Photo

Medieval Warfare Magazine (Karwansaray Publishers)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

http://www.medieval-warfare.com/

They are now taking orders for subscriptions; promises to be good as the Ancient Warfare magazine is simply amazing.
"You might offer me a glass of that wine you're swigging"

#2 deuce

deuce

The OG of "Psychotic Maladjustment"

• Moderators
  • 13,141 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:37 PM

REH would've snapped up a subscription. :)

Support the Robert E. Howard Foundation. It helps you and Robert E. Howard's legacy.

#3 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:41 PM

REH would've snapped up a subscription. :)

Issue 2 will have something that might interest one of our own:

Theme ? Sidney Dean, ?The German Landsknechte?

:D

#4 PaulMc

PaulMc

Sword of Crom

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:42 PM

Very nice and very interesting. I've been looking for information on that era. (actually, Dark Ages, which seems harder to come by - plenty of Crusades and post-Crusades books out there)

I'll keep an eye on this.

-- Paul McNamee

My Blog

#5 Croms Bones

Croms Bones

Mauler of Shadizar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:06 PM

Received my first issue of Ancient Warfare mag a few weeks ago, and it was great. I plan on sub'ing to medieval as well.
The Cimmerian Archives

*NEW* The Robert E. Howard Directory - Add your site, or site you know, today!

#6 John Maddox Roberts

John Maddox Roberts

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:23 PM

I've subscribed to Ancient Warfare since the first issue, and it's worth it for the illustrations alone. It's the same people, so this one should be just as good.

#7 ThuleanWarrior

ThuleanWarrior

Wasteland Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have been buying the last few issues of Ancient Warfare from my local Border. Hopefully they start to carry this new magazine as well. If my Borders does not close down that is.

#8 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

Got the latest issue in the post today and something that may be of interest to those of you across the pond is that it will be available in various US and Canadian bookstores including Chapters and Barnes & Noble from May. You'll get it about a month later than us in Europe but it is WELL worth the wait. It is also going to be available in e-format.

http://www.medieval-...tm_medium=email

#9 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:41 AM

hey are you suscribed to Ancient warfare too?
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#10 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

fascinating. thanks moe!
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#11 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:25 AM

very interesting article- one thing which I think they could have and should have controlled for was tolerance in usage, conditioning...

Posted Image
Heavy metal hardens battle
by Staff Writers
Leeds, UK (SPX) Jul 21, 2011
Posted Image
Wearing armor has been shown to use more than double the energy required to walk and run. Credit: Courtesy of the University of Leeds.
The French may have had a better chance at the Battle of Agincourt had they not been weighed down by heavy body armour, say researchers. A study published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B shows that soldiers carrying armour in Medieval times would have been using more than twice the amount of energy had they not been wearing it. This is the first clear experimental evidence of the limitations of wearing Medieval armour on a soldier's performance.

During warfare in the 15th century, soldiers wore steel plate armour, typically weighing 30-50kg. It is thought this may have been a contributing factor in whether an army won or lost a battle.

"We found that carrying this kind of load spread across the body requires a lot more energy than carrying the same weight in a backpack," says lead researcher, Dr Graham Askew from the University of Leeds Faculty of Biological Sciences. "This is because, in a suit of armour, the limbs are loaded with weight, which means it takes more effort to swing them with each stride. If you're wearing a backpack, the weight is all in one place and swinging the limbs is easier."

The research team included academics from the Universities of Leeds, Milan and Auckland along with experts from the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK. Researchers worked with highly skilled fight interpreters from the Royal Armouries Museum, who wore exact replicas of four different types of European armour.

They undertook a range of walking and running exercises, during which their oxygen usage was measured through respirometry masks, providing researchers with a picture of how much energy was being used by the participants.

The study also showed that the armour had a clear impact on the soldier's breathing. Rather than taking deep breaths when they were exerting themselves - as they would have done had they not been wearing armour - the interpreters took a greater number of shallower breaths.

"Being wrapped in a tight shell of armour may have made soldiers feel safe," says co-[color=blue !important][font=inherit !important][color=blue !important][font=inherit !important]investigator[/color][/color] Dr Federico Formenti from the University of Auckland. "But you feel breathless as soon as you begin to move around in Medieval armour and this would likely limit a soldier's resistance to fight."

[/font][/font]

ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#12 MoeTheBarman

MoeTheBarman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

hey are you suscribed to Ancient warfare too?

I was but money is a bit scarce. I'm working part time while doing my electrician's qualifications :) My subscription for MW has just run out too so I need to find the pennies to renew that!

#13 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Interesting extract, Sword of Crom. Still, I have to imagine steel skin was usually more of an advantage than not. I've heard it was practically impossible to cut through plate or mail with a sword (though transferred inertia would still hurt like heck).
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#14 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:55 AM

Speaking from my SCA experience, considering how many times I got hit, without armor I would be a basket case. And if the swords had been real steel, I would simply be dead. But I can also testify that after running a mile in armor through a woods, by the time I arrived at my destination, I was too tired to fight.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#15 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:50 PM

but did you train for it IH?

#16 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

but did you train for it IH?

If you mean, did I train for endurance in armor, no, not specifically. After lots of fighter practice, my endurance during a fight increased,but that may simply have been because I had learned to pace myself.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at

#17 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:51 AM

so you would agree with me then this study is somewhat flawed in its methodology!

this is really not a very accurate statement when considered.

"Being wrapped in a tight shell of armour may have made soldiers feel safe," says co-[color=blue !important][font=inherit !important][color=blue !important][font=inherit !important]investigator[/color][/color] Dr Federico Formenti from the University of Auckland. "But you feel breathless as soon as you begin to move around in Medieval armour and this would likely limit a soldier's resistance to fight."

#18 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

topping for IH

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

so you would agree with me then this study is somewhat flawed in its methodology!

this is really not a very accurate statement when considered.

What I would say is that after more than minimal training, a weekend warrior does NOT feel breathless as soon as he begins to move around in medieval armor. I definitely felt breathless after running a mile in armor over rugged terrain. But I knew well-conditioned fighters (on the level of amateur, not professional, athletes), who were ready to fight after running around in armor. This has some dependence on the age of the fighters, and the weather. I had some severe endurance difficulties on a hot day when I was in my early 40's, and fighters in their early 20's were much better off than me. On the other hand, I remember a cold day in my late 40's, when I hauled and stacked hay bales, in armor, in the morning, and then fought tirelessly all the rest of the day, because it was cold.

I really feel for those northern European Crusaders fighting in the Holy Land. Talk about blood, SWEAT, and tears!

Edited by Ironhand, 30 April 2012 - 08:12 AM.