24 replies to this topic

#1 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:16 PM

It is a well known fact among Howard's fandom that the man was a prolific and ingenuous writer of poems, apart from his yarns and other writings. Many of his poems have been unpublished and these show in a remarkable way aspects of the man's creativity and character that one may not be able to find elsewhere.

Now, the REH Foundation published a complete collection of Howard's poems, but it has been out of print for some time. Being very much interested to lay my hands on such a collection, I'd love to see a reprint/republishing of the Collected Poems.

Therefore, I would respectfully suggest to all forum members also interested in this stuff to make a point in this thread, so when I (or anyone else for that matter) ask/request from the Foundation for a possible republishing of the collection, there will already be a group of people interested and willing to buy it.

Thank you.

#2 THE KID

THE KID

Rustlin, horse stealin, bootleggin whiskey, and sharp shootin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

I was fortunate to get REH Collected Poetry First Edition. Until the second edition comes out here are some other options:

1. Lulu.com Robert E. Howard: Selected Poems by Frank Coffman Paperback 567 pages $23.50 Hardcover $37.00

A large and representative selection of the poetic work of Robert E. Howard, with a general introductory essay, 30 chapter introductions, and commentary by Prof. Frank Coffman, one of the foremost authorities on Howard's verse and "ways with words." Three indexes add to the value of this ample selection: by title, by first lines, and a "Form Finder" index to allow quick access to Howard's work with the ballad, the sonnet, blank verse, free verse and other forms and techniques. Well over half of Howard's more than 700 poems are included in this text, set in a text size and format for presentation that enhances readability and enjoyment. For those who are familiar with Howard's prose fictional works, but who remain uninitiated in the many qualities and nuances of Howard's verse, this compilation and commentary will offer insights into the complexity, quality and breadth of his work. For those who believe they know Howard's poetic work, some new perspectives will... More > broaden their appreciation.

2. Lulu.com - Coffman Street: Poems for Robert E. Howard $10
3. David Burton also did the wrap-around cover for A Word from the Outer Dark, a collection of 100 poems by Robert E. Howard put together by Paul Herman in 2009, with the assistance of Rob Roehm for the restored texts. This volume is available exclusively from the Robert E. Howard Museum, for the price of $15.00, with a $2.00 shipping/handling fee. For more than one, add $1.00 per book. You can buy them at the Gift Shop of the Howard House or order them via mail from Project Pride, POB 534, Cross Plains, Texas 76443.
Posted Image

Edited by Richard, 03 April 2012 - 11:54 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#3 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I'm ready to buy another copy of the Collected Poems, mainly because I owe Taranaich a copy. Ya see, it was his mentioning the lack of same in his REH collection that got me prowling Ebay--where I didn't find a copy--but DID find REH publications I had before Katrina (aka The Great Cataclysm) ate them. So I owe Al BIG TIME.

So put me down for a ga-ron-teed sale whenever the Foundation gets 'round to another printing.

Tex
(and if it's updated, to include the new poems found since the last time, I'll get me another copy as well)

Edited by Tex, 04 April 2012 - 01:40 AM.

#4 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,025 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Count me in. I had to sell my first edition copy for rent money 2yrs ago.

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#5 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:55 PM

Collected Poetry is not "complete poetry" -- it's close, but there's a reason we went with "collected" instead. Having said that, we do have plans for another edition, but it's not in our immediate schedule. Readers of the last Howard Collector and this month's REHF Newsletter have two poems that we didn't have when CP went to press, and other items have turned up as well. Before we do another edition we'll want to be sure it's as "complete" as we can make it. All good things to those that wait.

Rob

Count me in. I had to sell my first edition copy for rent money 2yrs ago.

#6 Ningauble

Ningauble

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:23 PM

Collected Poetry is not "complete poetry" -- it's close, but there's a reason we went with "collected" instead. Having said that, we do have plans for another edition, but it's not in our immediate schedule. Readers of the last Howard Collector and this month's REHF Newsletter have two poems that we didn't have when CP went to press, and other items have turned up as well. Before we do another edition we'll want to be sure it's as "complete" as we can make it. All good things to those that wait.

Rob

Good to hear. I've been trying to collect all the missing poems, but I'm not sure I have got them all.

#7 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:30 PM

Rob, good news about the new poems and a good excuse for another edition! I like the thought that there might be more REH poems out there. Perhaps hidden in an attic or basement someplace! Thanks for printing the ones in the REHF Newsletter. Makes being a member of the REHF even more enticing!

Richard: A Word From the Outer Dark is a favorite REH poetry book of mine! I've bought many of these and have given away all but one (Paul Herman signed it.) It has 100 poems and while it doesn't contain all my favorites, most of them are in it. At $15, it's a real bargain and its size makes it easy to carry around.
BB

#8 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Hi Barb:

Family and friends are lucky to have you.

Even though I have Collect Poetry of REH I'll get the second edition if there are addition bonuses.

That's great Paul signed your Word From The Outer Dark. Did he do it by mail or in person? I'd like to purchase another book with his signature but not sure the best way to do it. I'm unable to attend REH Days because of my job and the distance. I live in Florida. If Paul would presign it I could only pay only one shipping cost. I can kick myself because I got mine wet and the cover never was the same. I sure would like to get a new one in mint condition.

