• Please log in to reply
1078 replies to this topic

#1 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

http://www.thearnold...king-conan.html

King Conan book tease!
Ten years ago AintItCoolNews.com helped TheArnoldFans.com to obtain over 14,000 signatures on our "King Conan: Crown of Iron" petition. In 2003 Arnold agreed to star in King Conan as his follow-up film to T3. We all know what happened next. Well, good news, it may be moving forward again. I've uncovered some very interesting news and comments regarding Arnold wanting back in. Not only did Jennings of TAFs speak with several of Arnold's closets friends regarding his very possible return, I also have some interesting comments from the Conan right holders at Paradox. Wait until you read these comments and interviews! Conan's Sandahl Bergman is on the book's cover with me.
Naturally, NOW is the perfect time for Arnold to reprise this role. At the end of the first two films, it shows him roughly at a 65-year-old, grey bearded and looking ballsy. Well, guess what, The Oak has matured!

http://m.joblo.com/joblo/news/44927

Now that Arnold Schwarzenegger is acting again at full strength, the rumor mills have been working overtime to discuss the potential projects he may be entertaining. At the top of the list are returns to two of the franchises he is synonymous with: CONAN and THE TERMINATOR.

In terms of CONAN, after the disastrous reboot from a couple years ago the only way that fans would pack theaters would be if Arnold himself returned to the series. The man is much older but that could come into play in the story, especially if they spin the oft-discussed KING CONAN to use Schwarzenegger's age as a plot device to, for lack of a better phrase, come out of retirement to crack some skulls again.

During his book tour in France, Schwarzenegger was directly asked about CONAN and had this to say (translated from French, so excuse the grammatical errors): "I made contacts in that respect, because it is a project that is particularly dear to me. I must first shoot Ten by David Ayer, but then we're going to focus on it. Remains to be seen who would direct and if it is John Milius script which would be adapted."

Edited by Strom, 26 October 2012 - 10:08 PM.
Title of topic changed on 10/26/12 to reflect change from speculation to reality

Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#2 username

username

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

I also have some interesting comments from the Conan right holders at Paradox. Wait until you read these comments and interviews!

I believe plans for Terminator 5 have fallen apart, so it makes sense that Arnold would be trying to get Conan back. However, has anyone from Paradox actually hinted at such a development? The Arnold Fans have been hyping King Conan rumors for well over a decade now, so it's hard to know how seriously to take this latest news.

#3 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

That would be so cool! :)

#4 turko

turko

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I believe plans for Terminator 5 have fallen apart, so it makes sense that Arnold would be trying to get Conan back. However, has anyone from Paradox actually hinted at such a development? The Arnold Fans have been hyping King Conan rumors for well over a decade now, so it's hard to know how seriously to take this latest news.

At this point I think it would pretty much be free money for anyone involved in another Arnold Conan movie.... I honestly think it would have to be absolutely terribly atrocious for it not to at least break even or make a profit.

#5 warrior900

warrior900

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

Conan could get caught by his queen banging the chamber maid
He stood like an image of the unconquerable primordial ? legs braced far apart, head thrust forward, one hand clutching the wall for support, the other gripping the ax on high, with the great corded muscles standing out in iron ridges, and his features frozen in a death snarl of fury ? his eyes blazing?? ? The Phoenix on the Sword, REH

#6 Haemogoblin

Haemogoblin

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

Hollywood, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it... Money pleases you, Hollywood, so grant me one request! Give me this movie! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
He is grim and loveless, but at birth he breathes power to strive and slay into a man's soul. What else shall men ask of the gods?- Queen of the Black Coast

#7 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

Volva of Berk

• Members
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:38 PM

i'd like to read a synopsis written by Arnie about the 'King Conan' film plot which HE would like to do.
he has been in a lot of very successful action movies, and his ideas should be interesting.

i bet he could write a far better plot/script than the 'criminal-muppets' who slopped out the momoa-conaaan-trash.

the olde-man conan character by Terry Prattchet [ Cohen ? ] may be inspirational to old arnie ? :D

Actually, i'd rather see arnie in a wild action-comedy taking the piiiss out of conan and all fantasy and sifi movies. That could be a hit that the wide world of film-fans lap up?
--
Arnie looked magnificent as a young muscle-barbarian in his 2 conantic films. it was not conan, but i like em as b-movies.

Is he desperate for money now ?
or just needs to feed his huge ego, again ?

I want 'conaaan' v LOTR, Predators, Aliens, and much more fun... :)

...I wanna see a big laughing barbarian cutting up some surprised 'engineers' with a wicked sword...

HYBORIAN Limericks + Rhymes
Lots of FUN and serious new RHYMING Hyborian/Fantasy poetry.

"So I took to a life of adventure and daring
leaving most warriors drooling and staring.
After I danced with my exotic flesh baring
I would vanish into the new Sunrise glaring."

#8 RobP

RobP

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

I just wanna see a decent Conan movie. I doubt this will be it....

#9 thedarkman

thedarkman

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Sounds interesting. I'm not a huge fan of the Arnie Conan films, at least as "Conan" films. They were ok S&S movies, and I got a kick out of them. But a mature, experienced Arnold as King Conan, well, that has my intrest. At the very least, it would make money. And keep the door open for future Howard based projects. Think Bran Mak Morn, with a hard R rating, directed by del Toro, starring say, Manu Bennett from Spartacus.

#10 wulfhere

wulfhere

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

At the very least, it would make money. And keep the door open for future Howard based projects. Think Bran Mak Morn, with a hard R rating, directed by del Toro, starring say, Manu Bennett from Spartacus.

No, it would slam shut the door to any actual Howard adaptations. Hollywood thinks they did a faithful Conan movie, remember what they told us about the Momoa movie? It failed. If Arnold's Clown of Iron makes money we'd get more Conan the Destroyers and Red Sonjas.

#11 terryallenuk

terryallenuk

Barbarian from the British Isles

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

Not for me , I enjoyed bits of Arnie's CtB but wouldn't want him and / or Milius involved again - the commentary on the DVD was enough !!!!!

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group is dedicated to the characters created by Robert E Howard that have appeared in comic book form from Marvel Comics , Dark Horse Comics , BOOM Studios, Cross Plains Comics , Dynamite Entertainment etc.

http://groups.yahoo....REHcomicsgroup/

http://www.facebook.com/rehcomicsgroup

#12 username

username

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

No, it would slam shut the door to any actual Howard adaptations. Hollywood thinks they did a faithful Conan movie, remember what they told us about the Momoa movie?

Yes, it might be a good way to get a new Conan film greenlit sooner rather than later, but it would also cement the belief that only Arnold can play the role. This is why I was surprised by the implication that Paradox is interested, considering how long they've tried to escape the shadow of Arnold's portrayal.

Edited by username, 14 October 2012 - 07:16 PM.

#13 SLAYERx78

SLAYERx78

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:35 PM

Im still of the opinion its a good way to 'pass the torch' from arnie to a new actor to portray conan in a way the last film could not. Have mamoa or a new actor as younger conan either in flashbacks or a two part story. Arnie will bring the money and audiance, and maybe, if were lucky it might pave the way to future more faithful adaptions. Ctb82 wasnt a faithful adaption but it was a good movie, and a successful movie. Of course it succeeded in portraying an unhowerd version of conan but it did open a lot of doors, unfortunately no one at the time used those open doors to bring a true REH conan to life ...but i choose to see this as a possible hope.
"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars--Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingaria with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom in the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a SLAYER, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

....."let me live deep while I live , know the rich juices of red meat and stinging wine on my palate , the hot embrace of white arms , the mad exultation of battle when the blue-blades flame and crimson - and I am content. Let teachers priests and philosphers brood on questions of reality and illusion . I know this much ; if life is an illusion , then I am no less an illusion , and being so that illusion is real to ME .I live , I burn with life , I love , I SLAY , and I am content . "

#14 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Would be good and interesting for him to reprise his role as Conan, but he has aged badly in the body department, which I'm sure Stallone could sort out for him in 6 months, but his stunts would be lack luster and old man age imo. Though it would generate cash and possibly the push for Conan that we needed in terms of publicity, but then it will reshape Conan as Arnold again and we would be back to an era of Conans in his image as like the 80's, which in respect was the hayday for financial success in the comics, books and films because of him in a way!

