• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Calgaich the Swordsman: The Motion Picture.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#22 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:28 AM

Hey Amster, is the book any good? I am looking to track down a copy to add to my Celts vs Romans collection of pulp adventure.

#23 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

1066: The Movie
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#24 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:13 AM

Conan 3 and JCM 2.

Which Conan movie do you consider so bad it doesn't count? ;)

Conan the Dumbass.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#25 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Hey Amster, is the book any good? I am looking to track down a copy to add to my Celts vs Romans collection of pulp adventure.

It's a good read, very violent with very explicit sex scenes. You can get a used copy through Amazon for less than a buck (not counting shipping).
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#26 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 02:38 PM

Well, I think I have a little online shopping to do. Looking to nab some Imaro and Oron as well; thanks for the reply Amster!

#27 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

It's a good read, very violent with very explicit sex scenes. You can get a used copy through Amazon for less than a buck (not counting shipping).

It's a great book and would easily adapt into a badass movie. Shirreffs also wrote a trilogy of mountian man novels that are really good, despite being given ridiculous covers.

#28 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

The name was mentioned above. I think that a well done Imaro film would be worth watching.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#29 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

A Dragonlance Chronicles, live action movie!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#30 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Tom Mix & Pancho Villa. Tony Scott actually had this in development and described it as Lawrence of Arabia meets The Wild Buc nh, which is pretty much my definition of a perfect movie. Looks like the Serbian director Emir Kusturica is doing his Pancho Villa movie. No idea how that'll turn out.

#31 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

Interestingly, Blake Edwards' movie "Sunset" is about a similar pairing: Tom Mix (a young Bruce Willis) and Wyatt Earp (James Garner) meet during the last days of silent film when Earp lived in Los Angeles and acted as a technical advisor on western films. It is a meditation on how nothing is real. When Mix admits that much of his reputation as an adventurer was dreamed up by studio publicity, Earp tells him not to worry, his own was made by the dime novels of the previous century. Mix was a pallbearer at Earp's funeral.

#32 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:22 PM

Interestingly, Blake Edwards' movie "Sunset" is about a similar pairing: Tom Mix (a young Bruce Willis) and Wyatt Earp (James Garner) meet during the last days of silent film when Earp lived in Los Angeles and acted as a technical advisor on western films. It is a meditation on how nothing is real. When Mix admits that much of his reputation as an adventurer was dreamed up by studio publicity, Earp tells him not to worry, his own was made by the dime novels of the previous century. Mix was a pallbearer at Earp's funeral.

I remember that movie. Thought it was pretty good. The Real West/Hollywood West intersection of that era is fscinating to me. I also enjoyed the book "South of the Border" by John Byrne Cooke, which depicts a movie company going to Mexico in 1919 and running afoul of Pancho Villa. It's narrated first person by cowboy detective Charlie Siringo and features a gentleman who just may be Butch Cassidy. Delightful tale, well-told.

#33 MaxTheSilent

MaxTheSilent

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:45 AM

Also, I would love to see a big budget film version of Ice Station, written by Matt Reilly. The book is written in a non-stop action/cinematic style, and would translate very well to the big screen. I love every book he has written; they are wild, over-the-top, impossible, cheesy fun!

That'd be amazing. I'd love to see a six hour version of that with a budget of about $400 million.

You'd have to have it all; the monumental hovercraft chase, the whale attack, the many, many gunfights.

In fact, I'd throw Reilly's TEMPLE into the mix. For grand-scale blockbuster action set-pieces no-one can touch him.

#34 Kahn

Kahn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

It's funny how my perspective has changed over the years. There was a time when I would be super-stoked to hear about a game or comic hero being brought to life in a film adaptation.
However after Judge Stallone, Conan, Red Sonya, Transformers, Prince of Persia, Batman, Fantastic Four and a plethora of godawful adaptations I now tend to find myself whispering "I hope they never make a film about.. [insert childhood hero]."
There have been a few exceptions, but when I hear about Assassins Creed and Mass Effect being given the "Hollywood Blockbuster Treatment" I'd rather they be given a Viking funeral.
For example there was a rumour a while back of a film being made about Hannibal Barca who is one of my all time favourite historical figures. Then I heard it was going to be directed by and starring Vin Diesel and called "Hannibal the Conqueror"
It hasn't materialised yet and I hope it never does.

Edited by Kahn, 28 March 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#35 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Re Max the silent; Yes! Temple was an excellent thrill ride as well.

I am surprised none of these books have made it to the big screen yet, they seem pitch-perfect for Micheal Bay.

Also, Hunter, by James Byron Huggins, would rock the screen. One of my all time favorite monster vs hunting team epics.

Edited by thedarkman, 28 March 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#36 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I'd like to see a Lone Wolf and Cub reboot, but only if it's made in Japan, because an American studio would just **** it up.

Guess what? From the people who brought you Blade Runner...and Fast Five?

#37 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

I'd like to see a Lone Wolf and Cub reboot, but only if it's made in Japan, because an American studio would just **** it up.

Guess what? From the people who brought you Blade Runner...and Fast Five?

I think that scene from Downfall with a new set of subtitles is in order. <_<
Posted Image

#38 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

I'd like to see "The book of lost things" by John Connelly made into a movie, hands down one of the best books ever, under the radar!
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#39 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

The Religion — Tim Willocks' brilliant historical novel of the Great Siege of Malta. And it looks like that's gonna happen.

Italian drama producer De Angelis Group is hoping to turn its forthcoming period drama The Religion: The Great Siege of Malta into a trilogy.

The 6x50′ miniseries is based on the book The Religion by Tim Willocks, in which a love story is set against the backdrop of the war between Turkish sultan Suleiman the Magnificent and Malta’s Christian Knights of St John in 1565.

C21 understands that De Angelis has optioned two planned sequels and aims to turn them into a television franchise.

Simon Burke is writing the first instalment, which is coproduced by De Angelis and Artists Studio in the UK. Guido and Nicola de Angelis are exec producing alongside Artists Studio’s Gub Neal and Justin Thomson-Glover.

Italian broadcaster Rai is cofinancing the miniseries, while producers are also looking for a Canadian coproduction partner. Talks are underway with networks in the UK, Canada, France, Germany and Spain.

The show is due for delivery in winter 2013. The second book in the series, Twelve Children of Paris, is due to be published this year.

I'm stoked — more for the long-overdue Twelve Children than anything...

#40 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,067 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

The Religion — Tim Willocks' brilliant historical novel of the Great Siege of Malta. And it looks like that's gonna happen.

Italian drama producer De Angelis Group is hoping to turn its forthcoming period drama The Religion: The Great Siege of Malta into a trilogy.

The 6x50′ miniseries is based on the book The Religion by Tim Willocks, in which a love story is set against the backdrop of the war between Turkish sultan Suleiman the Magnificent and Malta’s Christian Knights of St John in 1565.

C21 understands that De Angelis has optioned two planned sequels and aims to turn them into a television franchise.

Simon Burke is writing the first instalment, which is coproduced by De Angelis and Artists Studio in the UK. Guido and Nicola de Angelis are exec producing alongside Artists Studio’s Gub Neal and Justin Thomson-Glover.

Italian broadcaster Rai is cofinancing the miniseries, while producers are also looking for a Canadian coproduction partner. Talks are underway with networks in the UK, Canada, France, Germany and Spain.

The show is due for delivery in winter 2013. The second book in the series, Twelve Children of Paris, is due to be published this year.

I'm stoked — more for the long-overdue Twelve Children than anything...

LIKE!

Interesting to see Tannhauser in the flesh...

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog