156 replies to this topic

#121 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm holding judgement on it, because my crappy comic shop is messing my orders up!! :) Time to go digital again me thinks, at last I'll get them in time?

mycomicshop.com (Lonestar Comics) only charges $1.50 to ship standard comics to my house, which is less than what I would spend in gas these days for a trip to the comic store.

http://www.mycomicshop.com/

Chrs, thnks for the link but not needed at this point. I think they read my posts lol, I received it this morning with an apology! :)
Cant bloody wait though to peel open the pages ahhhhhhh.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#122 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Best issue so far, I think they hooked me. Don't mind the lack of mating dance, but very confused by El Borak's guest cameo in the shaman's dream. I really like the Wood/Cloonan N'gora in just a few pages the character seems very real. Glad that Belit's crew is looking human now and Conan gained 5 lbs. I'm looking forward to more beasties from Cloonan. The wolf Conan faces in the flashback and the glimpse of the wing ape are both highly stylized Mignola-esque and creepy.
Good that the letters page still exists and that Dark Horse was willing to print critical letters from fans and acknowledge the feelings of REH fans. It should also be noted that the fan-art pin up winner is awesome by far and away the best fan art I've seen published in a Conan comic.

#123 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Best issue so far, I think they hooked me. Don't mind the lack of mating dance, but very confused by El Borak's guest cameo in the shaman's dream. I really like the Wood/Cloonan N'gora in just a few pages the character seems very real. Glad that Belit's crew is looking human now and Conan gained 5 lbs. I'm looking forward to more beasties from Cloonan. The wolf Conan faces in the flashback and the glimpse of the wing ape are both highly stylized Mignola-esque and creepy.
Good that the letters page still exists and that Dark Horse was willing to print critical letters from fans and acknowledge the feelings of REH fans. It should also be noted that the fan-art pin up winner is awesome by far and away the best fan art I've seen published in a Conan comic.

Have to agree, the best so far. Usually the excitement wears off for me when the story gets going, but still look forward to the next one.

The Cimmerian lands and Conan hopped up in furs battling the beasts for food and life, shows the harsh climes he had to endure, makes a none Conan fan realise why he is strong and deadly, could intro. Cloonan's water is pretty darn good, Woods was right about her being excellent at depicting water. Her Belit is the best I've came across since Buscema's furred vixen, stunning and beautiful.

Mostly pluses on my part for this issue, but the dance was missed by me, and I still feel it was where Conan's back was broke in regards to wanting to stay alive. Forsaking his oath to Tito and not dying as the men sunk beneath the waves in revenge was explained to me in Howard depicting Belits magic off stripping Conan of his vengeful task that was still a sore point in his mind. The dance was the straw that broke the camels back, as any man would agree that has watched a belly dancer perform in real life, lol. To me Woods missed out on a cherry on his cake leaving that out, but it still read well and was paced decently.

The stories are not filled with blood and gore to the point of becoming silly; thinking back to the old Marvel days, we had action within the first pages. Which in my youth I loved, now I find the stories interesting and backed up with good art (Bit bigger Conan muscle wise), but all together a good read.

Edited by Dave the Rage, 25 April 2012 - 11:45 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#124 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:22 AM

The stories are not filled with blood and gore to the point of becoming silly; thinking back to the old Marvel days, we had action within the first pages. Which in my youth I loved, now I find the stories interesting and backed up with good art (Bit bigger Conan muscle wise), but all together a good read.

well that's well received news at least.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#125 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

http://www.comicbook...review&id=12273

Jim Harrens art is tasty in the full spread sea scene, but his Conan mouth is gonna annoy me very much indeed, hopefully the story is good to out weigh the weird Conan mouth!

#126 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

Jim Harrens art is tasty in the full spread sea scene, but his Conan mouth is gonna annoy me very much indeed, hopefully the story is good to out weigh the weird Conan mouth!

"Conan, you're having a great time out on the ocean, having all the sex you want, why the long face?" (Sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

#127 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:05 PM

"Conan, you're having a great time out on the ocean, having all the sex you want, why the long face?" (Sorry, couldn't resist ;) )

Lol, it should also make me realise too, loads of half skant woman poses, maybe it does symbolize more to the artist and thus the horse face conan. He is sick as a dog on the boat till he finds his sea legs. :P

#128 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Sailing the deep blue sea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Conan, you are gonna get rich, you`ll just keep looting the whole Hiborean coast, why the long face? (Sorry, couldn`t resist keeping up with Johnny`s idea).

#129 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:23 PM

What is up with Conan's mouth? Becky Cloonan had that weird Muppet mouth with constantly jutting teeth, and now this ...

Is a mouth really that hard to draw?

#130 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,618 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:48 AM

Evidently this artist has a certain way to draw mouths. You can see it on N'gora, too.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#131 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

What is up with Conan's mouth? Becky Cloonan had that weird Muppet mouth with constantly jutting teeth, and now this ...

Is a mouth really that hard to draw?

And looking at that massive chin and jaw on page 3...Jay Leno would be proud. ;)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#132 Aza9

Aza9

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

yeah, I get it. "stylized" but...
:( muppet?
Posted Image
I woulda kept Thothmekri for awhile. He could come in handy.

#133 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:44 AM

OK, that is hillarious. I madea similar picture for one of my reviews but it got nixed by the editor.

How do you post an image? I want to share?

#134 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

OK, that is hillarious. I madea similar picture for one of my reviews but it got nixed by the editor.

How do you post an image? I want to share?

It got to be on web somewhere. Then click the picture icon on the reply window and paste the url.

#135 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

Boo! The picture lives only on my desktop. No sharing then, I guess ....

#136 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to post the Frazetta picture on the other thread and I've got the same problem. :angry:

#137 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

Yeah, I've been trying to post the Frazetta picture on the other thread and I've got the same problem. :angry:

Open up a website using a free service, then add the pics to a file dump folder. Right click on the picture once you have uploaded it then click properties and then copy and paste the URL into conan forum, then it will display picture. (I hope).

But the muppet one is excellent, Conan is obviously the one on the right?> :)

#138 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

Just saw the monthly #s. #3 pulled 17,261 which is barely a blip different than last month. POTS #4 also was almost exactly the same as last issue, just under 10,000. If #4 holds steady with a different artist, then it looks like the book's found a new level.

#139 brianwood

brianwood

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Zack told me I should come by more often, but this will be very hit and run.

Glad people like #3 once they actually read it. The first 3/4 of this thread were pretty disturbing, and, again, what's with all the homophobic comments? Yeesh. :)

My personal belief about the mating dance is this: writing something like that is one thing, drawing it is another and any artist would be walking a seriously fine line between nailing it and making it corny. What works in a 70's dimestore comic does not necessarily work now in this sophisticated audience. It felt risky so I took a different path to the same thing and it was approved. I don't see it as a slam on REH since he never intended for this to be drawn in a comic book anyway.

I disagree with Zack and others that this Belit is in any way weaker. I think she is in total control. You will, however, see cracks in her armor once they go to Cimmeria in #7-9. You will also see her battle prowess there, and also a bit before that too in Messantia. James Harren draws battle scenes that raise the hairs on the neck.

A note on the sales numbers: what gets reported online are estimates, don't include all reorders and don't include sales to the UK at all. I'm told from Dark Horse than the order numbers on #1 were over 24,000, with actual sales more than that.

b

#140 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:32 PM

I still think there was a way to portray it consistent with your characterization of her. The scene in its place is very good and depicts emotions you don't ordinarily think of in a Conan comic. Not sure why it was risky though. I don't think there would've been a problem having her do it in front of the crew as a way to bring Conan into her way of life, letting them know "He's with me, what he says is what I say", something like that. Then you have the next scene in the bed. If it's in the story, it should be depicted, that's the way I look at it.

Can't wait to see how you work all those images from the dream page in, espeically the one in particular. Oh, and were the opening couple of pages intended as a kind of tribute ot BWS's Cimmeria or did I read too much into it? It works very well as one even if it wasn't meant to be.