Photo

Preview: King Conan: The Phoenix On The Sword #4.

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 sat

sat

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:57 PM

Click over to
http://www.comicbook...review&id=12063
for the whole 6 page preview of Truman's, Giorello's & Villarrubia's gorgeous work! Publication Date: April 25, 2012.

Here's a taste:
Posted Image
If I had my way, this creative team would already be working on a at least 12 issues adaption of "Hour of the Dragon". B)

Edited by sat, 12 April 2012 - 08:04 PM.

scott tilson.
--------------------
Sequential Art features & links http://www.sfsite.co...entialart01.htm
Beers, Conan, And World Cultures!
at http://www.conan.com...?showtopic=5135

#2 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Flying over the desert sands

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

A 12 issue adaptation would be really fun. Two trades to collect. Yes!

#3 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,842 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Incredible art, as always. And a 12-issue 'Hour of the Dragon' with this team would truly be awesome.
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#4 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

These pages look awesome! I love the intensity of Conan's expressions on the first page.

This team really needs to adapt Hour of the Dragon.

#5 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

I'm going to grumble. Where's his armor?
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#6 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

If you want to grumble, how about the blurb?

The Rebel Four spring their trap on King Conan, sending assassins to slay the barbarian monarch in his sleep! After waking from a strange vision, Conan has his back up against a wall and his enemies in front of him--right where he wants them. If these traitors want his crown, they'll have to take it! But even if Conan survives the assassination attempt, the evil wizard Thoth-Amon is back at full power and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike and take the throne for himself!

Thoth-Amon is already on his way back to Stygia after firing and forgetting his murderous demon.

And yes, the art is made of Awesome.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#7 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:19 PM

Presumably the same broom cupboard Dark Horse keeps the rest of Conan's armour in adaptations.

The Rebel Four spring their trap on King Conan, sending assassins to slay the barbarian monarch in his sleep! After waking from a strange vision, Conan has his back up against a wall and his enemies in front of him--right where he wants them. If these traitors want his crown, they'll have to take it! But even if Conan survives the assassination attempt, the evil wizard Thoth-Amon is back at full power and waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike and take the throne for himself!

Well, it's true from a certain point of view: just because Thoth-Amon is waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike and take the throne for himself doesn't mean he won't change his mind and think "eh, I'd rather go back to Stygia. I miss my slave boy." :P

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#8 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I`m going to grumble too: Conan`s hair is only 2.34 feet long. It should be 2.35 feet long. That sucks. :P

#9 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

And where's the continuity between teams? After wood/cloonan's QoftBc he should be flinging macchiato shots at them...

Giorellos grown tremendously as an artist, I do wish he'd loosen up a bit though.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#10 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:37 PM

I agree, he should loosen up at least a bit. His Conan is too stiff many times, especially in battle scenes.
It seems that many artists have problems when drawing movements.They look awkward, artificial in some occasions.
John Buscema is the first guy that comes to mind when I think about battle scenes. His movements really flowed pretty damn well. They gave the idea of speed and power, something that is missing sometimes in Giorello and in Clonnan`s art too.
Conan the barbarian # 2, for instance, showed Conan slashing and killing Belit`s crew and the movements there could be better represented, didn`t look quite as good as Buscema`s representations of fighting and battling.
Hope Truman/Giorello keep improving, they are already great, but why not being the masters of Conan adaptations?
I also wish Vilarrubia keep his pallete in check. I like the colors in PotS, but I did not like many pages he colored for The Scarlet Citadel. Heavy tones of blue and bad choices of red and purple marred the story in my opinion.

#11 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:20 PM

It is fantastic stuff indeed, full of power in every page turned, eyes that twinkle and come to life from the page, deep blue too. The evil henchmen come in the night with intent drawn on every face. This team rocks like Metallica for me.

In issue 3, Conan is shown ready to pounce and then the bottom panel he says, "Who dies First?". Howard would be proud of this me thinks if he was alive today no doubt in my eyes.

Edited by Dave the Rage, 13 April 2012 - 11:34 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#12 Slashing Sword

Slashing Sword

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:03 PM

This team rocks. Can't wait for Hour of the Dragon... hoping same team.

#13 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 723 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

in the original story i never , ever got the idea, that Thoth wanted the crown at all. more like he just wanted to kill his "master" and any with him, and then head back home with his ring were he was top dog. i believe he even says something along the lines of " my ambitions were far beyond that of petty barons and kings."
i took it as being a king is cool and all but for a sorcerer of the dark arts being king was beneath the things thoth was reaching for.

#14 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

Sounds about right in regards to Tothamon, the ring was his drug off choice more than the power of a seat at the head of the table.

This team do a mighty version of him all the same, he really sticks out as a complete baddas with intent, which helps build the idea of opposition to conan though that a comic story needs, the others like Ascalante are typical fodder when I read Conan stories, but Amon is awsome....makes you wonder actually has Conan met his match? In a way Howard had that idea and then evened the score with Conan bumping into the mage long dead to add the symbol to even the score for Conan when you think he is snookered without any power to combat Thoth.
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#15 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

The art is astounding as always. Giorello has come along way with the "stiffness" of his Conan. The skull cleaving in this preview conveys speed and power and that's something he's developed over time. I think we discuss Giorello's progression often, but in some ways it's Villarubia who has adapted the most. Pick up your trade of "Hand of Nergal" or "Cimmeria" the colors are almost pastel in comparison to recent works. There was a marked shift to darker shades for "Black Colossus" and each output getting darker, richer colors since then.
Cloonan's action scenes have been her biggest weakness thus far. Stiff and cartoonish. Cloonan's black corsairs don't look human. They look like Buscemas creatures in the SSOC adaptations of Iron Shadows or PotBO. She shines in facial expressions, layouts and camera angles.
All that aside I think when PotS is said and done it will be in the canon of greatest Conan comics ever.

#16 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Indeed, this is the best adaptation so far by this team. I`m waiting for The Hour of the Dragon, Dark Horse. Next semester, please. Or as soon as possible, that`s better.

#17 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, the only cuirass that Giorello knows how to draw is a Roman style one, so he and Truman came to the decision to leave it out completely rather than piss off fans. <_<
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#18 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

I really enjoyed this team's work on The Scarlet Citadel. I'm collecting TPOTS but I have yet to read it, looking forward to it.

"I'll varnish the floor with your brains."

There is always too much naked Conan. Conan could look like a bad-ass in the proverbial potato sack, but come on, the guy isn't delusional, he's going to wear body armor. Also, plate, mail and/or scale (what Conan seems to wear when he can) looks really cool.

I was so glad they decided to put Conan in his black armor in TSC, it's a bit 'Gladiator' but it looks pretty good.

Edited by RJMooreII, 15 April 2012 - 01:15 PM.

"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,965 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:45 AM

Think about all the pics we've see of Conan in "half armor" - bare legs and torso, and articulated shoulder and hip armor. Silly. But reasonable for King Conan freshly roused from a dream and throwing on armor randomly in semi-darkness, whatever he grabs first.

Edited by Ironhand, 16 April 2012 - 03:47 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 VenariumDisease

VenariumDisease

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:09 AM

He chafes in armor....