71 replies to this topic

#21 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:44 AM

he's got clear coat on, so no worries about nail breakage.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#22 cimmerianbloke

cimmerianbloke

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

I look at the cover, I can hear Celine Dion...

#23 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

I like when the whole package comes together. I want the interior art to reach the level of this cover. I remember detesting Linzner's covers and loving everthything Giorello/Nord did in the issue. Also having to continually refer to Wheatley's covers to convey the same scene that Hawthorne's interiors failed miserably at. This disparity/synergy is apparent through all Conan comics throughout time.

#24 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

There is a cover/interior art disconnect in a lot of Dark Horse's Conan. "Phoenix on the Sword," for example, has amazing interior art and some of the worst covers I have seen.

#25 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

There is a cover/interior art disconnect in a lot of Dark Horse's Conan. "Phoenix on the Sword," for example, has amazing interior art and some of the worst covers I have seen.

Oddly enough, with the Road of Kings the situation was reversed.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#26 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

Oddly enough, with the Road of Kings the situation was reversed.

It is like the Conan Uncertainty Principle. You can either have Good Covers, or Good Interiors, but not both at the same time ....

#27 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:33 PM

Well it makes sense. The less you have going on in the inside, the more you have to make the outside look good in order to sell it. As well as comics and movies, I can think of quite a few women who use this strategy! :P

#28 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Well it makes sense. The less you have going on in the inside, the more you have to make the outside look good in order to sell it. As well as comics and movies, I can think of quite a few women who use this strategy! :P

Yeah, you are absolutely right.
It is just a shame that Dark Horse cannot provide consistent good covers. This is a tendency since the first Conan comic.
Road of Kings had such good covers, from # 1 to 5, and now this Phoenix on the Sword series is suffering. Number 4 remembers me a Ghostbusters movie monster. Remember this?

Posted Image

Edited by Aquilonia, 17 April 2012 - 02:45 AM.

#29 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

Yeah, you are absolutely right.
It is just a shame that Dark Horse cannot provide consistent good covers. This is a tendency since the first Conan comic.
Road of Kings had such good covers, from # 1 to 5, and now this Phoenix on the Sword series is suffering. Number 4 remembers me a Ghostbusters movie monster. Remember this?

Posted Image

ZUUL! I definitely see the resemblance, and it's a shame that isn't the worst part of the cover. I think it would actually be a cool piece if he'd just fixed Conan's face...seriously, what the hell is going on there?

Edited by KG Thunder, 17 April 2012 - 03:27 AM.

#30 tkas

tkas

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

Jesus,,, It's like the poster for a Brazilian soap opera....

#31 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

:D

#32 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

The definition I found of "soap opera" is here: http://www.thefreedi....com/soap opera Could you give me an example of "Brazilian soap opera"? I'm Brazilian, but I don't remember of anyone...

#33 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

The definition I found of "soap opera" is here: http://www.thefreedi....com/soap+opera Could you give me an example of "Brazilian soap opera"? I'm Brazilian, but I don't remember of anyone...

Think telenovela, I think that's what he was trying to get across.

#34 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

I`m Brazilian too and in Brazil there are no telenovela or soap opera posters or whatever. Just to clear things up.

#35 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:34 AM

Northern barbarians with slim, sensitive fingers are as scarce as telenovelas and soap operas in Brazil?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#36 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

Telenovelas in Brazil with monsters are much more difficult to find than barbarians with slim, sensitive fingers :D

Edited by Aquilonia, 21 April 2012 - 03:57 AM.

#37 Fernando

Fernando

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:58 AM

Telenovelas in Brazil with monsters are much more difficult to find than barbarians with slim, sensitive fingers :D

Indeed. Besides Caminhos do Coração a.k.a. Os Mutantes, there's no Brazilian telenovelas with monsters... :D

#38 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

That cover is cool at first glance but fails a close look.
Wonder woman meets a black haired elric...
She is wearing eyeliner.eyeshadow,lipstick and Conan has french nails and stranglers hands and not the good kind.
Those fingers look like gollums if you dirty them up some..
Conan should have big old ham fists,with hairy knuckles.
That cover is a fail,sorry.

#39 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

Strangler's hands? That guy couldn't strangle a hamster, much less a poor weakling with muscles like rotten string. In fact, now that I think of it, this Conan looks like a poor weakling with muscles like rotten string, himself.

Edited by Ironhand, 22 April 2012 - 11:18 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#40 warrior900

warrior900

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Welcome to the PUSSIFICATION OF CONAN...ugh
He stood like an image of the unconquerable primordial ? legs braced far apart, head thrust forward, one hand clutching the wall for support, the other gripping the ax on high, with the great corded muscles standing out in iron ridges, and his features frozen in a death snarl of fury ? his eyes blazing?? ? The Phoenix on the Sword, REH