• Please log in to reply
1120 replies to this topic

#581 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

...then of course, there's a fourth possibility: TLoC is a hit, Universal decides to reboot the franchise, and since the new series ignores the Arnold trilogy, the producers decide to go back to the original REH stories for inspiration.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#582 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

If Batman fans had been as pessimistic and stubborn-minded about trash-canning any future attempts at handling the franchise after the Joel Schumacher 'Batman Forever/'Batman & Robin' debacle, as some Conan fans around here are about LoC (and its potential future offshoots) because of their personal gripes about the Arnold-era films, we wouldn't have the most excellent Christopher Nolan films which have - in essence - revived that character's stock 1000+ % in pretty much any medium one could care to mention. Think about it.

Yeah I have to agree as Batman was down in the dumps too, mind you not as bad as Conan comic sales though around the time I think. Though you could point out that Nolan got his inspiration from the Dark Knight series graphic novels that brought Batman to life for adults more by Moore or was it Miller? But anyways in the end they used good source material to refloat the Batman boat. Maybe going back to Thomas and BWS source which was the ball that got the Conan sales started would be the thing to do to get a franchise like Conan reset in the mindsets of the general public and push for that A class market, but alas Arnold doing it is maybe a pipe dream until his figures come in for his new films to come out?
?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#583 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I DO go to the dentist from time to time, and I HAVE had life-saving surgery. I never had to pretend to enjoy it.
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#584 Ironhand

Ironhand

The Mad Playwright

• Members
  • 8,896 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

...then of course, there's a fourth possibility: TLoC is a hit, Universal decides to reboot the franchise, and since the new series ignores the Arnold trilogy, the producers decide to go back to the original REH stories for inspiration.

That would make my decade. :rolleyes:
"Did you deem yourself strong, because you were able to twist the heads off civilized folk, poor weaklings with muscles like rotten string? Hell! Break the neck of a wild Cimmerian bull before you call yourself strong. I did that, before I was a full-grown man...!" - Conan, in "Shadows in Zamboula", by Robert E. Howard
"... you speak of Venarium familiarly. Perhaps you were there?"
"I was," grunted [Conan]. "I was one of the horde that swarmed over the hills. I hadn't yet seen fifteen snows, but already my name was repeated about the council fires." - "Beyond the Black River", by Robert E. Howard

Read my Conan screenplays at The Scrolls of Ironhand (in particular my transcription of THE FROST GIANT'S DAUGHTER in Act II of "The Snow Devil") at
http://www.scrollsof...d.us/index.html or at
http://www.delicious...ic=ConanProject

#585 Lunatic

Lunatic

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

Darkhorse comics went back to the REH origins and had some sucess. I think the low quality marvel comics in their hayeday years have done much more of damage to the Conan brand then the powerful CtB82 ever did.

#586 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

Darkhorse comics went back to the REH origins and had some sucess. I think the low quality marvel comics in their hayeday years have done much more of damage to the Conan brand then the powerful CtB82 ever did.

Without them old SSoC we would not have had a film I think in the end. They give alot of popularity to Conan as well as the books imao. I would think taking Thomas adaptations and doing some thing on them would fill REH cup for me and the comic fans and also allow a film that should have been done to be done right this time. I believe The Destroyer was Thomas input to screen writing, but hey they cut all his ideas to pulp from what I read, we may have got a better movie than what we got then if they had not. So give him the reigns/reins to try again for the new Arnuld movie? :)

Edited by Dave the Rage, 14 January 2013 - 01:25 AM.

?I do not accept as matter of belief certain things in this history, or rather fiction; for some things are diabolical superstitions, some are poetical inventions, some have the semblance of truth, some have not; and some are meant for the entertainment of fools.? Book of Leinster ? 12th century

#587 gungnir_1972

gungnir_1972

Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 AM

The Conan movie franchise can become a strong, money making franchise again much like Batman.But the key to that sucess lies in movie makers listening to fans.The Tim Burton film hired Bob Kane (Batman's co-creator)to please fans and it was reflected at the box office.After M.Keaton left the franchise took a nosedive and we got the beyond horrible Batman Forever,Batman and Robin.Joel Schumacher with the help of George Clooney almost destroyed the Batman movie franchise.Clooney himself admitted as much and even went on to say that he and Schumacher never made another Batman film because Batman was "gay" and a "waste of money".How could any movie franchise expect to suceed with the director and lead actor disrespecting the source material like that?

Batman in terms of movies was dead...V.Kilmer,Clooney were good actors but their films sucked.What saved Batman was that C.Nolan came along and took what was goood about Batman,paid attention to the source material and drew inspiration from it like Frank Miller's Batman:Year One,The Dark Knight Returns and several others.He mined the conics for good stuff and crafted his movies around that,his sucsess with Batman was no happy accident...he knew what he was doing.

Had a good director done that with Conan,used Howard's stories or the better Dark Horse adaptations we'd probablydiscussing sequels rather than depending on Arnold for our "salvation".If Morgan's LOC put's the final stamp on the Arnie\Millius Conan great but the real future lies in a reboot with a director that Can do for Conan what Nolan did for Batman.

Edited by gungnir_1972, 14 January 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#588 monolith

monolith

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Legend of Conan Possibly shooting in New Zealand

."Universal came forward and said, 'You're absolutely right,'" Arnold continues. "The previous regime had missed the boat here, but [Universal are] going to be serious about it and make a quality film with an A-director and A-writers and so on. We're going to make a film where Conan is at [my] age, so it's totally believable."

Knowles got the proto-scoop that the filmmakers are looking at the Hobbit-y vistas that come with "Peter Jackson's studio in New Zealand" as a possible home, although it sounds far from a done deal at this point. The AICN interview also sees Arnold confirming, as has been suggested before, thatLegend Of Conan is on a very fast track, with shooting possibly taking place in the latter part of this year.

http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=36184

A list director and writers.... I would not like to speculate who is in line for director.

#589 edgard

edgard

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Another Conan, another movie ... Arnold wanted 10 years ago, but anything should be better than the movie 2011.

Posted Image

#590 Grimmer

Grimmer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:36 PM

."Universal came forward and said, 'You're absolutely right,'" Arnold continues. "The previous regime had missed the boat here, but [Universal are] going to be serious about it and make a quality film with an A-director and A-writers and so on. We're going to make a film where Conan is at [my] age, so it's totally believable."
Knowles got the proto-scoop that the filmmakers are looking at the Hobbit-y vistas that come with "Peter Jackson's studio in New Zealand" as a possible home, although it sounds far from a done deal at this point. The AICN interview also sees Arnold confirming, as has been suggested before, thatLegend Of Conan is on a very fast track, with shooting possibly taking place in the latter part of this year.

A list director and writers.... I would not like to speculate who is in line for director.

Filming in New Zealand could be a very good thing if we could get some of the TORN bloggers to take an interest and give the project some much needed publicity through that website.

#591 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Filming in New Zealand could be a very good thing if we could get some of the TORN bloggers to take an interest and give the project some much needed publicity through that website.

New Zealand has been done to death in so many clones of Hobbits and other fantasy flicks. The steppes of Mongolia and maybe parts of Europe, especially Ireland with its rolling hills and islands, so when they do Island of the Iron Statues would not hurt at all! :)

#592 Grimmer

Grimmer

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Ireland would be an excellent location to shoot TLoC. I could see them heading back to Spain for portions of it though.

#593 ollonois

ollonois

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

why not in Almeria again?
For I am the Bringer of War
I am The Bearer Of The Black Sword
and my name will be known to all
Lord Elric of the Bright Empire of Melnibone
The Dragonlord

Domine-Dragonlord

#594 TiriusBanner

TiriusBanner

Spear Carrier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

I admit I don't really want to see 60+ Ahnold revisiting Conan. But I'm happy to see there's a chance for a decent Conan movie, and I'll deffinitely give it a shot. :)

What bothers me is that there is a HUGE hole between Conan's early years when he chops off Thulsa Doom's head and his time as king. I mean, what happened AFTER he played dodgeball with Doom's head, ripped off a horm from that rhino thingy, and his ascension to the throne? How the heck did he become a king in the first place?! That's one of the questions I never got an answer to, and believe me, it's not from the lack of research.

