398 replies to this topic

#381 VonKalmbach

VonKalmbach

Scrawler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:00 PM

Some great angled perspectives there as well Dave. I don't know how you artists work all those angles out. Definite sense of the vertiginous on the hawks eye view in the second panel

“Do you try to write like the guys who write for the magazines you write for?” Clyde asked. “Hell, no,” Bob was emphatic about that. “I let them try to write like me.” - From One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis

“I'm learning all I can about the technique. There's where the true pleasure comes in, in any profession, learning the basic rules, the conventions, the technique... Some people are interested only in the finshed article. Not me. When I am interested in anything I want to see it in its crudest state and watch it evolve.”

"What did you say yore name was, amigo?" "Steve Costigan, A. B. on the sailing vessel Sea Girl," I answered. "I want you fellers to hang around and meet Bill O'Brien and Mushy Hanson, my shipmates, they'll be around purty soon with my bulldog Mike. I'm waitin' for 'em."

"I want to know where I came from and why and what relation I hold to the rest of the universe."

Robert E Howard

#382 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:41 AM

Great colors and detail for the city, Dave!  I can see why it took so long.  Is that a sunrise you're depicting on that page?

Yeah, I messed up with it and got too tired to fix it.  I redone it today and updated facebook and deviant.  It should have shown the setting skies over the city etc.  It is a young sun away back a million years etc, so more hostile and flares all over the show till it settles in are era according to the writer...so he wanted it really fired up.  Hopefully it is.  :)

1005959_10151472206151592_1262897559_n.j

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#383 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

Some great angled perspectives there as well Dave. I don't know how you artists work all those angles out. Definite sense of the vertiginous on the hawks eye view in the second panel

TY.....I don't really know what I am doing lol.  honestly, I imagine looking down on the scene in my head and try to draw it out roughly in pencil and then ink it and hope for the best.  A friend who does TD (Technical Drawing) of houses etc says he spends hours measuring distance lines, adding guidelines and fade points before he can begin to draw the house, I flop it down and hope for the best tehe.  Though as I play with these angles, I get a sense of learning to do it better next time around.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#384 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,773 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

Great colors and detail for the city, Dave!  I can see why it took so long.  Is that a sunrise you're depicting on that page?

Yeah, I messed up with it and got too tired to fix it.  I redone it today and updated facebook and deviant.  It should have shown the setting skies over the city etc.  It is a young sun away back a million years etc, so more hostile and flares all over the show till it settles in are era according to the writer...so he wanted it really fired up.  Hopefully it is.   :)

Ah ok, I figured it was the sun but wasn't sure since there's no dialogue yet.  Anyhow, I like your improvements upon it, and it's easier to tell now. It definitely does look hostile!

- The illegitimate son of Crom

#385 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:19 AM

A new Conan pic done in inks and digitally coloured.  I left it matty looking as I feel some times we over colour things to hell and leave it looking less like what you wanted in the first place.

conan_lurker_in_the_pool_by_athgul-d6jqo

#386 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

So hard to get a vision for something and let it rip on the page nowadays with busy hectic pace of life.  I just drop pencil to paper now and hope for the best tbh.  sort of like Kirby when he just starts in a position and goes elsewhere like I did with this piece above and another Conan drawing I will paste this week.

I have been accused of not being daring and exciting in my poses, so will try and change this for the next one.  :D

#387 cromsblood

cromsblood

Blood of Crom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:26 AM

So hard to get a vision for something and let it rip on the page nowadays with busy hectic pace of life.  I just drop pencil to paper now and hope for the best tbh.  sort of like Kirby when he just starts in a position and goes elsewhere like I did with this piece above and another Conan drawing I will paste this week.

I have been accused of not being daring and exciting in my poses, so will try and change this for the next one.   :D

I would NEVER accuse you of not being daring or exciting in your poses Dave.  I would love to see you shore up your anatomy.  This is a beautiful piece, but Conan's arms and legs and waist just aren't working for me.  There I said it...no hard feelings buddy! 

#388 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,793 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:07 AM

The sword in Conan's left hand is foreshortened in the wrong direction.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#389 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Pretty grim, I like the shading and the ripplings of the black water is a great effect. Nice job!

#390 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

I have been accused of not being daring and exciting in my poses, so will try and change this for the next one.   :D

I would NEVER accuse you of not being daring or exciting in your poses Dave.  I would love to see you shore up your anatomy.  This is a beautiful piece, but Conan's arms and legs and waist just aren't working for me.  There I said it...no hard feelings buddy! 

NO I agree too with your sentiments.   I see the issues when it is finished and not while doing it which is a flaw I need to check.  Truth be told I sometimes just leave it and let it take its course sort of thing.  I think my art can develop to something weird as I improve and get a stab at Wood's Conan with my style lol.   

Doing more angles to try and get the mind working instead of the easy up front basic style approach.  I went back to basics with this the next one, front angle. 

#391 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

The sword in Conan's left hand is foreshortened in the wrong direction.

:D they'll focus on the bits now godammit.  :blink:  

#392 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

Another Conan I had started a while back and never got round to completing.  Hope you enjoy the whole (though the leg area give me a headache and I went with it in the end even though flawed)....

1260873_10151608634076592_707627022_n.jp

#393 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Always thought the idea of pulling the curtain back and the snake beast waiting too simplistic, so I decided to add a small snake coming out of the bowl to his left as the real danger. Idea from AoC game Bowls of Set where they swamp you when you break the bowls. :D

conan_god_in_the_bowl_by_athgul-d6mo0ph.

#394 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

Nicely done!

#395 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

when your working on your own stuff, beavering away in the dark nights you forget about the many places you had travelled like Conan forums.  I finished the comic so I may do some more pics and pop them up here over the next few weeks.  :)

996034_10151728565476592_2115276659_n.jp

#396 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 03:26 AM

And this of Bran Mak Morn

1385650_10151727986496592_1388611694_n.j

#397 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:29 AM

Been a while since I was here, thought I would flood the place with some art I have done this year.  I think I am getting a tad better imo, though it is a learning curve for me, as I tend to suck at things, never taking them serious lol.  

Hope you enjoy the attempts at art though......  

1977139_10152196884146592_17479902846536

10264804_10152094066971592_4557556101966

1376589_10151969447806592_701908092_n.jp

#398 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

This is a picture from an animation my bro and I are working on, based on REH poem.   It is a long project heading into several years, the bro is doing this in his spare time and also has MS which causes him issues, but it is a labour off love and we will get there in the end.  3 minute animation based on my old comic strip printed in TGR a while back.

733808_10151840533821592_1621739525_n.jp

With added hi res details

1531832_10151840533801592_1797098860_n.j

Edited by Dave the Rage, 30 June 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#399 VonKalmbach

VonKalmbach

Scrawler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi Dave!

Good to see your art back on the forum, my fave being the one with Conan on the branch.

“Do you try to write like the guys who write for the magazines you write for?” Clyde asked. “Hell, no,” Bob was emphatic about that. “I let them try to write like me.” - From One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis

“I'm learning all I can about the technique. There's where the true pleasure comes in, in any profession, learning the basic rules, the conventions, the technique... Some people are interested only in the finshed article. Not me. When I am interested in anything I want to see it in its crudest state and watch it evolve.”

"What did you say yore name was, amigo?" "Steve Costigan, A. B. on the sailing vessel Sea Girl," I answered. "I want you fellers to hang around and meet Bill O'Brien and Mushy Hanson, my shipmates, they'll be around purty soon with my bulldog Mike. I'm waitin' for 'em."

"I want to know where I came from and why and what relation I hold to the rest of the universe."

Robert E Howard