31 replies to this topic

#1 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:07 PM

my sincere apologies if something similar has been posted here before, i have not gone through all the pages, also been away from here for some time.

anyway, i like cooking, making homebrew wine and beer as well as comic strip writing (will post up some of my stuff sometime) what floats your boat?

#2 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

I spend far more time and money than is healthy travelling up and down the country watching football. Wimbledon if anyone is interested. Bristol Rovers away yesterday, it rained non stop and everyone got soaked but we did manage to try six new pubs so it wasn't all bad.

Me and the missus also travel a lot to see historical sites; we recently went to Chedworth Roman Villa.
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#3 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:18 AM

I spend far more time and money than is healthy travelling up and down the country watching football. Wimbledon if anyone is interested. Bristol Rovers away yesterday, it rained non stop and everyone got soaked but we did manage to try six new pubs so it wasn't all bad.

Me and the missus also travel a lot to see historical sites; we recently went to Chedworth Roman Villa.

Nice.. IT's a pity so many traditional pubs are shutting down in the UK, something of a scandal in fact.

Strange how all the binge centers in major UK towns such as the Wetherspoon's are all thriving.(friday, saturday crowd.)

I am also looking forward to getting out in the garden soon.

#4 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

I 'm gonna take a wild guess and say that we all like to read.And watch movies too, lol.
I will be starting up my garden again soon enough as well. something fun to do and i like to get my daughters involved with the planting once I turn the soil
. Gonna get out and do some fishing soon as well.got a nice cage for crabbing for christmas last year and I want to take the kids and do that as well.I enjoy working out and running and such,but I dont really consider exercise a hobby so much as a lifestyle thing.I enjoy tennis, too and hope to get some games in with a friend rotwo now that spring is here. Strictly for fun,exercise and recreation, not competitively though.But I have to admit I've been a damn lazy bear in a mild winter this year, something I'm not proud of .I am ready and itchin to go.
I used to , in my late teens and early to mid twenties be in and out of bands as a bassist too. Played in alot of bars and clubs , it was fun.Some guitar too , not as well as bass, but compentent enough to write and record ideas. i would love at some point to reexplore that .Martial arts mma, another thing before I start getting old , is something else i dont have time for but would love to get back into,this specifcally muay thai jiujitsu or judo.As many of us know, being a parent and working full time doesnt always allow us to get around to all the things we used to do but if the kids show an interest i try to get them involved in one way or another.My oldest daughter loves to read . She is 6 years old and has been reading since she was three. She is on a third grade reading level and shes in kindergarten.
My wife loves to cook and I'm not just bragging but she is very good at it too. I dabble myself and she gets the girls involved too.Kids are great they can be like sponges when it comes to this stuff.

Edited by mario, 19 March 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#5 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

I enjoy drawing and painting, watching movies, power lifting at the gym, reading books and comic books, role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder, computer games, caring for my little parrot and my big cat...

One thing I don't like to do is cook, but my wife is great at it, so I'm happy. ;)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#6 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

Playing music in my band The Anvil Blasters. Blogging at www.frontierpartisans.com. Martial arts (Nick Cerio's Kenpo, for the past 2 years or so). Shooting. Woodsrunning. Mixing any or all of teh last three with kettlebell workouts.

#7 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:20 PM

I enjoy drawing and painting, watching movies, power lifting at the gym, reading books and comic books, role-playing games like Dungeons & Dragons/Pathfinder, computer games, caring for my little parrot and my big cat...

One thing I don't like to do is cook, but my wife is great at it, so I'm happy. ;)

oh cooking's great (maybe 'cos I'm single. lol) now it's summer it's fun to get out into the garden and grow the ingredients, i'm now growing some chilli's, butternut, various tomatoe types, kos lettuce etc.
I do have a set of weights, but don't use them so much, and I think personally that gym fee memberships are a bit of a money waster( i used to do it, but found i often just ended up not going, sitting in front of the tv, or going to the pub instead.), excercise taken out in the fresh air I think is of more benefit to a person.

I used to like going out to the pub, but it is just getting extremely expensive here in the UK now, average of nearly £4 for a pint of beer now in most places (that is around $7.50)

#8 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

oh cooking's great (maybe 'cos I'm single. lol) now it's summer it's fun to get out into the garden and grow the ingredients, i'm now growing some chilli's, butternut, various tomatoe types, kos lettuce etc.
I do have a set of weights, but don't use them so much, and I think personally that gym fee memberships are a bit of a money waster( i used to do it, but found i often just ended up not going, sitting in front of the tv, or going to the pub instead.), excercise taken out in the fresh air I think is of more benefit to a person.

