228 replies to this topic

#21 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:44 AM

The original 1981 Clash of the Titans. This time I came to the realization that it's really two movies, with the second one being somewhat better than the first. Hmmm.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#22 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:02 AM

The Company of Wolves, which, for those who haven't seen it, is a nightmarish re-imagining of the Little Red Riding Hood fairy tale (based on a story by Angela Carter), and Eyes Without a Face... one of the creepiest movies ever.
Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#23 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 05 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

I watched 45 minutes of Immortals before I turned it off and stuck it back into the Netflix envelope. Worst fantasy movie ever.

Edited by amster, 05 April 2012 - 11:46 AM.

Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#24 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:20 AM

lol, I was looking forward to Immortals dam.

I watched Pumping Iron on you tube, excellent nostalgia RULEZ! ;)
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#25 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:25 AM

anyone see anything on the cabin in the woods movie? from the commercial i just watched, it looks like a direct remake/ripoff of the evil dead,straight down to certain shots ( like the basement hatch swinging open) I couldnt believe it....

#26 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

YEah, they should just have said remake of Evil Dead? No where near as good as the Bruce Campbel excellence though.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#27 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

lol and you know the funny thing is, raimi has been talking about doing an evil dead remake for some time too, Im kinda glad ash is fairly well known enough that if a remake actually comes out, it wont be called a rip off of a cabin in the woods! well i hope so anywaylol.

#28 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

lol, you never know! Audience have no history when it comes to class. ;)

#29 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Uh, no. The Cabin in the Woods is, from what I hear, a very, very different take on the old horror cliche. It's written by Joss Whedon, for crying out loud. It's not a ripoff of anything.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#30 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

I'm on a pre-Avengers kick. This past weekend I watches Iron Man 1 and 2.
This upcoming weekend I'll be watching The Hulk.
The Captain America, followed by Thor.
By the time May 4th rolls around I'll be up to speed on the characters again and ready to see them all on the screen.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#31 emerald

emerald

The Olde Prospector

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:39 PM

I watched 45 minutes of Immortals before I turned it off and stuck it back into the Netflix envelope. Worst fantasy movie ever.

Heh.
Worse than Tales of an Ancient Empire?

#32 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Heh.
Worse than Tales of an Ancient Empire?

hehe. Immortals may be the worst fantasy movie ever (ok, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic), but like Hercules (Lou Ferrigno) or Yor the Hunter of the Future, it is an actual movie. Tales of an Ancient Empire doesn't even qualify as that, except in the sense that it contains a few moving photographs..
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.

#33 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:29 PM

Ive been watching alot of older movies lately...mostly George Romero stuff...Creepshow, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead etc...
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#34 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

I love the first Creepshow. One of the best horror anthology movies ever made.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#35 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:12 AM

I just watched sword and the sorcerer last night for the first time via netflix. not bad(not that good though either,lol) a bit dull in the middle but some good cheesy late 70's early 80's fun.That sword was the most ridiculous thing though.... I finally watched Nispels pathfinder from start to finish and was pleasantly surprised it was not as bad as I thought. i had only seen a few scenes in the past, and didnt care for it then. I like it more than conan actually ( which I enjoyed too).
fast five tops the list this week though, its the first in the series I liked as much as the first. Havent seen the fourth one but didnt care for 2 & 3.
Captain America is next on my netflix list.
Creepshow was a good flick.there was one of the newer romero zombie flicks out of the three or so he did I liked I think it was survival. It sort of harkened back to the feel of the older flicks. Land was okay, diary though was a major letdown to me.

#36 doomflower

doomflower

Unconventional Conventionist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

I watched a few episodes of The Storyteller today, including 'The Soldier and Death' and 'Sapsorrow'. Took me back to my childhood :) John Hurt is marvellous as the storyteller.

I also watched Suspiria again recently. Love Dario Argento's early films. Goblin did a great job with the soundtrack. Highly recommend.
Fan my Facebook page, sweeties!~ Synthetic Soul

#37 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

We sat down to Insidious last night. I enjoyed it, even if none of the others did :)
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#38 amster

amster

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:53 PM

I just finished watching Hammer's Captain Kronos: Vampire Hunter on Netflix. Solomon Kane fans should appreciate it's mix of swashbuckling action and supernatural horror. In fact, I don't know whether the makers of this film read REH or not, but in many ways it's more like Howard's creation than the Michael Basset film. Like Kane, Kronos is a veteren of past wars who has devoted his life to hunting down and destroying evil. Unlike Kane, he's not a chaste Puritan, so he gets laid in the film. On the other hand, the filmakers didn't give Kronos a bogus origin story in which he's repenting for past sins, so the mere fact that his past is partly a mystery makes him more like Kane IMO I can't help but notice that before "origin story fever" gripped the film industry, filmakers were perfectly comfortable with throwing viewers directly into the middle of the action and trusting that they were smart enough to catch up.

Like most Hammer films, it has great atmosphere, good production values, and it's beautifully shot. The level of acting is generally on par with other Hammer films: not Oscar worthy material, but generally better than similar films made by other studios. It's not heavy on action, but it leads to a very satisfying climax with a really furious and brutal sword fight. I also have to give a shout out to B-Movie goddess Caroline Munroe. While not a great actress by any stretch of the imagination, she's so insanely beautiful that she makes up for it with her mere presence on screen. I could watch her read a phone book and be entertained.
Posted Image

#39 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

I can't help but notice that before "origin story fever" gripped the film industry, filmakers were perfectly comfortable with throwing viewers directly into the middle of the action and trusting that they were smart enough to catch up.

Take Raiders of the Lost Ark for example. It starts right in the middle of the action in the jungle and you don't know anything about Indiana Jones at all. All you get in the whole movie is hints of his past — and it's all you need.

#40 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,971 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:14 AM

Amen.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject