can find this less <than a hundred dollars it's a bargain.

I'd rather read this one from the library and spend the $100 or $150 for the REH Foundation books ^_^ .

Edited by Richard, 08 March 2012 - 11:28 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#9 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

AND another one I'm glad I jumped at while the jumping was good.

I got this one from Amazon at the end of 2008 for $40. Obviously the poor dumb bastard didn't know what he had!

Essential reading, IF you can find it (neither Amazon nor ABE have any listed right now.)

Tex
(who thinks this is another thing the Foundation should get the reprint rights to)