29 replies to this topic

#1 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

After much thought on it,I think we should form our own real-world self-sufficant Cimmerian Village.

Anyone have any ideas,comments anything on the idea?/

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#2 Almuric

Almuric

Demon Slayer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Barbarism sounds very romantic until the dysentry sets in.
"It is more than a mortal sea. Your hands are red with blood and you follow a red sea-path, yet the fault is not wholly with you. Almighty God, when will the reign of blood cease?"

Turlogh shook his head. "Not so long as the race lasts."

--- The Dark Man, by Robert E. Howard

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:27 AM

Barbarism is something that you either have to be born into, or forced into through necessity. Sorry, but you'll just have to wait for the Zombie Apocalypse like the rest of us. In the meantime, you could join an outlaw biker gang, or go live in the outback somewhere like Crocodile Dundee...or the Unabomber.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Take away all the warfare (illegal) and hunting panthers/wolves (endangered) and you're basically just Amish. But hey, at least you'll have a sweet beard.

#5 Arthyron

Arthyron

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

I'm with amster on this one, we'll get there soon enough, just keep preparing and be ready for the SHTF, whether it's zombies or robots or aliens or the economy or meteors or what have you.

#6 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

Take away all the warfare (illegal) and hunting panthers/wolves (endangered) and you're basically just Amish. But hey, at least you'll have a sweet beard.

...and take away their religion and strict moral codes that dictate behavior, and you're basically just a Hippy Commune.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#7 Gin-Wulf

Gin-Wulf

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:06 PM

After much thought on it,I think we should form our own real-world self-sufficant Cimmerian Village.

were you thinking on the line of the living history groups? were they make a celtic village and try to reenact daily life, such as weaving and tanning leather and such?

#8 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

You know, one of the primary Cimmerian virtues has got to be self-reliance.

Translation: If you want it done, you gotta do it yourself. Start with what you can, and build from there.

What do have in mind as a beginning building block? Do you have some property you can start this on? Do you have any local friends who might share your vision?

I'd start with that. Anything's possible if you put your mind to it.

#9 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 PM

You would need to think along the lines of what a Cimmerian village would be and the century of technology etc. Howard did not really break it down to that level, but many available books do in fairness especially the gamer books. HAve a look at museums of the Celtic era here in Ireland and thats where you would start probably.

NAvan Fort Pics in Armagh A fav place of mine.

Edited by Dave the Rage, 13 April 2012 - 11:29 PM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#10 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

In my backyard, I have a young apple tree that I will plant soon, as well as blueberry bushes.
The lawn I keep long like a Cimmerian meadow. I have a couple of stones I use for lifting and I do pullups from a branch of one of my trees. Sometimes I light a bonfire and do some shamanic drumming.
It's a start.

#11 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:50 PM

Konorg, are you still in Louisiana?

#12 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

Konorg, are you still in Louisiana?

Yerp sadly I am still in Louisiana

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#13 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

Could be worse, you could be in Siberia ;P
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#14 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

You gotta bloom where you're planted and make the best out of what you have.
Let us know, Konorg, when you see some progress, and I am sure that those of us who are interested will do the same.

#15 BasilBJr

BasilBJr

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think we're forgetting the fact that Conan was not the typical Cimmerian. It was implied in "Pheonix on the Sword", and "Queen of the Black Coast", that Cimmerians were a gloomy lot; they never laughed and only drank water. Conan even said that the ways of the Aesir were more to his liking. The only modern activities that could bring us anywhere near Conan's lifestyle would be something like off the trail backwoods living, or military style survival camps.

#16 Dark Mark

Dark Mark

Scourge Of The Antipodes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:04 AM

I'd miss the soft toilet paper.

Join me in The Mortuary or at Dreadful Tales where I review horror literature.

#17 TheDarkslayer

TheDarkslayer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:20 AM

I'd give the hard life a go for a couple of months, if I could last that long. Nope, I hate the cold.

Maybe you need to watch, if you haven't already, Jeremiah Johnson. Have a few coldies as well. Heck, I think that's what I might do right now.
Craig Halloran
author of The Darkslayer

Check out my books and blog!

http://www.thedarkslayer.com

Favorite Conan Stories: The Black Stranger, Queen of the Black Coast ... (i'm going back and re-reading REH Conan) It's long over due.
Favorite Conan Artist: Ernie Chan

#18 Kortoso

Kortoso

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

I don't think anyone is implying that we should become gloomy just like the Cimmerians, or live a primitive life 24-7.

But it could be like the Scouting movement, where club members meet regularly and practice core skills, such as swordsmanship and wilderness survival skills. Something like the "buckskinners", reenactors interested in the Mountain Man culture of the Old West.
It wouldn't be much different, except flintlocks would be swapped out for swords, and so on.

There isn't more to it than the doin' of it.

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:24 AM

I think we're forgetting the fact that Conan was not the typical Cimmerian. It was implied in "Pheonix on the Sword", and "Queen of the Black Coast", that Cimmerians were a gloomy lot; they never laughed and only drank water. Conan even said that the ways of the Aesir were more to his liking. The only modern activities that could bring us anywhere near Conan's lifestyle would be something like off the trail backwoods living, or military style survival camps.

Or maybe bar-hopping in the seedy part of town. Pick a few fights.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

Here's an already constructed site, if you're just looking to be a weekend warrior: http://www.ravensborg.org/index.html
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast