10 replies to this topic

#1 thestone

thestone

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

In Conan the Destroyer, did they ever specify the type of magic Queen Taramis had? Was it Witchcraft, Sorcery, or something else? I have only seen the movie, I never read the book.

#2 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,015 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 AM

There is no book. It's just a dumb movie.

Edited by Ironhand, 18 April 2012 - 04:08 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#3 Tex

Tex

BARKING Nuanced Thinker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:13 AM

The closest thing to a book for it was the novelization by Robert Jordan (twitch twitch.)

Tex
(yeah I bought it when it came out--I was younger then)

#4 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:08 PM

What's the difference between Witchcraft and Sorcery? :huh: I wasn't aware there was one.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#5 KG Thunder

KG Thunder

Swamped in gore.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:53 PM

What's the difference between Witchcraft and Sorcery? :huh: I wasn't aware there was one.

Witchcraft is for girls and sorcery is for boys. Haven't you ever read Harry Potter??? :P

Edited by KG Thunder, 18 April 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#6 thestone

thestone

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

http://www.thenewage...ft-and-sorcery/

#7 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:33 AM

I believe I read once that Wiccans are known to have their book of shadows which is filled with their favorite spells

#8 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Okay, then I would say that Taramis uses sorcery. Her own skills seem to be limited to simple hypnosis and sleep spells (pretty minor), her deity is "dead" without his horn attached, so he wouldn't be able to bestow power onto her, like Set for example, and she doesn't even perform the ritual herself at the end. Her high priest does. Tsotha Lanti and Solome clearly had innate sorcerous powers because of their bloodlines. I see no evidence of that in Taramis from the film.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#9 constantine

constantine

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

amster

The distinction is difficult and this New Age stuff hardly helps defining it. In modern Anglophone works of history and anthropology, the term Sorcery is usually associated with ritualistic magic, often of negative intent. Witchcraft was generally used for more simple practices, but it included potions, ointments and sometimes supernatural guidance (basically attributed to the Devil).

The whole thing is not very clear, since there is different terminology in other languages (and there were far fewer witchcraft trials in England compared with other countries.

In literature, of course, things are more lax and the same goes for movie scenarios. Taramis could be said to practice some minor witchcraft since sorcery is somewhat connected with more powerful spells.

In Howard's yarns almost all the magicians seem to have learnt magic from some source. Only Xaltotun seems to have a lomg sorcerous background. Even Tsotha and Salome had to study sorcery, hence the mention of it as well as spellbooks and scrolls.

Edited by constantine, 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM.

#10 BarbaricBludgeoning

BarbaricBludgeoning

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

dude clearly she's a warlock

#11 thestone

thestone

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

dude clearly she's a warlock

Actually, despite widely believed false information, the word “Warlock” does NOT mean a male witch… A warlock just means an “oath breaker.”

Men and Women who practice Witchcraft are both called “Witches.” It just happens that the female Witches heavily outnumber the males.