I think Arnie should make another Conan movie. I think he should've made one 30 years ago. But I just can't help but feel frustrated by the fact that I still don't know how the heck did he become a king. Sure, I don't know what new Conan will be about (if they ever make it), but I doubt they'd be able to pull off "Conan becomes a king" story with old Arnie. :blink:

Edited by TiriusBanner, 14 January 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#595 droc

droc

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

Ireland would be an excellent location to shoot TLoC. I could see them heading back to Spain for portions of it though.

Being Irish, there's nothing I'd like to see more than Ahnuld and Universal coming over there with loads of money and publicity and giving our economy a much-needed jab in the arm. And I think Ireland could maybe be great for Cimmeria. But the larger world of the Hyborian age is far too vast in landscape and in climate to be limited to the green green grass of Hibernia, IMO.

DROC

#596 Dave the Rage

Dave the Rage

WarLord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Being Irish, there's nothing I'd like to see more than Ahnuld and Universal coming over there with loads of money and publicity and giving our economy a much-needed jab in the arm. And I think Ireland could maybe be great for Cimmeria. But the larger world of the Hyborian age is far too vast in landscape and in climate to be limited to the green green grass of Hibernia, IMO.

DROC

SShhh! Don't tell them theres no desert, we make one for them!! ;P

Edited by Dave the Rage, 14 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#597 amster

amster

Maladjusted to the point of pychosis

• Banned
  • 6,219 posts
  • Location:Outside the ordered universe, where the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity.

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

I admit I don't really want to see 60+ Ahnold revisiting Conan. But I'm happy to see there's a chance for a decent Conan movie, and I'll deffinitely give it a shot. :)

What bothers me is that there is a HUGE hole between Conan's early years when he chops off Thulsa Doom's head and his time as king. I mean, what happened AFTER he played dodgeball with Doom's head, ripped off a horm from that rhino thingy, and his ascension to the throne? How the heck did he become a king in the first place?! That's one of the questions I never got an answer to, and believe me, it's not from the lack of research.

We can assume his career was somewhat like the Conan of the original REH stories (upon whom the character is based). He spent time as a pirate, a mercenary, and a bandit chieftan, roaming from one side of the continent to the other, until he eventually became king by his own hand. As to how that happened, REH never felt it necessary to explain it. If you don't care about quality, then I'd suggest you hunt down a copy of Conan the Liberator.
Posted Image
Money and muscle, that's what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won't do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won't enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it.
--Robert E. Howard to Harold Preece, ca. June 1928--

#598 Buxom Sorceress

Buxom Sorceress

magic signs

• Members
  • 6,308 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:28 AM

We can assume his career was somewhat like the Conan of the original REH stories (upon whom the character is based). He spent time as a pirate, a mercenary, and a bandit chieftan, roaming from one side of the continent to the other, until he eventually became king by his own hand. As to how that happened, REH never felt it necessary to explain it. If you don't care about quality, then I'd suggest you hunt down a copy of Conan the Liberator.

Hi Tiriusbanner :)

good help by Amster.

but that 'Liberator' tale is poor.
all you need to know is here...

http://conan.wikia.c...n_the_Liberator

But, ofcourse, if you are a fan of decamp then buy the book.
----
> Btw... oh i do hope 'universally' are reading...
and they put a little satyr, or 3, in the new film ?
that would make my entire year, and send me laughing like a hyena as i fly loop the loops on my emerald-turbo-barroom-stick... :D

#599 monolith

monolith

Adventurer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Why not Scotland as a location..... rugged beauty!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#600 Munthasem

Munthasem

Mauler of Shadizar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

Yeah.. Scotland is incredible.
?Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand,
strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming?.. WOO HOO?. What a RIDE!?

- Indian Larry Desmedt -
R.I.P. 1949. - 2004.