WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:38 AM

My greatest infuence

John Buscema - Tony Dezuniga

Conan-in-a-Grave-inked1.jpg

Can't beat these guys in representing the barbarian imo.  Good taste.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#403 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:39 AM

If this is your work, hat of to you sir.  Really captures the mood of the barbarian and the style of old.  :D

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#404 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:01 AM

I still beaver away into the night when rereading REH, taking inspiration from his verse.   

Some new doddles I have done this year.  

Traditional pen and ink and sometimes digitally coloured in Gimp2.

10845913_10152515347601592_9069741889338

#405 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:02 AM

I really should colour these, but I like the old B&W days of Conan.  

This was inspired by QotBC as I reread it recently and thought Howard;s black characters are strong and courageous as he.  Hence they ruled the seas with fear.

1471263_10152488925151592_68671139769048

Edited by Dave the Rage, 13 December 2014 - 04:12 AM.

#406 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

This is a new one of Horhay the Baverian fighting the lurker.  This should make it into issue 2 of Horhay King of Fools.   Independent comics.

1977139_10152196884146592_17479902846536

#407 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:06 AM

Did this one a few years back, but still like Conan being a normal sea faring adventurer without the size etc.  A more Tarzan type in appearance as a well dressed sea man.  :D

405659_10150503691961592_425525670_n.jpg

#408 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hopefully you can see these, always forget about Facebook settings and secuirty.

#409 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:11 AM

Some new pages for issue 2 of Horhay I thought I would share.  I dont do it for fame or fortune but for the love of the lore.   :D

10516799_10152442054151592_7019311378796

and 

10445550_10152509785831592_1119049249011

#410 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 04:15 AM

Should be out for beginning of next year, hopefully if time permits, and ink keeps flowing....who needs cash when you have ink left in the jar.  :P

#411 VonKalmbach

VonKalmbach

Scrawler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:45 PM

Great to see you back again Dave and thanks for sharing more of your art with us. I like your sea faring Conan pic the best. Great colours and a totally awesome moon in that one. Your Solomon Kane's are still some of my faves among your pics, esp your Solomon Kane in the cemetary.

“Do you try to write like the guys who write for the magazines you write for?” Clyde asked. “Hell, no,” Bob was emphatic about that. “I let them try to write like me.” - From One Who Walked Alone by Novalyne Price Ellis

“I'm learning all I can about the technique. There's where the true pleasure comes in, in any profession, learning the basic rules, the conventions, the technique... Some people are interested only in the finshed article. Not me. When I am interested in anything I want to see it in its crudest state and watch it evolve.”

"I want to know where I came from and why and what relation I hold to the rest of the universe."

Robert E Howard

#412 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,072 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:12 AM

Did this one a few years back, but still like Conan being a normal sea faring adventurer without the size etc.  A more Tarzan type in appearance as a well dressed sea man.   :D

Who's the tough b^tch climbing over the gunwhale?
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#413 Officer Aggro

Officer Aggro

Infidel Defiler

• Moderators
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:17 AM

Did this one a few years back, but still like Conan being a normal sea faring adventurer without the size etc.  A more Tarzan type in appearance as a well dressed sea man.   :D

Nice one!  I always enjoy your coloring and your color choices.  B)

- The illegitimate son of Crom