7 replies to this topic

#1 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

Are these post Thomas/Buscema stories worth reading?
Kurious Kev

http://www.amazon.co...393/ref=lh_ni_t
"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword

#2 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Kurious Kev

Hmmm if it's anything like the 'Chronicles of Conan' series, there might be a few decent stories mixed in with some bad ones. I can't say for sure, though, as I haven't read them.

Anyone know who the artists are? If there's no Buscema art, I might skip this one...
- The illegitimate son of Crom

#3 Kev

Kev

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 02:09 AM

Kurious Kev

Anyone know who the artists are? If there's no Buscema art, I might skip this one...

Silvestri, Frenz and Kupperberg are the artists. I've always been partial to Frenz as he is a bit of a throwback to Marvel Silver Age. A kind of a chameleon who can imitate both Kirby and Buscema very well. While I've never read or seen any of the King Conan series I don't think the art will be the problem, I'm more concerned about the stories themselves.
Kev
"Poets always hate those in power. To them perfection is always just behind the last corner, or beyond the next."
The Phoenix on the Sword

#4 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

Marvel Conan is not Howard Conan, but Roy Thomas is an excellent writer of fantasy comics and has done a lot of good work in Conan, Thor and I believe some Moorcock stuff, too. I consider Roy Thomas, along with Walt Simonson, to be one of the best fantasy-comic writers of the 20th century.

Now, like I said, it's not Howard's Conan. But they're pretty good little comics about a buff dude named Conan running around in Pastiche land. Certainly better than many of the Tor novels. Go into it expecting to read a fantasy comic and I think you'll get your money's worth, and you might be pleasantly surprised at how fun Thomas' adaptaitons of Howard's are; he's changed the tone but hasn't lost the sense of adventure and devils around every corner.

I found two giant boxes of these at my girlfriend's place in high school, I read them all in about two days.

Edited by RJMooreII, 06 May 2012 - 09:58 PM.

"Never trust a wizard - even in death." - Grognak the Barbarian

#5 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:10 AM

Thomas' Marvel Conan is a truer Conan than CTB82, and better written than CTB2012.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#6 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Thomas' Marvel Conan is a truer Conan than CTB82, and better written than CTB2012.

Seconded.

#7 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Years ago, I would agree. But, now that I've read more Howard, I think CTB82 is a much better movie than the credit I used to give, and it's tone seems very "Howard" to me--especially the recent "Director's Cut".

#8 RJMooreII

RJMooreII

Der Einzige

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Years ago, I would agree. But, now that I've read more Howard, I think CTB82 is a much better movie than the credit I used to give, and it's tone seems very "Howard" to me--especially the recent "Director's Cut".

I've always liked the film, but I don't think it does a particularly accurate Conan; though it does make good use of some elements of Howard's stories.