I personally think it would be typical holywood Expendiables type project with no substance of Howard, which to me from that point I would not like it made at all, and leave CTB as the tribute it was to Arnold past. We need to move on and rejuvenate Conan from this point on as something mystical and dangerous and niche, not Gold Gym tshirt Arnold. So in the future we could see LOTR's type expendiature put into a lovelly crafted Howard depicted rampage on the screen. I feel Arnold will just keep us in the trap of another Conan film pfff!

Then again he is aged and more wiser from his political stint, so he brings more than brawn to the table this time, so a well crafted King Conan aged and wise in the ways of war and peace using tact and guile with legions of Aquilonia troops thundering across Hyboria to despatch the wizard controlling the undead as they sweep across Stygia and North wards would be epic!! But would they fund such a large vehicle in the end.....
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#15 MaxTheSilent

MaxTheSilent

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

I loved Milius's KING CONAN script and I think he is the only person who should direct it.

Why farm out the writing and/or directing duties to some flashy music video hack who has no idea how to tell a story (ala Nispel). MIlius created this version of Conan, he should be able to finish it. And now, over a decade after the script was written, the technology has gotten affordable enough so that it won't cost the earth to make.

Maybe Arnold and Verhoeven can finally do CRUSADE, too.

#16 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The only version of this which should be permissable would be Arnie as an aged King Conan reminiscing about his younger exploits, as portrayed by a younger actor, maybe Momoa, with a different screenwriter, NOT MILIUS, WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND CONAN. :angry:

Does the above look like I'm shouting? Well, that's right. I am sitting in front of my computer and shouting as I pound the desk.

Edited by Ironhand, 15 October 2012 - 07:52 AM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#17 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 822 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

NOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

The only version of this which should be permissable would be Arnie as an aged King Conan reminiscing about his younger exploits, as portrayed by a younger actor, maybe Momoa, with a different screenwriter, NOT MILIUS, WHO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND CONAN. :angry:

Does the above look like I'm shouting? Well, that's right. I am sitting in front of my computer and shouting as I pound the desk.

:D ! I can hear you all the way over here, Ironhand.

Arnold would look awesome in black armor. Slaying and reaving and having fun like in the olden days.

..and this story also will be told! /(finally!)

Edited by Lunatic, 15 October 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#18 cromsguts

cromsguts

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:05 PM

Please Crom no...
"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut," answered
Conan. "I threw my ax at the demon, and he took no hurt, but I might
have missed in the dusk, or a branch deflected its flight. I'm not
going out of my way looking for devils; but I wouldn't step out of my
path to let one go by."

#19 Waldgeist

Waldgeist

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:53 PM

Mh... Poor Conan. Arnold is even more into showing off his ego and throwing "one-liners" these days than ever before. So if he gets a say (and lets be honest, after the last fail-fest his name is the seller for this and not the Conan license) I doubt it will be a very good movie.

But we'll see if it ever gets made. It's not like Arnold will live forever and a fantasy movie still takes about a year at minimum to plan, AFTER they've gotten all the contracts signed and a director on board. Not saying Arnold should die, I wish him a healthy old age, but at his age, everything can happen, every day.
Let us show them our hearts and then show them theirs!

#20 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

I wish Arnold lots of Terminator and Expendable movies. Quick, somebody write some. Do I have to do it?

I got it! Expendables vs. Terminators! :wacko:

Edited by Ironhand, 15 October 2012 - 09:08 PM.

"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject