• PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:05 AM

Who would you cast for Conan in :

1 Sequels to any Conan film
2 A brand new Conan motion picture
3 Conan tv-series

optional:
4 Conan tv-series but for younger audience, heroic Conan (the adventurer)

#2 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

Haven't we seen enough threads on this topic?

#3 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,628 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:54 AM

I think the point is that, despite the "political" reasons why Jason shouldn't play Conan, he is nevertheless the best choice.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#4 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

I think the point is that, despite the "political" reasons why Jason shouldn't play Conan, he is nevertheless the best choice.

I agree I can think of no one better suited to play Conan.

[color=#fafafa !important][/color]Posted Image

#5 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:39 AM

I think Jason did a great job too, but I'm a little surprised not to see Paul Tefler's name up here since he got so much support before the film.

DROC

#6 Malak

Malak

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I've got a question for those who would like to see Jason Momoa playing Conan again. I don't want to start yet another thread, so I'm going to ask it here:

Would you like the film to be part of the same timeline/universe as the first one?

I have my problems with both options:

Option 1: A film that takes place in the same timeline as the first Momoa picture:
We would have to acknowledge everything we saw in CtB (2011) as part of Conan's past... including all those elements that contradict what Howard wrote about Conan's youth or Hyborian history.
Furthermore, the filmmakers would most likely include characters and refer to events from the first movie to make both films fit together...
Of course, the result might still be a good S&S flick, but it would probably not fulfill our hopes for a truly faithful adaptation based solely on REH's writings.

Option 2: A complete "reboot", i.e., a new approach that is hopefully faithful to the source material, but still stars Jason Momoa:
Wouldn't this be confusing for viewers? Wouldn't most of them think that the events from CtB (2011) were part of the official timeline and be confused by, say, the history of Acheron as described in The Hour of the Dragon?
Even if they based the film on stories that don't contradict CtB (2011), wouldn't people watch the new film with false expectations and wonder why no characters / plot points from the first Momoa film were picked up?
This would be a bit like Tobey Maguire starring in the new Spiderman movies. Is there a precedent for this? Of couse, I would prefer this option, but I don't know if it would turn out well with audiences.

And I'm not even taking into account the fact that another film starring Jason Momoa would be treated with suspicion by critics and audiences alike simply because it would be linked with the failure that was CtB (2011).

All in all, I feel that casting someone else (risking that the new actor might not portray Conan quite as well as Momoa) would be the better choice, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

#7 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

With or without Jason, I think it should be like a Bond film and just be its own separate story. Whatever timeline in takes place in is for the viewer to decide. I don't need to know the life story of a character to care about them, so Conan's childhood and past should be kept semi vague, as REH intended.

#8 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:42 AM

The Hulk 2003 and The Incredible Hulk are different one doesn't follow the other...and not to beat a dead horse none 0f the Batman movies flow together seamlessly so yes I think Jason can reprise his role as Conan,I don't think a sequel has to tie in to the events of the first movie.I think if they go with the proposed script based on AWSBB would be great if its handles right.A lot of people even if they hate the movie state that Jason was it's only saving grace.Just for the sequel work on a better score...better props etc...but most importantly a better director and production team.I enjoyed the look of the movie and I believe that with the right hands we would've gotten a better result.I for one like the movie and I know others did as well.I want to see more of Conan on the big screen.No one in Hollywood that I know of comes to mind to replace Jason...I'm not suggesting he cant be replaced but by whom?Paul Tefler or some unknown,someone that's been on Spartacus?No matter who they get I hope they bring the same things to the role that Jason did,in my mind he deserves a second shot.

The casting was fine its the story that needs work..with a good story that is truly adapts R.E.H or at least makes an honest attempt to follow what was written in his stories you can bridge the gap between the hardcore fans and the new alike.I think the new movie can lead new readers to Howard who in turn become fans,more fans to support new movies,graphic novels,video games or whatever.But to do that a new movie whether it's a reboot or a sequel has to find a way of drawing new people in.The 82 version did that and its not totally faithful to R.E.H either,some would say much less so.

So yes bring back Jason...learn from the mistakes of the first attempt and if not replace him with someone that can blow his version out of the water.In my mind Daniel Craig did it with James Bond just like Jason did with Conan.

#9 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

I think Jason did a great job too, but I'm a little surprised not to see Paul Tefler's name up here since he got so much support before the film.

DROC

Exactomundo. He was rejected by the director, but maybe it's the director would should have been rejected. ;)

#10 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hahaha! Good one Kortoso. A lot of it is up to director but taking the material and the whole thing so lame in the first place is a blasphemy for any movie, story, character... you name it.

I would like to see some decent take on it while it's still hot... well... warm in a way. If Hulk could get another take in five years maybe could Conan too? Get a good director and the rest of the crew to top the level and even posibly rise the bar and you can make a hit or at least a good movie. it's not Conan or Howard or comic books the problem or they are doomed or something. It's the "I don't give a rat's shit" approach that crap things up.

Edited by Munthasem, 19 March 2012 - 08:43 PM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#11 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:04 AM

DROC

Exactomundo. He was rejected by the director, but maybe it's the director would should have been rejected. ;)

LOL I don't know if Paul Tefler would have done a better job than Momoa. I certainly thought he looked more the part than Jason before the film, but Jason kind of grew into the role. He clearly trained hard and studied Conan before the film.

Tefler also looked goodin the fight scenes in NCIS, and I don't particularly like the fight choreographer who make Ziva (the Israeli chick, is that how you spell her name?) look like a ballet dancer with an attitude. Not so much in Hercules but I don't think that was his fault either, it seemed to be a fairly low budget low effect production.

I say, get all of the potential actors in a room, Taylor Kitsch, Tefler, Momoa and anyone else who wants a go, and have them fight it out :P

DROC

#12 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Or better yet let them fight angry Conan fans and the one who survives can give it a shot.

The second try could be a main actress and a horny Conan fans. Hm... Sounds like some kinky Snow white version. Now only drag Tim Burton to direct our efforts and you can get two hits instead of just one. How about that for curing the fear of another flop and losing money? :lol:
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#13 Anastasia

Anastasia

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

What about Jason Statham, Joe Manganiello, Christian Bale or Dwayne Johnston as Conan?

Directed by Ridley Scott....of course!

#14 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

What about Jason Statham, Joe Manganiello, Christian Bale or Dwayne Johnston as Conan?

The others are pretty debatable, but Jason Statham is way too short and his voice would be terrible for Conan.

#15 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

Bale and Statham are too short, and too old imo. I don't see the attraction of The Rock as Conan at all, though the idea seems to have seduced quite a few people.

Joe Manganiello looks the part, I've never seen anything he's been in though so I can't say anymore than that.

Why Ridley Scott?

DROC

#16 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think it's safe to say Ridley is one of the best directors of our time and he proved he can make a magnificent movies out of any kind of stories. He knows his stuff and he have a top notch crew around.

As far as some other actors concerns, hm... I saw the Scorpion king a few days ago again and seriously I think the Rock could make it.
Yes he is of different race and too soft faced and all but try to imagine him if he cut up to draw sharper lines, six pack, striated, wiry gaunt giant, tanned and burned a bit from the sun and with square cut black mane. If he do a good job in cutting his cheeks would most deffinitely sink in a bit giving him a meaner look than that soft, round tropicana boy face. I believe he could do it.

The thing is that people fearing Conan could look rediculous with the Ronnie Coleman's size, goes to the other side of the spectrum thinking that beach boy look will break the curse of the big dumb barbarian. The acting and the screen presence, directing and dialogue will do that. Now, Momoa looks good and he portrayed that savage segment better than Arnold who lacking in this ferrocity tried to do it (actually Millius lead him that way) differently, slowing down the story making it more big heavy saga than an acrobatic powered action flick.

But Momoa don't stand out as a powerhouse and that is one of his lacks. On the other side, all of the characters in that new movie were just scratched at the surface, no depth, no nothing except growling and trying to look mean. Conan is more than just macho savage with a good fighting skills. To get back to the Rock a bit, a lot of it can be made with the proper make up and the hair stylist, costumers and so on.
My first choice I will not see as Conan as I've said many times would be Michael Bailey Smith. Not because I have some mancrush for the guy but he have the powerfull built and as far as I think,very interesting face, but he also have that something that when you see him you instantly know you'r not supposed to piss that guy off or stare at him too long or something, but you should know it without him trying to project it onto you.

He have that sinister yet shadowed look of a guy who went through many hardships in life and his looks and presence as well as capabilities gives you the feel that they are well earned instead of the result of in the words of Enter the dragon Jim Kelly's character, being too busy looking good.

Edited by Munthasem, 21 March 2012 - 11:54 AM.

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#17 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:25 PM

I agree that Michael Bailey Smith has the build and an interesting face, but he's 55 years old. It would have to be one of the later stories, maybe when Conan is already king.

DROC

#18 Anastasia

Anastasia

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Chris Hemsworth, very Conanesque!!!

http://collider.com/...rth-600x398.jpg

Just love Ridley Scott's gritty direction of Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood etc... that style would suit any new Conan movie IMO .

#19 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:50 PM

I think Dwayne Johnson could pull off Conan pretty good, especially if he ripped himself down 15-25 lbs or so. He looked pretty mean in Fast Five.

#20 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:14 PM

i did like JM as conan , from the first picts we saw of him all dressed up like conan i thought he looked good, the only thing that bugged me was his always gelled wet hair.
but if they reboot and recast the part i would like for who ever directs it to "get it" this time and show us REH,s conan not his own vision of what it should be.
as for an actor i would like it if the started the search over, from the extras on the dvd they say they looked all over but the countries he names are not that many and just didn't fit for where you would go to look for a "conan"
weather you think the Roc is a good choice or not i don't think it should or will happened, to many i think would compare it to him being the scorpion king again. IMO he looks to "pretty" no matter what they do to him, and the way he talks sounds to "civilized".