3 replies to this topic

#1 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

Ok some one in another thread mentioned the religion of Atlantis and was also wondering if the God of the Atlanteans Valka would be considered a dead god.

Anyway I like to speculate a bit now and then. So what if we take into coinsideration Carl Jungs theory on Archetypes..So what if all of the Gods that say Robert E.Howard wrote about,and all of us readers have read about in his stories and writings have in fact through the energy he gave them in mentioning them and we have given them by think about them both while reading the stories he wrote,and by discussing them on this forum ahve taken on a life of their on so to speak?

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#2 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:47 PM

What did Jung say?

#3 Konorg

Konorg

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:20 AM

I'll have to look him back up just 5 minutes ago I could have told you now my mind is a blank...must be too much Cimmerian ale!!! :rolleyes:

The aveage civilized man is never fully alive;he is burdened with masses of atrophied tisse and useless matter.Life flickers feebily in him;his senses sre dull and torpid...In devloping his intellect he has sacrificed far more then he realizes."

#4 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:16 AM

One has to wonder what kind of archetypes played in. The Greek Gods, often cognate with Mesopotamian and Aryan mythologies, began as personifications of natural elements. They were scarcely differentiated from the element itself, often only symbolically. Over time their anthropomorphic aspect became, at least, one of their forms (it was still not their true form - see Semele's death when Zeus reveals his true form).

As the playrights and philosophers began to dominate over mythical elements they harmonized and syncretized stories and gods. These 'final product' gods, exemplified in the plays of Euripedes, are basically people and variously amoral.
"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian