#1 Alien

Alien

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:10 AM

Any movies new or old.

Recently would be John Carter, A Separation and the last one The Hunger Games. Would have liked to have seen John Carter after I read the books it's based on but didn't know that until shortly before I saw it. I thought The Hunger Games was a good adaptation of the book it's based on which I did read just had two differences that I could tell. Also it employed a shaky cam technique which bugged me in the beginning but didn't notice it later in the movie. A Separation is a foreign Iranian film that won the Oscar award for best foreign film deservedly so great film.

#2 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Last month on one of the stars channels I caught rapa nui for the first time, and man, i had wished I had the sense to see it in the theatres when it came out. Is this available on bluray? to me it's every bit as good as apocalypto.
I havent seen john carter yet, hope to get there this weekend.
I saw a movie on cable recently called neal cassady, about cassadys later years with ken kesey and his coping with the fame kerouacs novel brought him ,and his death. i cannot vouch for accuracy on it, as the cassady family claims at the least the scenes with his family are highly inaccurate, but the casting is superb as these people look like their counterparts and it everything I've read about the meeting between kesey cassady and kerouac at a party (again,seems as correct as I remember reading anywaylol.)
( kerouac was fairly disgusted by the sixties hippie and beatnik movements and even more dismayed by the idea that his writings may have inspired it. it may have even caused him to drink more. he died I think not long after cassady)and it is for a short movie very well acted.Makes me want to see the on the road movie even more now
Also recently watched for the first time the old movie lost horizon, which is based on one of my favorite books. Parts of it I like but it I really didnt care too much for it.
I loved where the wild things are, reminded me of childhood.
The last time my brother came by he brought one of the the harry potter movies for my daughters to watch. I really tried watching it( whichever one it was) but they really didnt grab my attention too much.I just dvr'ed of mice and men,(though Ive seen it before the gary sinise version, great movie and a great book.

Edited by mario, 29 March 2012 - 11:00 AM.

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

Besides John Carter, Hercules vs. The Mongols. Surprisingly good sets and costumes, though they never explain how Hercules managed to travel 2500 years in the future. All and all, one of the better 60s sword and sandal flicks that I've seen.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:44 PM

The Hunger Games. My 12-year-old daughter is obsessed with the books and the movie and reviewed it in a guest blog piece at www.frontierpartisans.com.

I was pretty impressed, particularly with Jennifer Lawrence, who is also very good in Winter's Bone. Agree that the shaky cam stuff at the beginning of HG was annoying — obviously designed to instill a sense of disorientation, discomfort and dystopia. It succeeded but was also almost headache inducing. After the Tributes are chosen, that's pretty much dispensed with.

Overall: Well worth seeing.

#5 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

Went and saw The Hunger Games with the wife last weekend. While I enjoyed it, there could have been some directorial changes that could have made in it better. Imo.
Before that I took the nephew to see John Carter. His first experience with the character. Because of that he's bought the first three books and loved them. Btw, it was the third time I've seen the movie.
On DVD I've watched Fire & Ice, Sin City, and, The Spirit.
That covers all my movie watching for the past two weeks.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#6 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:15 AM

I saw John Carter, 4 times.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#7 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

The Thing, 1982 version. Picked this up in blu-ray for 10 bucks. One of my all time favorites. Watching it in HD, I seen many little details I had missed before, and I have watched this movie several times on VHS. A real treat.

#8 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:20 PM

Finally watched, The Prestige. I really enjoyed it, especially David Bowie's small role as Tesla.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#9 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Pixar's Up.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#10 witchfire

witchfire

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

just got back from "wrath of the titans"

it's got more action then "clash"

Ares is badass has he should be
"today the blood of battle upon my weapons will never dry
many i'll send into the ground, laughing as they die"

#11 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:32 AM

The Italian, a deeply moving film about orphans in rural Russia. I recommend it to anyone, really. Just fantastic.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#12 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Green Lantern. Ugh. Not horrible but in no way did it make me say "Wow!".

Too big a story, too much time spent on the setup before we ever meet Hal Jordan - and not a very interesting version of Hal Jordan, to me.

They should have gone with John Stewart. Oh, I know he's a bit too old, but could you imagine Samuel L. Jackson reciting the "In brightest day..." oath? :lol:

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#13 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

Last night watched Chaplin's 'City Lights' witha pops version of the Cleveland Orchestra playing the score.

Next week hope to see Robert Bresson's 'A Man Escaped'.

#14 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Two of my sisters are big fan of Hunger Games and one of them paid for my ticket to see the film. I was only waiting to read the book since im SF book fan.

I didnt regret it. It was pretty enjoyable and darker,more mature than usual YA SF or Fantasy book/film series that have been popular in recent years.
The flaw was that the ending was rushed and they didnt portray Peeta and Katniss relationship so clearly by the end.

Jennifer Lawrence carried more than half of the film and she made you care,believe in Katniss.

#15 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Two of my sisters are big fan of Hunger Games and one of them paid for my ticket to see the film. I was only waiting to read the book since im SF book fan.

I didnt regret it. It was pretty enjoyable and darker,more mature than usual YA SF or Fantasy book/film series that have been popular in recent years.
The flaw was that the ending was rushed and they didnt portray Peeta and Katniss relationship so clearly by the end.

Jennifer Lawrence carried more than half of the film and she made you care,believe in Katniss.

My 12-year-old expert tells me that the reason the relationship wasn't clear is that Katniss herself isn't sure whether she really fell for Peeta or if it was a matter of circumstance. Not insincere, just uncertain of true feelings. So there ya go...

Agree on Jennifer Lawrence. She's pretty amazing. Her performance in Winter's Bone is remarkable and well-deserved the Oscar nomination.

#16 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:26 AM

gonna dvr this trollhunter movie, gonna check it out once im off work. looks interesting...

#17 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

I went to see Wrath of the Titans. Liked it better than Clash. More imaginative Special FX, and better characterizations.

At 5:30 pm on Tuesday, 2 people in the theater.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#18 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I tend to rely on Lovefilm to see everything now. I have finally given up on going to the cinema as it's such an unpleasant experience trying to watch a film with dozens of other people who seem incapable of shutting up.

Monday I watched '30 Days Of Night'. As vampire films go, I thought it was really good. Melissa George is still as lovely as ever too.
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#19 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

My 12-year-old expert tells me that the reason the relationship wasn't clear is that Katniss herself isn't sure whether she really fell for Peeta or if it was a matter of circumstance. Not insincere, just uncertain of true feelings. So there ya go...

Agree on Jennifer Lawrence. She's pretty amazing. Her performance in Winter's Bone is remarkable and well-deserved the Oscar nomination.

My sisters told me the same thing and that the book showed better how she wasnt sure of her feelings about Peeta. The weakest part of the film was they didnt show her being unsure about her feelings. It was just messy and rushed their relationship because it was late in the film.

I dont really care since i have the book and just hope the book isnt weakly written. I expect from from the book because i need a female literary heroine in SF YA or not.

#20 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Went and saw "Mirror Mirrow" over the past weekend. Much better then I expected and an excellent fenceing scene.
For a light comedy it had some great moments and good dialogue.
Of course the dwarves steal the movie.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"