12 replies to this topic

#1 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Apart from "Age of Conan-the boardgame" what other boardgames have been made, ya think?

How would such a game look, anyone who has attempted to draw a map of some of these clashes?

Possible battles:

Battle of Shamu´s plain and siege of Shamar (Scarlet citadel)

Battle of the Valley of Valkia, and Battle of Valley of Lions (Hour of the Dragon)

Battle of Khauran (A Witch shall be born)

Battle of the Pass of Shamla (Black colossus)

Skirmishes:

Many...

Edited by Lunatic, 20 April 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#2 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:01 AM

I'm not really one for board games but I would really be interested In good Conan game,one that you could play Conan and based on his adventures.People talk about bringing new fans to R.E.H's work.I think that may be a way to do it.A game based on the events in the stories could work.I would certainly buy it.If the game was done well I'm sure it would encourage people to seek out the original stories.Game of Thrones has a video-game coming out.Can you Imagine a Conan similar to Skyrim.You could even have levels based on different aspects of Conan's career,his exploits as an adventurer,pirate or thief.It can even be spread across different games sort of like God of War,have a game devoted to different periods of Conan,s life...could you imagine something like the battle of Venarium in game form?Where you have to survive it with hordes of enemies to slaughter?Or a game world with all the richness of the Hyborian age to explore?Maybe it might be similar to Age of Conan but where you can play as Conan rather than a character from his time.Or maybe as Thoth-Amon or another wizard or villain.The boss characters could be monsters that Conan faces likeThak.The possibilities seem endless.I cant imagine why some game developer hasn't jumped at the chance to make such a game.If there little chance at getting a sequel to Conan 2011 maybe a video game would be another way to get Conan to a broader audience and deepen the fan base.Im sure there are plenty of Conan fans that would gladly pay cash for a good game.If the game is good enough It could bring new fans and spawn more interest in Conan merchandise.

#3 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

I'd love for Parker Brothers to make a Hyborian Age Risk game.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#4 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:12 AM

I'd love for Parker Brothers to make a Hyborian Age Risk game.

I'd be on that SO fast! Especially if they do it like the PC version with the armies animated and all.

#5 Kortoso

Kortoso

-=Reiver of the Western Marches=-

• Members
  • 10,400 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:48 PM

Would it be hard to make it yourself? :unsure:

#6 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

No, but it would look like monopoly if I made it. :wacko:

#7 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:40 AM

To make one of quality, yes. It would take perhaps hundreds of man hours. You'd need a very large map of the Hyborian Age, such as a high quality poster sized photocopy printed at Office Depot, etc. You'd need to divide the map into the same amount of territories as the standard game. One could use lead wargame or D&D/fantasy figues for the game pieces (up to six players), such as Knights or Roman legions (sorry, I couldn't resist) for Hyborians, Mongols or Huns for Hyrkanians, Scots or Celts for Cimmerians, African tribesmen for Kushites, Indians for Picts, and Vikings for Nordheimer. You'd probably want to paint the game pieces one solid color to mimic the style of the game. It would take some work, but the end result could be spectacular. And while you're at it, how about a nice custom made Jetan Chess set? Anyone up to the challenge?
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#8 MisfitPanda

MisfitPanda

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 11:26 PM

They just released Munchkin Conan thru Steve Jackson games lol
...makes nightmares out of pretty dreams!

#9 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:06 PM

yes, I noticed there were a couple of Conan games on www.boardgamegeek.com

http://boardgamegeek...blood-treachery

That there is a Spartacus game that has a cool design from the looks of it. Cardgames is not my thing really.

#10 Malcadon

Malcadon

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

I was looking at the list of "Conan" games on BGG, and one of the card games gave me an idea: A Conan-themed version of Once Upon a Time. In OUaT, player take turns generating a (fairly) cohesive story, based on cards with common fairytale themes (people, places, items and events) printed on them. In the case of a Conan OUaT, the cards would list elements common with REH's Conan years. Such a game would be fun, and figuring-out what cards to make would be just as fun.

#11 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

Maybe a cool boardgame could be the "Battle of the Mounds". From CtB82, Thulsa Doom and his knights attempt to steal back the Zamoran princess while Conan, Subotai and Wizard defend the mound, setting secret traps and hiding to ambush.

#12 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,545 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Maybe a cool boardgame could be the "Battle of the Mounds". From CtB82, Thulsa Doom and his knights attempt to steal back the Zamoran princess while Conan, Subotai and Wizard defend the mound, setting secret traps and hiding to ambush.

I like it! Sometimes, board game designers try to be epic when simple and fun makes for a much better game.

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits! 

#13 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:15 AM

I like it! Sometimes, board game designers try to be epic when simple and fun makes for a much better game.

Also, one should be able to summon Valeria as a valkyrie! :rolleyes: