Photo

Preview: King Conan: The Phoenix On The Sword #4.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Says a lot about King Conan. He is warned by a dream, and finds his bodyguard missing. But rather than hiding in a closet he hurries to strap on armor and countersurprise his enemies.

I would have wished the Giorello team would have drawn all the REH stories in a sequence. But his King Conan is just awesome!

#22 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

If you want to grumble, how about the blurb?
Thoth-Amon is already on his way back to Stygia after firing and forgetting his murderous demon.

Don't worry. Whoever wrote that blurb was sucking heavily on the crack pipe. Thoth-Amon does exactly what he is supposed to do.

I would have wished the Giorello team would have drawn all the REH stories in a sequence. But his King Conan is just awesome!

But which sequence? I personally prefer the stories as Howard told them; with no chronology whatsoever. I have always chafed at the various attempts to string the stories into some sort of sequencial order.

#23 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

See I like the Dark Horse chronology. I loved having to put the pieces together myself when I read the Howard stories but this method really conveys Conan's long arduous climb from barbarism to king. For example, in Iron Shadows, Howard only gives us a few lines of dialogue to describe Conan's relationship with Shah Amurath before he cuts him to ribbons. But all that backup pastiche of the Free Companions run put all the more weight into Conan's blade as it cleaves into Amurath's mailed shoulder. I thought the whole series was running pretty damn well as an epic linear story until Road of Kings.
Of course I'd love to see a Truman/ Giorello Hour of the Dragon. But I was almost hoping the series would lead up to that story, so it'd be a few years down the line. We all know at this point that this team is going to knock any REH adaption out of the park and very very faithfully. I'd almost prefer a strictly pastiche mini series by Truman and Giorello just so I can have a Conan comic of that quality where I don't know what's going to happen. (And also a Conan title on the shelves at the same time as QotBC)

#24 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:14 PM

If the viewing figures are correct then we are best hoping to keep the team on board if the figures do not improve, over 9000 is scarey considering OoftBC is pulling double that?

I really hope that these figures improve, and I feel if any fans out there want this to happen they need to blog as much as possible about it as they did with QotBC comic to send out a positive message!

Edited by Dave the Rage, 16 April 2012 - 10:15 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#25 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

Loved this! The panels showing the battle were superb and filled with glorious detail - best action I've read in a comic in quite some time. I'll certainly be buying the graphic novel when it's released. B)
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#26 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Posted a little late due to website snafus, but here is my review:

http://www.comicsbul...oenix-sword-4-4

#27 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

Posted a little late due to website snafus, but here is my review:

http://www.comicsbul...oenix-sword-4-4

Why did you say #4 was the final issue? It isn't.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#28 ZackDavisson

ZackDavisson

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

I thought the giant "Final Issue" on the front cover was kind of a giveaway ...

#29 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

I thought the giant "Final Issue" on the front cover was kind of a giveaway ...

My; mistake. I had #3 confused with #4. My #3 says "No. 3 of 4".
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#30 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

Well, if you wanted action, you got it in this issue. Heads flying, bodies split, it's here. And I did like the break with the past re: Thoth Amon on the last page, we're not in DeCamp land anymore. Overall, the series didn't quite reach the level of Scarlet Citadel, but that's mainly because of the limitations of the story. Quality wise, it's still up there. Take a look at page 2 and tell me that wouldn't have made a killer cover.

I'd love for T & T to take on Hour of the Dragon (12 issues may be a little limiting, I thought 25 issues of the regular series would cover it, but we'll take what we can get). I'm wondering if maybe they'd like to think outside the box a little bit and do an extended mini, 6 issues or so, on Conan taking the throne, maybe try working in Wolves Beyond the Border via Pramis. Looking at the sales figures though, maybe sticking with Howard would be a better path right now after ROK.

#31 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

I'd love for T & T to take on Hour of the Dragon (12 issues may be a little limiting, I thought 25 issues of the regular series would cover it, but we'll take what we can get). I'm wondering if maybe they'd like to think outside the box a little bit and do an extended mini, 6 issues or so, on Conan taking the throne, maybe try working in Wolves Beyond the Border via Pramis. Looking at the sales figures though, maybe sticking with Howard would be a better path right now after ROK.

I would love that, but as you say, the sales figures aren't as mighty as they should be, by Crom. Still, if they could pull it off, what a wonderful thing it would be...
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#32 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:58 PM

I think it´s better to add pastische and embed the Howard story in these when it comes to Comics. Because otherwise you would have to have a lot of text, developing the story, and that is probably not possible in a comic. A narrative figure, like the senior King Conan in Scarlet Citadel, would also work very fine for me. That line of thinking would lead to some sort of chronology based on age and estimated time.

But my point was that I like Giorellos´work, and would have liked to see some continuency in the Conan Graphic novels series.

Edited by Lunatic, 26 April 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#33 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Speaking about Giorello, I know I`m gonna be crucified for that, but I wish a new team to step up and adapt The Hour of the Dragon.
I`m feeling the need to read something fresh. This team is amazing, they improve, year in and year out, but it`s been what... 5 years since they began working on Conan?
What do you all think?
Cloonan and Wood are really reshaping Conan (good or bad, they are doing it) and I wonder if a new team would also send some new, fresh air into the old king stories. Just a thought.

#34 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:03 PM

Speaking about Giorello, I know I`m gonna be crucified for that, but I wish a new team to step up and adapt The Hour of the Dragon.
I`m feeling the need to read something fresh. This team is amazing, they improve, year in and year out, but it`s been what... 5 years since they began working on Conan?
What do you all think?
Cloonan and Wood are really reshaping Conan (good or bad, they are doing it) and I wonder if a new team would also send some new, fresh air into the old king stories. Just a thought.

They can bring in new people to continue screwing up the regular series. I'm done with it. Leave a good team in place to do adaptations of real Conan stories, including a proper adaptation of Queen of the Black Coast.

#35 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:58 AM

What do you all think?

I don't know, I think I'd rather play it safe and keep this team for HotD, just because it's one of my favorite stories and I'd hate to gamble on new artists/writers and end up disappointed with their version of it. If it ain't broke...
Plus, keeping the team would add a nice uniform feel to all of the King Conan tales. I hate when titles/arcs change artists part way through, especially for the series' conclusion.

#36 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:41 PM

What do you all think?

They can bring in new people to continue screwing up the regular series. I'm done with it. Leave a good team in place to do adaptations of real Conan stories, including a proper adaptation of Queen of the Black Coast.

By the end of Queen of the Black Coast, nobody will even remember there was something called the mating dance. Proper adaptation, exactly like the one Thomas did? No, thanks.

Edited by Aquilonia, 27 April 2012 - 01:41 PM.

#37 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

What do you all think?

By the end of Queen of the Black Coast, nobody will even remember there was something called the mating dance. Proper adaptation, exactly like the one Thomas did? No, thanks.

You assume that I am a fan of Roy Thomas. I liked his version well enough when I was a kid, but now I find it deeply flawed. He was capable of excellent adaptations and Savage Sword of Conan had many of them, but his QotBC was not one of them.

#38 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:06 PM

Savage Sword of Conan by Roy Thomas will forever be the best adaptations ever. Haven`t seen anything better since then.
By the way (I know it is off topic, moderators!), I`d love to see Savage Sword of Conan being published just like the Hellboy Library Editons series. Hell, that is something to be kept, it`s got the treatment Conan Savage Sword series deserves, not this newspaper pulp thing we are getting. Shame...

#39 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:17 AM

What do you all think?

No thanks... after the new team of Wood and Cloonan screwing up QotBC. I know it will not happen, but I wouldn't mind a 5 or 6 issue mini series QotBC by Truman and Giorello. Since the main series is all f***** up now.

#40 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,897 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

Savage Sword of Conan by Roy Thomas will forever be the best adaptations ever. Haven`t seen anything better since then.
By the way (I know it is off topic, moderators!), I`d love to see Savage Sword of Conan being published just like the Hellboy Library Editons series. Hell, that is something to be kept, it`s got the treatment Conan Savage Sword series deserves, not this newspaper pulp thing we are getting. Shame...

The only thing wrong with the Thomas/Buscema QotBC was they got Belit all wrong. The fur monokini was just wrong, totally wrong. And their Belit was too bluff and honest and warrior-like.