28 replies to this topic

#1 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

If you could ask REH one question or interrogate him on a specific subject, what would it be?

For me, it'd be, "So, tell me about Atlantis." The more I learn about Conan that more the Pre-Cataclysmic Pre-Thurian age fascinates me; it'd be so interesting to know what he thought of the murky past of the Earth.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#2 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:11 PM

If you could ask REH one question or interrogate him on a specific subject, what would it be?

For me, it'd be, "So, tell me about Atlantis." The more I learn about Conan that more the Pre-Cataclysmic Pre-Thurian age fascinates me; it'd be so interesting to know what he thought of the murky past of the Earth.

Well, REH wrote plenty about Atlantis while he was alive, so it's not exactly a big secret to uncover. Have you read the Kull stories, or Skullface?

As for what I would ask him, I'm sure I could come up with plenty of questions if I gave the subect a lot of thought, but I suppose I would ask him about the fate of Conan's women, like Natala, and Sancha, for example, and whether or not Conan made good on his vow to marry Zenobia.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#3 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

Well, REH wrote plenty about Atlantis while he was alive, so it's not exactly a big secret to uncover. Have you read the Kull stories, or Skullface?

I have, that's why I'm so interested! That gleaming, arcane civilization just on the cusp of imagination is a major thing that gets me in fantasy (be it Melnibone, Silmarillion, Pre-Thurian times). It stems from realizing, as a child, that Babylonean cities were not like American cities at all.

As for what I would ask him, I'm sure I could come up with plenty of questions if I gave the subect a lot of thought, but I suppose I would ask him about the fate of Conan's women, like Natala, and Sancha, for example, and whether or not Conan made good on his vow to marry Zenobia

You know, my speculation on this is that Conan probably left them pretty well off. If they got into trouble after that who knows, but the ones he liked and who could take care of themselves probably walked away with something of a fortune. Conan himself could have amassed a fortune, but he preferred to be a walking boom economy, I think.

#4 EM Erdelac

EM Erdelac

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

I would ask him why he committed suicide. Why didn't he stick it out?

#5 Libaax

Libaax

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

I would ask what was his plans for the near future of his writing ? Would he keep writing in the mag pulp markets or did he plan to write novels of his fav genres? Was he feeling that his creativity was about to end, his writing career was soon over ? Several classic writers of pulp eras burned out after a decade or so as writers. Hammett world view stopped him from believing in a man could change a coruppt world which was what his PI stories was about.

Why he did what he did in the last moments of his life is for people who could have helped him get past his personal problems.

Edited by Libaax, 16 April 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#6 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:52 PM

I would ask him if Conan did indeed stride out of the west to stand by his Son Conn's side in defense of Aquilonia.

Edited by Konorg, 16 April 2012 - 06:53 PM.

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#7 guilalah

guilalah

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

I'd ask him if he thought Dark Agnes and Red Sonya ever crossed paths.

#8 Rob Roehm

Rob Roehm

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

I'd ask for a detailed outline of his biography.

Rob

#9 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

I would ask him if Conan did indeed stride out of the west to stand by his Son Conn's side in defense of Aquilonia.

Sorry to be a stickler, but since Conn was an invention of deCamp and Cater, we already know the answer to that question: no.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#10 mario

mario

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

probably on the current state of boxing(given we are talking about now not the 30's?), his thoughts on mma and the kinds of stories that would be possible..... and his thoughts on how awesome decamps and carters and nybergs sigurd is!!!!!!!!!...?

#11 Dan N.

Dan N.

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:17 AM

I'd ask for a detailed outline of his biography.

I'll second that. Just to sit and listen to him tell the story of his life, with as much embellishment and embroidery as he pleases, would be marvelous. I wouldn't pry or contradict; I'd just let a master storyteller weave his art.

#12 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:36 AM

I would ask him why he committed suicide. Why didn't he stick it out?

It always reminds me of what Ayn Rand said when she was asked what she thought of suicide, "Who knows how much a man can bear?"

#13 theagenes

theagenes

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'd like to know who his favorite character to write was.

Also I'd like to know what he thought about that up and coming kid from Detroit who just beat Primo C.arnera and Max Baer.
Check out my blog: An Age Undreamed Of

#14 Skullface

Skullface

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:30 AM

How about a full list of his work?
My fear is what we are missing would make us all nuts.
Might be better off to ask if he ever got past second base with Miss Price,just think of the black eye that might get you. :unsure:
Ask him to tell me a story...just anything...just tell me a good one.

#15 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

At what age did you first get a strong dark urge to kill yourself ?

And how many times did you come very close to suicide in your short lifetime?

What countries would you like to visit [ outside the USA ] if you could, and why ?

Who was your fave beautiful woman in your private fantasies: an actress; filmstar; singer ?

What do you think of the 'feeble-silly-wimps' who have always failed miserably to bring your 'Conan' character faithfully onto films?
--
[ these are just a few of the many questions I would have for Bob.
I could talk with him, and listen to him for many hours, if that dream could come true. ]

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#16 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

I'd ask him to describe to me what it was that feeling he said he had about someone standing behind him leading his efforts while he's been writing Conan stories. Was it a ghost of Conan who stood behind him telling him his adventures? Was he (Howard) a sort of medium for channeling Conan's spirit as a link between him and the paper? Was he felt like he's standing behind him in the darkness ready to cleave him in half if he stops writing? Was he the reason for his suicide?

Ok, with this last one I went more ito the talking to Howard's spirit or something.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#17 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

I would ask him what he would have done if he had still been alive when WWII started.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#18 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

Hm. That's interesting Ironhand. Is there any evidence of what Howard thought of Hemingway? I beieve Howard would be fascinated by someone like Hem.

Edited by Munthasem, 03 June 2012 - 11:06 AM.

?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.

#19 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,791 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:34 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I keep wondering if WWII might have saved REH's life? If the timing had been a little bit different?

I've got this scenario running in my head, where Hester is a little bit healthier, Bob goes off to war, gets the message about her death while he is at the front, grits his teeth, and keeps on soldiering.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#20 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Maybe, but also would participating in war change the style of his writing and how. I kind of see some similarities between him and Hemingway. Hem was a larger than life man. He fits into the mold of the old actors and filmmakers. Lee Marvin, Dean Martin, John Wayne, John Ford, Marlon Brando and alike. Guys who if we could brake it to the point, were just drinking, flirting, barfighting and making movies. Guys larger than life as Howard's characters were, but according to some Howard's bios and the way he was portrayed in The Whole Wide World, Howard himself never quite managed to be to the fullest.

In my opinion, the war would either drive him over the edge into insanity and he'd eventually lose his final touch with reality, probably heroically dying bursting onto enemy barehanded, maybe even thinking he actually is Conan or some other character like that or he'd just vince and become tougher and more aware of the situation and do everything he could to survive, which probably would drive his writings into some different direction.

Edited by Munthasem, 04 June 2012 - 11:01 PM.

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.