Yeah, if you don't have the motivation, it would certainly be a money waster. I go four days a week, so it's worthwhile to me. Got to relieve that stress somehow, otherwise I'd be taking it out on some poor fool on the street hehe.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#9 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I guess it's a given I like books and films.
I've become a bit of a comicon geek in the last year. Myself and the missus went to our first few last year and met Sandahl Bergman, Christopher Lloyd, John Hurt and Christopher Lambert. We went dressed as Solomon Kane and Hitgirl. Good fun!
It has become our new hobby and we've really gotten into the whole "cosplay" thing, designing and making our own outfits this year.
I met Simon Bisley at the most recent comicon, I'm sure some of the members here know the name. He is one of my favourite comic artists. Most famous for Slaine (my avatar) the ABC Warriors, Judge Dredd and Lobo. He's also done Conan, Batman, Aliens,Terminator and a plethora of other characters.
I have a small collection of display weapons; two no-dachi's, two katana's three wakizashis two ninjato's, two naginatas, a couple of flintlocks a rapier and dagger (Kane accessories).
I'm a bit of a gamer too. My main favourites the Hitman, Assassin's Creed, Total War and Mass Effect franchises.
Yes, my inner geek has taken over my life. :rolleyes:

#10 Brule80

Brule80

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Well I've unfurled my plastic-tent greenhouse. already got the seedlings set to go, bought some 'grow-bags'.
see if I can beat last years tomato crop which was great.

Also gonna brew my self up some nice batches of Czech Plsen lager, and IPA Ale.
Got to love the summertime.

#11 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:24 PM

Actually, Brule, my lady and I just tore down my greenhouse, because it's been so warm at night here.

Bought an extra 1/4 ton of black granite stones for edging around my front lawn. Probably need to pick up a couple of shovels on the way home. I was going to hire a contractor for this, but the hardscaping and the planting I can do myself. Later I will bring in someone to do the irrigation.

#12 Alnilam

Alnilam

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

I like to go camping and hiking. I also like to hunt and go gold prospecting when I can. Pretty much anything that involves the outdoors.
I also enjoy building model trains.

#13 knifemaker

knifemaker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

I like knifemaking. It start out as kit knives. Then I wanted to make my own blades. Then I wanted to forge them. Now I'm trying to smelt dirt into steel and go from there. I started out with a file and hacksaw. Now I'm looking at moving into an industrial space because I can't fit my hobby in the workshop anymore.

I went to a hammer in in Visalia CA to learn how to smelt dirt into steel.

Posted Image

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

I like knifemaking. It start out as kit knives. Then I wanted to make my own blades. Then I wanted to forge them. Now I'm trying to smelt dirt into steel and go from there. I started out with a file and hacksaw. Now I'm looking at moving into an industrial space because I can't fit my hobby in the workshop anymore.

Do you have to select the right kind of dirt? Is that difficult?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#15 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:35 AM

Also gonna brew my self up some nice batches of Czech Plsen lager, and IPA Ale. Got to love the summertime.

Ooh, sounds nice :)
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#16 knifemaker

knifemaker

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

Do you have to select the right kind of dirt? Is that difficult?

Yeah you do. Usually black magnetic sand. For this class we were using iron ore, due to time. If I can ever get enough time there is a guy down in Arizona who teaches how to go and find the right rocks, sand, etc. Then how to smelt it and make a knife out of it.

http://www.rybarkniv...lassespage.html

#17 Warduke

Warduke

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

Lifting weights is one of my big hobbies and passion. Have a membership to 24hr fitness which works with my schedule since I have oddball hours at work. I also have my own home gym with squat stands, bench, power rack olympic bars and 600#'s worth of plates.

Other then that I like grilling and cant wait to test out my new smoker I just picked up the other day. And also I like reading video games.
Posted ImageCivilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."

Posted Image

#18 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

Planning to attend the Milton Keynes Comicon in June. Turns out Jason Momoa will be there signing autographs and doing a photo session with fans.

http://www.collector...d=148&Itemid=10

#19 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:46 PM

So, dirt is the riddle of steel, huh? :o
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#20 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:00 AM

Watching movies and reading is a given. although I do love reading not only Sword & Sorcery but adction pulp as well.
So much that I have spent waaaay too much money on collecting Doc Savage and The Spider.
Along with that I do play, and run, role playing games. Usually S&S and Pulp settings. Although space opera style sci-fi also appeals to me.
I do love to cook, and do most of the cooking on a daily basis. And grilling is the best.
Another area I'vwe spent too much money on is Warhammer 40,000. Currently I have a Space Wolves, Dark Eldar, and Berserkers of Khorne armies on my shelves.
When time allows I like to walk through the park near my house, go on weekend road trips with the wife, and get to any gaming/sci-fi conventions in the area.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"