#1 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

CONAN VOLUME 13: QUEEN OF THE BLACK COAST HCPosted Image
Brian Wood (W), Becky Cloonan (A), James Harren (A), Dave Stewart ©, and Massimo Carnevale (Cover)
Kicking off Dark Horse's sweeping adaptation of Robert E. Howard's "Queen of the Black Coast," Conan turns his back on the civilized world and takes to the Western Ocean. Finding first danger and then passion in the arms of the pirate queen Bêlit, the Cimmerian begins a new life of pleasure and pillage along the Black Coast, in this epic of romance and terror! Collect issues #1-#6 of the Conan the Barbarian series.
152 pages, $24.99, in stores on Jan. 16.

I really want to see if there's some kind of introduction.

Edited by johnnypt, 20 August 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#2 Battleborn

Battleborn

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

I have all of the hardcovers so far,but no way in hell thats going on my shelf.

#3 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

Same here. Have collected them all so far, though thought that the quality started to slip. Won't be buying 13

#4 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

I'll buy it although I can't stand the art. Hopefully, the writing is good.

#5 johnnypt

johnnypt

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'll buy it although I can't stand the art. Hopefully, the writing is good.

The writing in this volume is pretty good. Its faithfulness (or lack thereof) to Howard is where your problems may or may not arise.

#6 Boot

Boot

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

The writing in this volume is pretty good. Its faithfulness (or lack thereof) to Howard is where your problems may or may not arise.

I'll probably enjoy it then--the writing, at least. For example, I like a lot of the things Funcom did to visualize the Hyborian Age in the Age of Conan MMO. Some shout how it may deviate from Howard's vision. I think they did a good job.

OTOH, I don't like the Janissa character that much (from the other thread) in the Dark Horse comics, and I think the Bone Woman's sorcery doesn't fit at all in Howard's universe.

In the Kern novels, the Cimmerian half-breed, Kern, wears a skin pancho. I've heard Howard purists balk at that. I didn't see a problem.

It just depends, I guess, on what the changes are. To me, some are palatable, and some are not.

Edited by Boot, 20 August 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#7 1980conanfan

1980conanfan

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

I disliked the art so much I could not finish the first issue. I'm spoiled by Cary Nord and Tomas Giorello.

#8 Aquilonia

Aquilonia

Into the dark, with my merciless sword

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

I only buy what is good. I can`t stand the idea of buying something that is not worthy, specially when it comes to Conan, who I grew up reading (I must confess, I got spoiled by Thomas, Buscema, Alcala, Zuniga and Smith, but what can I do?).
I didn`t buy any of the Road to Kings trades (bad art and so, so story), but I might get this, since I liked some of Cloonan`s panels, the other artist and Wood`s introduction to Conan and Belit.
The downside of Volume 13 is that Dark Horse is using as the cover a piece of art that has already featured # 2 of the new series. It sucks. It was so nice to see in each trade a new cover, like in Iron Shadows in the Moon, which was masterfully done by Cary Nord.
Why is that, Dark Horse?
Most likely won`t get the next trade because from # 7 on, It seems that Conan is in a dark moment. Bad artists fill in the gaps every month, a writer that doesn`t have a clue what to do with the Cimmerian (or, if he does, he decided not to respect him and build his own Conan, without taking into account Howard`s creation), and now trades that doesn`t even have new cover art! What a mess, Dark Horse. Hope sales go down...

Edited by Aquilonia, 04 September 2012 - 05:44 PM.

#9 Strom

Strom

Fearing No Evil

• Admin
  • 8,560 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:54 AM

Preview is up on QoTBC:

http://www.darkhorse...s/22-187?page=0

Posted Image

Join and Support The Robert E. Howard Foundation!  Membership has Benefits!