Photo

Is There Any Character You Wish REH Had Written About?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

this is a tough one to explain but i'll try.

Are there any character types you wish REH would have written about but didn't?

For example, would you like to have seen REH try a story about a Zulu warrior uniting warring tribes in southern africa? Or maybe a western style hero in the Australian bush? Or irish celtic sailors in north america?

Or maybe his take on a certain historical event. Say the visigoth sack of Rome? Or the Teutonic knights battling the Lithuanians/poles?

Just curious. Is there anything you'd have liked to have seen him try? character wise, story wise, setting wise, etc.

#2 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

I would like to have seen him write about maybe a George Washington type character during the French and Indian wars...that era really intriques me

#3 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:36 AM

Say the visigoth sack of Rome?

That would rule. I am sure he would put plenty of himself into that. :)

#4 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

kind of surprising he never did. You'd think "barbarians" overcoming "civilization" there would have been right in his wheelhouse.

#5 Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*

Guest_TheMIrrorThief_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

He probably just couldn't get his hands on a book to research the subject or more likely there just weren't enough markets for historical fiction

#6 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:52 AM

kind of surprising he never did. You'd think "barbarians" overcoming "civilization" there would have been right in his wheelhouse.

There was no point in Howard rewriting the real history of the Visigoth sack of Rome, because he took the themes from real history and channeled them into his fiction, particularly the Conan stories. See the thread The Hyborian Age: Ancient or Medieval?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#7 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

There was no point in Howard rewriting the real history of the Visigoth sack of Rome, because he took the themes from real history and channeled them into his fiction, particularly the Conan stories. See the thread The Hyborian Age: Ancient or Medieval?

Anyway, REH rewrote the reasons for the Visigoth sack of home, in his tale Delenda Est. ;) Too bad he only spoke few things - almost nothing - about it, in "Delenda" and The King's Service... :(

#8 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Why rewrite history? He could have written more historical fiction about periods that interest him.

#9 keny from prague

keny from prague

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

Aye, considering that REH himself said nothing brought him more pleasure than writing historical fiction. In the end it was probably the lack of market that limited him and took him into fantasy. well, also writing about fantasy worlds meant you didn't have to do as much research or be sure to get the history "right"

Anyway, as to my original question, are there any other times or places you'd have liked an REH take on?

#10 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

You say that like it's a proven fact. Would you mind proving it on the ancient or medieval thread and state your case.?

#11 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:17 PM

wow such a pleasant response. filled with so much fact, funny how you think my post are as deep as a kiddie pool when i find yours just as shallow <_< ( cuz its all opinion). Oh and grammar is SOOOO important on forums were we are all english teachers and professors ,lol.
instead of trying to make personal attacks on people why not just answer the question?

#12 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

thats fine that you feel the topic reached its point .
but everything else you just babbled is so far off base its laughable.
all you seem to do is TRY to attack people personally ,
if it is not all just opinion please show the fact. well i guess you only read the quick posts not ones were i refer to REH letters or stories as examples, such selective eyes -_-
OH yes (sarcasm) grammar is such a perfect way to gage some ones argument in a forum were we have members who not all have english as there first language
depth of my opinion ?? lol wow thats a good one. neither of us is a REH scholar so YES both out opinions here are EQUAL!!!!
i simple thought you should bring that comment over to the proper thread to discuss
so now i guess we must call you professor Amster -_-

#13 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

MOD WARNING : GET IT BACK ON TRACK. Any more "I said" "You said" "I argue better than you" crap and I'll delete all of it.

You have any idea how much of a damn babysitter I feel like right now?

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#14 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Charles Martel would have been good fodder, I think, for an REH historical or three. Lots of battles and politics.

http://en.wikipedia..../Charles_Martel

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#15 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

I just watched a good documentary on vlad tepesh ( tepish?) the imapler. It had none of that vampire myth in it just historical battles strategies forts , his wifes death, his own demise while fortifying his present location. I think his tales could have made good historical stories in the vein of lion of tiberias and lord of samarcard.

#16 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

Charles Martel would have been good fodder, I think, for an REH historical or three. Lots of battles and politics.

http://en.wikipedia..../Charles_Martel

REH mentioned the Battle of Tours once or twice (in relation to "historical what ifs"). He doesn't seem to have been interested in the Carolingian period that much.

That said, Martel was a bad-a$$ who made history. B)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#17 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Aye, considering that REH himself said nothing brought him more pleasure than writing historical fiction. In the end it was probably the lack of market that limited him and took him into fantasy. well, also writing about fantasy worlds meant you didn't have to do as much research or be sure to get the history "right"

Anyway, as to my original question, are there any other times or places you'd have liked an REH take on?

If it wasnt so marketed controlled i would like to have seen REH write a grim,realistic,bloody Viking Saga. I mean a nautical character series about the reavers. Like that comic series Northlander about different Viking Age protoganist.

#18 kalel21

kalel21

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

A Revolutionary War guerilla fighter for the Americans, such as the Swamp Fox, would have been good fodder for an REH story. I could see him handling such a character in either a straight adventure/war tale or in a horror story with a supernatural element added. ("We'll have to team up with the hated British to defeat the swamp monster!")

Of course, though I'm pretty familiar with REH's work, I will be suitably embarassed if he did write about such a character and I'm just not familar with it.

#19 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:54 PM

I'm a little surprised that he never, as far as I know, wrote any stories taking place during The Great War.
Perhaps it was too modern for his tastes. Maybe he could never see a way to make a character stand out in the midist of trench warfare. Still, I would think that the thought of trying to create a character caught up in the greatest war of human history, at that time, would have been something that Howard would have spent a little time thinking about.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#20 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I'm a little surprised that he never, as far as I know, wrote any stories taking place during The Great War.
Perhaps it was too modern for his tastes. Maybe he could never see a way to make a character stand out in the midist of trench warfare. Still, I would think that the thought of trying to create a character caught up in the greatest war of human history, at that time, would have been something that Howard would have spent a little time thinking about.

Kane

That is a nice suggestion. You are right, an individual could hardly make a difference in the trenches, but how about a character having an unexpected brush with the supernatural, a weird menace amidst the horror of trench warfare?