20 replies to this topic

#1 Fierro

Fierro

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:15 AM

Fantasy is now legit, apparently. Thank George RR Martin and HBO.

http://geekout.blogs...ns/?hpt=hp_bn13

#2 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Fantasy is now legit, apparently. Thank George RR Martin and HBO.

http://geekout.blogs...ns/?hpt=hp_bn13

But New York Times bestselling fantasy author Brandon Sanderson warns that not just any fantasy adaptation will do. Diehard fans can smell a slapped together adaptation a mile away.
They've seen too many bad fantasy films to shell out their cash just because there’s a dragon on the movie poster, he said. “Bad fantasy movies are going to do just as poorly as bad movies of any genre. If it’s a great film it will do well, if it’s not it won’t.”

How true.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#3 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

I never really cared if the mainstream got it or not, in fact I think I actually revelled in my minority status, but then again I was a longhaired dice rolling weirdo until baldness took over. I’m more a horror fan these days.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#4 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:50 PM

“Bad fantasy movies are going to do just as poorly as bad movies of any genre. If it’s a great film it will do well, if it’s not it won’t.”

Nope, otherwise Blade Runner would've been a bigger hit than The Sword and the Sorcerer, and Moon would gross more than Transformers.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#5 Taran

Taran

the Assistant Pig-keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:28 AM

Argh, this article frustrates me greatly. The geek stereotype for fantasy readers was never true, not even twenty-five years ago. and something becoming "mainstream" doesn't legitimize it in any way

There's been a lot of these articles lately proclaiming that Peter Jackson and George R.R. Martin have made fantasy palatable for adults. What a silly notion.
"It has fallen upon me, now and again in my sojourns through the world, to ease various evil men of their lives." - Solomon Kane

Comics and artwork:
http://onelastsketch.wordpress.com/

#6 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:57 AM

Heh, all I was thinking was "great, now I'm going to have to get hipster glasses, since I liked fantasy before it went mainstream..."

Argh, this article frustrates me greatly. The geek stereotype for fantasy readers was never true, not even twenty-five years ago. and something becoming "mainstream" doesn't legitimize it in any way

There's been a lot of these articles lately proclaiming that Peter Jackson and George R.R. Martin have made fantasy palatable for adults. What a silly notion.

They seem to be confusing Dungeons & Dragons with all fantasy literature. Still, at least they aren't going the "well, LotR and GoT isn't really fantasy" like that Ballard obituary attempted.

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#7 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:29 AM

Another nerdy we are in the genre ghetto article. Mainstream and GOT,LOTR being popular film,tv is different. In a recent literary course i took they were talking about classic fantasy ala Lord Dunsany,Morris,Peake etc

Not like people know only LOTR....

As literary fan i dont care if im the only who likes certain fantasy or if like yesterday in local comic convention i see many offline HPL,REH fans.

Edited by Libaax, 02 April 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#8 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

Quick! We need something unpopular to like, so we can still be cool!
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#9 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:39 PM

Im cool i couldnt finish A Game of Thrones book and i didnt finish first LOTR book hehe ;) Both were the opposite of my fantasy taste. Both are not prose stylist exactly.

I dont care about not liking GOT but LOTR is loved by many readers i respect and i couldnt feel the same. My taste in fantasy is too much sword and sorcery weirdness,CAS type author.

#10 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:07 AM

Rejoice! They are remaking Total Recall! TR purists will be happy to see that the new movie is excruciatingly faithful to the original movie, scene-by-scene, and even line-by-line. It should be a success; only when someone does something new and creative do they trumpet it as a flop. (What I call "flop-buggery").

I guess the only way to make John Carter a success would be to re-make it.

Edited by Ironhand, 03 April 2012 - 02:09 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#11 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Only in the remake, John Carter is transported to Neptune. You know, for originality.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 02:31 AM

No, it must be Mars, for total absence of originality.

#13 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:06 AM

Try being a horror fan, everyone thinks you are a weirdo...it's great and you get to wear some seriously cool t-shirts.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

No, it must be Mars, for total absence of originality.

After all, do you think the new Total Recall will take place on Neptune?

#15 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Maybe we need to become Western fans.

#16 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Or fans of psychic detectives and emo vampires. ;)

#17 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

Mainstream or minority..... I'll read what I like, watch what I like, and listen to what I like.
To me The Hobbit and LotR were boring reads but LotR was a great film trilogy and I can't wait to see The Hobbit.
I still prefer Blade Runner over The Hunger Games, and I'll go see Wraith of the Titans brfore anyone makes me re-watch The King's Speech.
Though I do hope that there is a trend to continue to make good fantasy films. for too many years the best we had was SyFy channel films. I just wish the trend had carried over to REH's famous characters.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#18 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:18 AM

Fantasy isn't exactly pop, but it has as large a following - almost - as pop literature. And certainly more than that pretentious drivel that university graduates produce.

I have a very limited interest in the visual medium, because no one can ever make a film as good as Red Nails or Sailor on the Seas of Fate. Probably just a personality thing, but I feel like Kane:

"Just thought you'd be interested to hear how it could be done," Opyros broke in defensively. "I still maintain that a poem well sung is far more effective than a poem well read--and infinitely superior to merely reading the words to yourself. Poetry is an expression of beauty, and beauty is an emotional awareness which for total appreciation demands a total sensual participation and response from its audience. You're asocial, Kane; you treat imagery on an individual intellectual level--perhaps because your personal autism believes intellectual and emotional stimulation are inseparable...
"Vaul! You're in a profound mood tonight," Kane cut in sarcastically. "Are you certain of your insight, though? Drugs and ate will foster more prophecies and philosophies than a sober mind can hold together."

- Night Winds, Karl E. Wagner

What got me into pulp was not the good writing (not that it's not there - Howard is a phenomenal writer, and so is Kenneth Robeson) but the philosophical depth to it. I can't stand literature without some kind of point; and I think popular normative "philosophy" is mildly-retarded nonsense. I like pulp because it kicks pop fiction in the balls and doesn't even stop to examine the damage it's done.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#19 Rey

Rey

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:04 PM

It's not because things like GoT (which I love) are getting popular that fantasy is. How many people do I know who are all about GoT but think I'm the weirdest guy (either a racist or a virgin usually) when I start talking about Conan or tabletop wargames. It's the same thing that is going on with comic books, people go see Nolan's Batman and wear retro comic books tee-shirts, but still think you're a weirdo if you actually read comic books.

#20 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

RJ and Rey, i find my self agreeing with both of your comments.
i find most all modern fantasy very boring and "shallow" in many ways, no depth to it beyond "save the world" and the hero accepting he is the hero.
i also find it that many people talk about GOT or LOTR or even star wars but look at you as one who truly likes these things and collects and reads them as weird or a "dork"