32 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

Does anyone know of a film that flopped like a drunken hippo, that later were remade after some corrections? I think Jason Momoa looked and acted the role so well, that it would be a shame not to see him in a sequel.

Would it be possible to remove some highly criticized scenes and replace them with photage intended for an extended version that might never be shown now anyways, due to the belly up flop.

Perhaps even add some limited material particurlarly scenes with Alina P. Perhaps introducing a second Conan the youngster, for much missed stories about his upbringing, training and early adventures. Perhaps having another gueststarring actor playing Conan´s grandfather. Hopefully Arnold Schwarzenegger when we are still dreaming.

Shot in 2D, reusing and recycling the movie and then make a very very very decent marketing campaign. Shouldn´t cost that much.

#2 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:43 AM

I don't know any numbers, but the Punisher was made three times, once with Dolph Lundgren in 1989. The second time with Thomas Jane in 2004. And, the third time with Ray Stevenson in 2008.

None of the three captured the character and genre quite right. I like the Tom Jane one the best. Done correctly (like Conan), I think it could be a hell of a movie.

#3 monk

monk

Sword of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

Would it be possible to remove some highly criticized scenes and replace them with photage intended for an extended version that might never be shown now anyways, due to the belly up flop.

you mean like how a fan cut out all the jar jar binks footage from phantom menace and made their own cut?

problem with CtB is all the plot holes you'd probably end up with 20 minutes of usable footage. Just a haphazard guess.
"I live, I BURN WITH LIFE, I love, I slay, and am content."
"Here's to brother Painbrush, we drink to his Shade..."
"All Art Is Martial"- RZA

"Our basic purist premise:
ROBERT E. HOWARD, ENTIRELY ALONE, WITHOUT ASSISTANCE FROM ANY OTHER PERSON, CREATED THE CHARACTER CONAN OF CIMMERIA. NO OTHER PERSON OR PERSONS SHOULD BE INTRUDING THEIR WORK INTO THE VOLUMES OF HOWARD'S CONAN STORIES.
In essence, we believe that the work of any creative artist -- writer, painter, illustrator, musician, what-have-you -- is a unique expression of an artistic point of view. It should not be appropriated or altered by others without the artist's consent. No other writer has Robert E. Howard's unique point of view, and no other writer knows what Howard would have done with his character had he lived. Upon his death, his canon, the expression of his artistic vision, became fixed. Tampering with it now is desecration."

#4 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

you mean like how a fan cut out all the jar jar binks footage from phantom menace and made their own cut?

problem with CtB is all the plot holes you'd probably end up with 20 minutes of usable footage. Just a haphazard guess.

:rolleyes: yes...exactly like that. But removing plotholes.

#5 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

I don't know any numbers, but the Punisher was made three times, once with Dolph Lundgren in 1989. The second time with Thomas Jane in 2004. And, the third time with Ray Stevenson in 2008.

None of the three captured the character and genre quite right. I like the Tom Jane one the best. Done correctly (like Conan), I think it could be a hell of a movie.

I agree...but one theory about the causes of the flop is poor marketing. It did very well in Russia for instance but no american watched the film it seems. They should hire those russian guys.

#6 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

I agree...but one theory about the causes of the flop is poor marketing. It did very well in Russia for instance but no american watched the film it seems. They should hire those russian guys.

Hmm, John Carter did pretty well in Russia too...

#7 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:49 PM

Does anyone know of a film that flopped like a drunken hippo, that later were remade after some corrections? I

Alexander was re-cut twice. I saw the second version (the Directors cut), and thought it was a total POS. Never bothered to watch the final cut.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#8 lushua12

lushua12

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:43 PM

anyone else a little bothered with the fact that this was remade in the first place. c'mon, arnold IS the only conan

#9 Taranaich

Taranaich

Metal Barbarian Dinosaur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,932 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:40 PM

anyone else a little bothered with the fact that this was remade in the first place. c'mon, arnold IS the only conan

I can tell you're knew around here, so welcome to the forums, lushua12!

Robert E. Howard, 1906 - 2006

Sword & Sorcery! Posted Image Posted Image Historical Fiction!
Horror! Posted Image Posted Image Westerns!
Boxing! Posted Image Posted Image Conan!

#10 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

You might find this forum more receptive to your particular point of view, lushua12:

http://conancompleti...n-the-barbarian

To answer you point:
No I wasn't
No it wasn't
and No, he's not.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#11 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

Sure, and George Clooney IS the only Batman. :rolleyes:

#12 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

Conan begged to be remade so we could forget about Arnold and how he and Milius defamed Conan.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#13 Roargathor

Roargathor

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:36 AM

Despite all logic and reason, I keep checking this forum becuase there's a stubborn sliver of hope that I might see some news about a sequel. I dunno guys, I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that the powers that be have done everything in their power to turn the Conan licence as a toxic asset. I really hate being negetive. It's all just a terrible shame.

#14 duaneshadow

duaneshadow

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

a new, kind and gentle Taranich :P

gently done sir.
'why does he have to be a misfit? Why can't he be handsome and kind?'

'You're still a dreamer girl'.

#15 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I think he is certainly "a Conan" and a darned good one too...

Common name in Cimmeria maybe..;)

#16 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Hmm, John Carter did pretty well in Russia too...

Because it is on the "red" planet? :ph34r:

#17 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

I thought the story was that Milennium cut the marketing campaign, because of the initial premier flop. In my own country, I believe people just went to see irresistable Planet of the Apes insted, and then they were somewhat oblivious to the fact that there were a fantasy/action/horror movie, showing. There are still posters hanging about in our local movietheater about the Smurfs3D, but I never saw one poster ever for CtB2011. I live in a small town though...

But they shouldn´t have made it in 3D, actually it looks great in 2D. I watch it from time to time, completely biased of course but it deserved larger audience.

#18 kai

kai

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

First off... CTB(2011) was at best a "middling" film. Nispel again took a great premise and first act (just as he did with PATHFINDER) and let it degenerate into a tepid mess.

Will they make a sequel to CTB(2011)? No. It made approx. $50 million worldwide but didn't recoup its budget ($90 million).

Where CTB(2011) differs from a movie like critically panned CLASH OF THE TITANS which spawned a sequel, is that CLASH was a critical failure and did poorly in the US, but it did very well overseas. It made money... just not primarily from US viewers. CTB(2011) didn't do really great anywhere.

Could CTB(2011) have broken even with a better ad campaign? Possibly, but the ad campaign for the film was probably slashed after test screens told the studio that the movie wasn't good. They probably weighed the cost of re-writing and re-shoots against eating the loss/tax right-off and chose to back away from the movie. That's when they cut the ad budget.

Also, it's important to note, CTB(2011) had no star to anchor the film -- to automatically attract viewers (Arnold was already a household name when CTB(1982) was released. It made him a superstar.). Without a star as CONAN, there was no will from the moneymen to push Nispel's work. I'm no lover of the "star system," but a star as CONAN would have kept the ad campaign budget high and could have made this movie at least break even. You can see the same issue with Kitsch in JOHN CARTER OF MARS. Who's he? You get my point.

Will they re-cut CTB(2011) or try to create a better film for release? No, it costs too much for theatrical distribution. Their chance for that was on DVD/BluRay (new cut, director's cut, etc), but it's questionable whether Nispel is a good enough storyteller to create a better film with what he shot... and it's probable that the studio wouldn't want to spend anymore money on a loss.

Will another CONAN movie ever be released? Yes, I'm sure. It'll take a few years, but it will happen. I'm reminded of THE PHANTOM starring Billy Zane. There's a character without much familiartity on the street nowadays, but it was made... and flopped. A few years later, it was back in cartoons, some direct-to-video movies and a ScyFy Channel tv series. And that was for a character who never had a successful movie! CONAN has two extremely successfull movies under his belt; the character has shown a history of bankability. He'll be back.

Now, as I write this, I'm finding myself thinking about HBO's GAME OF THRONES. It's a dark, violent, political fantasy. And then there's Starz' ultra-violent SPARTACUS. IMHO, a CONAN cable tv series (not a rehash of the Rolf Moeller CONAN series) would be a better place for CONAN to grow an audience... and tell stories more akin to Howard's source material.

Lastly, for those who might think there isn't a modern audience for sword-and-sandal or sword-and-sorcery movies, I give THE IMMORTALS. It cost $75 million and made almost $230 million worldwide. No big star, but very visual and a HUGE ad campaign. Make a good CONAN film (or series) and people will watch it.

Edited by kai, 25 April 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#19 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

I love, Spartacus and Game of Thrones to a somewhat lesser extent. A Conan, or other sword and sorcery production like that would make me happy again.

#20 cherryfunk

cherryfunk

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:09 PM

Can we stop blaming the marketing campaign for the recent film's poor performance? It did poorly because it sucked, end of story. It's an awful mess of a film with a ridiculous, nonsensical plot, an absurd and totally unbelievable love story, a completely forgettable score, a yawn-inducing climax -- you name it, every element of this endeavor was horrific except for Momoa's performance.

Marketing shmarketing. You want a fall guy, look at the writers, the director, the composer, and, ultimately, the producers who hired all of the above.