Thank you. Rich

Edited by Richard, 04 April 2012 - 09:55 PM.

The New Sheriff In Town - The Vultures of Whapeton & Boot Hill Payoff (The Western Stories)

#9 Ningauble

Ningauble

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

Rob, good news about the new poems and a good excuse for another edition! I like the thought that there might be more REH poems out there. Perhaps hidden in an attic or basement someplace! Thanks for printing the ones in the REHF Newsletter. Makes being a member of the REHF even more enticing!

That's actually the reason why I upgraded my membership a couple of years ago! :)

#10 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:05 AM

Tex,
I think Paul signed mine at Howard Days one year. He is actually a member of this Forum. I don't know how many copies of the book Project Pride keeps in stock but perhaps Paul will sign several copies while he is in Cross Plains for HDs 2012. If so, I'll ask some of the Project Pride staff to send you a signed copy when they get your check.

Ningauble: The upgraded membership is worth every penny, isn't it! Not only an advance look at the new REH poems. It's too bad you can't attend the REHF Legacy Luncheon at HDs on Saturday but I recognize that Sweden is a long ways away and way too far to go for lunch -- of course there are other perks and lots of fun. If you haven't already been there, perhaps some day you'll be able to attend? Oh, and bring your REH poetry book if you do. We have REH poetry readings on Friday night very close to the room where he actually wrote the poems!
BB

#11 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:59 AM

Hey Barb:

Can you please ask Project Pride staff to send me a presigned Word Of Outer Dark for me too? I'll send a check when it's closer to REH Days around Early May and on check place (Paul Herman's autograph).

I sure appreciate it being signed and all. I'll show it to all my family and friends and praise REH.

No harm in begging :) .

v/r Richard Moore in Florida

Edited by Richard, 05 April 2012 - 01:06 AM.

#12 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:10 AM

Hi Richard,
No problem. Put on it "HOLD FOR PAUL'S AUTOGRAPH. I'll alert Project Pride when the time gets closer. One of us can track him down and get it signed and Project Pride will send it.
BB

#13 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Rob

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to a new, more complete edition. It will still be a good thing if many forum members are aware of this edition when the time for publication comes.

#14 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi Richard,
No problem. Put on it "HOLD FOR PAUL'S AUTOGRAPH. I'll alert Project Pride when the time gets closer. One of us can track him down and get it signed and Project Pride will send it.
BB

Barb :rolleyes: I will do this and thank you. v/r Richard

#15 Kane

Kane

The Dark Prometheus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

Richard, thanks for the listing up thread.
I've been wanting to pick up some collections of REH's poetry and you've given me a place to start.
"I vanquished Law once, I'll conquer yet again--
And force upon Mankind the Freedom he fears--
And dead gods I will again defy?"

#16 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Hi Kane,
I highly recommend Frank's Robert E. Howard Selected Poems. In addition to the two REH poetry books mentioned above by Richard, there is also A Rhyme of Salem Town, available through the REHF which contains some poems that Frank Coffman's does not. See: http://www.rehfounda...-of-salem-town/

Sometimes the Glenn Lord edited poetry books are available on eBay or at used book stores: First editions of course are rare and expensive but later editions are often available at a surprisingly reasonable price.
Always Comes Evening
Night Images
Singers in the Shadows
Shadows of Dreams
Echoes from the Iron Harp

I think my first REH poetry book purchase was Singers in the Shadows that I bought from an Australian book dealer. It took about ten days to get here and I could hardly wait until it arrived. Plus there are poetry chapbooks that become available periodically.

Richard's second selection above: Coffman Street: Poems for Robert E. Howard is a wonderful poetry book that contains poems written by Frank Coffman in tribute to REH.
BB

#17 THE KID

THE KID

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:27 AM

Richard, thanks for the listing up thread.
I've been wanting to pick up some collections of REH's poetry and you've given me a place to start.

:) You're welcome!

#18 Ningauble

Ningauble

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:18 PM

Ningauble: The upgraded membership is worth every penny, isn't it! Not only an advance look at the new REH poems. It's too bad you can't attend the REHF Legacy Luncheon at HDs on Saturday but I recognize that Sweden is a long ways away and way too far to go for lunch -- of course there are other perks and lots of fun. If you haven't already been there, perhaps some day you'll be able to attend? Oh, and bring your REH poetry book if you do. We have REH poetry readings on Friday night very close to the room where he actually wrote the poems!
BB

Alas -- I went to eastercon in England instead! At the moment I can only afford about two trips abroad per year, and the next couple of years are full of other great conventions I need to attend (Worldcon, World Fantasy Convention, possibly Mythoscon...) But I'll try to get to Texas one of these years!

#19 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

I want a copy.

#20 BarB

BarB

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Richard,
BB

Barb :rolleyes: I will do this and thank you. v/r Richard

Hi Richard,
Tried to send you a PM but it wouldn't work. I've alerted Project Pride and they are expecting the check. If they see Paul Herman before HDs, they will have him sign it then; otherwise, I'll do it at HDs.
BB